Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elinchrom Skyport and Olympus flash  (Read 2329 times)

RobertMcCabe

Elinchrom Skyport and Olympus flash
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:07:32 pm »

I have an Olympus fl36r flash unit that I can't get to work with my Elinchrom skyport. I have a hotshoe adapter plugged into the skyport receiver but the flash does not fire.
I have tested the same setup with a cannon flash and it works and have tested the Olympus flash with a pocket wizard remote and that works.  It seems that the combination of skyport and Olympus flash does not work. This seems very strange, anyone got an  idea of what is going on?

Kim Bentsen

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »

Try adding the short sync cable included with the Skyport between the Skyport itself and the camera PC x-sync socket.

Quote from: RobertMcCabe
I have an Olympus fl36r flash unit that I can't get to work with my Elinchrom skyport. I have a hotshoe adapter plugged into the skyport receiver but the flash does not fire.
I have tested the same setup with a cannon flash and it works and have tested the Olympus flash with a pocket wizard remote and that works.  It seems that the combination of skyport and Olympus flash does not work. This seems very strange, anyone got an  idea of what is going on?

RobertMcCabe

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:19:34 am »

I found cause of the problem in a discussion on Flickr. Apparently the signal from the Elinchrom skyport has a very sharp peak, which does not give some flash units time to respond. It apparently effects some Canon models. This was discovered by people using oscilloscopes (and far more time on their hands than me). The solution they came up with is adding a capacitor to the circuit. I might give this a try over xmas
Pages: [1]   Go Up