Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D3x image @ 4x5 ratio  (Read 3129 times)

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:20:50 am »

Since I've had my D3x,I've realised that I can set the camera with a 4x5 ratio and get a cropped view in the viewfinder.
The rest of the image is greyed out.
The actual file is saved in the same ratio.

You might think why bother,as you can shoot in 24x36 mode and crop the file later,but sometimes it's handy to shoot in the more useful 4x5 ratio.

What we need now is a D4x with a 35 MB sensor and than shoot in the 4x5 mode and still get a 30 MB file.

Best,

Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

MarkL

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:47 am »

I really wish they would make dslrs in a 4x5 ratio, I realise it may not be practical for some legacy reasons. Coming from medium and large format I can't get on with the 3:2 ratio at all especially in portrait orientation and hate having to wasting pixels by cropping.

I don't understand the ever greater push towards more and more elongated formats in the world of movies and computer screens either, not everything works as a panoramic!

NoahJackson

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:16 am »

There is a lot of truth to this. I'm starting to prefer alternative formats, including the 4x5 ratio since it helps offset my work from other photographers.

Noah

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:13:03 pm »

I usually prefer 3:2 for horizontals, but will sometimes use 4:5. For verticals it's the opposite, and I mostly prefer 5:4. The 5:4 mode in the D3x is useful because it allows you to compose for that format more precisely.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

kuau

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:02:03 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I usually prefer 3:2 for horizontals, but will sometimes use 4:5. For verticals it's the opposite, and I mostly prefer 5:4. The 5:4 mode in the D3x is useful because it allows you to compose for that format more precisely.

I do the exact same thing with my new D3x shoot vertical using the 4:5 mode and landscape using the default 3:2

Steven

TMARK

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »

Quote from: MarkL
I really wish they would make dslrs in a 4x5 ratio, I realise it may not be practical for some legacy reasons. Coming from medium and large format I can't get on with the 3:2 ratio at all especially in portrait orientation and hate having to wasting pixels by cropping.

I don't understand the ever greater push towards more and more elongated formats in the world of movies and computer screens either, not everything works as a panoramic!

The problem is that the new Magazine page is really a 3:2 monitor.  My clients lay everything out 3:2, rarely ever in portrait.  That being said, I loath 3:2 for verticals.

pschefz

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »

i am using 4x5 croplines on my screens in the canons...i shoot 95% vertical which ends up printed at roughly a 4x5 ratio...so the lines really help int he finder.....the 3:2 comes in handy in double page spreads....i would not want to "throw out" any extra data with an in camera crop, but i would much prefer a 4x5 chip and deal with horizontals as needed...

i think when canon/nikon come out with a truly new camera (not just the higher, faster, better, more) it will not be 35mm format....
schefz.com
artloch.com

william

D3x image @ 4x5 ratio
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:15:53 pm »

I shoot all my portraits (vertical or horizontal) using the 4x5 crop on my D3x.  It's my default setting.  I only change it back to 2x3 when shooting street photos.

Quote from: rethmeier
Since I've had my D3x,I've realised that I can set the camera with a 4x5 ratio and get a cropped view in the viewfinder.
The rest of the image is greyed out.
The actual file is saved in the same ratio.

You might think why bother,as you can shoot in 24x36 mode and crop the file later,but sometimes it's handy to shoot in the more useful 4x5 ratio.

What we need now is a D4x with a 35 MB sensor and than shoot in the 4x5 mode and still get a 30 MB file.

Best,

Willem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up