Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR or C1 for M9?  (Read 2399 times)

schrodingerscat

LR or C1 for M9?
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:01:10 pm »

Was wondering if Capture One might be a better fit for the M9, as C1 was initially developed for use with Kodak sensors. As I don't use a majority of the capabilities of Photoshop, I'm about done with that upgrade path(currently with CS4). The results with ACR have been very satisfactory, so looking to move to LR or C1.

If soft proofing makes it to Lightroom, that would be the last hurdle. And I can always finish PP in CS4 for printing, etc., 'till it does.

I fooled a bit with C1 awhile back and liked the results with 5DII files. After using PS since 7, learning  the UI and workflow for C1 is looking to be a long chew and I want to get a jump on it before getting the 9. If there isn't any substantive image quality difference between the two programs, I'll probably just stick with Adobe, tho the licensing and installation hoops can be a bit of a pain at times.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
LR or C1 for M9?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:18:36 pm »

I am interested in a comparison of these two programs as well, although not for use with an M9.  (Please don't think of this as hijacking the thread.  )  Specifically, I want to know about the IQ of LR 3 beta vs Capture One 5.  I have been recently testing the latter and find it to be far superior to LR 2.5 in terms of detail, color, tonal transitions, sharpness, NR etc, etc.  In short, C1-5 delivers the best IQ by far of any RAW converter that I have ever used or tested.  However, it lacks the local editing tools, file management capabilities and simple workflow of LR.

So, has LR upped the IQ significantly in v3 beta, or is it basically the same as before with new bells and whistles?  I plan to download a trial version, but I would like to hear the opinions of others as well.

Rob

once2work

• paulfan.com
LR or C1 for M9?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:21 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Was wondering if Capture One might be a better fit for the M9, as C1 was initially developed for use with Kodak sensors. As I don't use a majority of the capabilities of Photoshop, I'm about done with that upgrade path(currently with CS4). The results with ACR have been very satisfactory, so looking to move to LR or C1.

If soft proofing makes it to Lightroom, that would be the last hurdle. And I can always finish PP in CS4 for printing, etc., 'till it does.
I suggest you pay a visit of kenRockwell.com, for his article on M9; the best color he achieves was from PS CS2.

schrodingerscat

LR or C1 for M9?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:20:41 pm »

Quote from: once2work
I suggest you pay a visit of kenRockwell.com, for his article on M9; the best color he achieves was from PS CS2.

I've checked his site out a few times and find him a bit too dogmatic, and I haven't used CS2 in years. ACR has been steadily improving as it evolves and using CS2 would be quite a step backwards in that regard.

As The Capture One fellow pops in here once in awhile, was sort of hoping for feedback from him or Michael.

Maybe better to move this to the C1 thread?
Pages: [1]   Go Up