Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Statistical summary  (Read 3057 times)

buckshot

Statistical summary
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:25:55 am »

(Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm very new to Lightroom).

I'm curious to know what focal lengths I use most, but don't want to have to trawl through the catalogue image by image. So, is there any way to get a summary of what focal lengths I'm using for my photos. i.e. get Lightroom to generate some sort of statistical summary based on exif data?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:26:37 am by buckshot »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Statistical summary
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:06:29 pm »

Quote from: buckshot
(Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm very new to Lightroom).

I'm curious to know what focal lengths I use most, but don't want to have to trawl through the catalogue image by image. So, is there any way to get a summary of what focal lengths I'm using for my photos. i.e. get Lightroom to generate some sort of statistical summary based on exif data?

Not dumb at all - I had the same question a while back when I was figuring out which prime(s) to replace my awful Canon 28-105mm L lens. It appears LR doesn't do this out of the box, but there are several programs by googling - I used Image Ingester. It reports by lens, but you can parse the data easily if you want to compare all your lenses (zooms and primes included).

Greg Barnett

• http://
Statistical summary
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:45:28 pm »

Take a look at this LR plugin by Jeffery Friedl, I think it may be what you're looking for.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/focal-length-sort

buckshot

Statistical summary
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »

Thanks for the help folks; I used the LR plugin which seemed to do the trick.

francois

Statistical summary
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 04:29:12 am »

Thanks for the link! I've been looking into that feature for a long time.
Francois

Tklimek

Statistical summary
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:31:24 pm »

Cool!  I'm not sure why you can't seem to do that in LR though.  Seems that the data exists in the EXIF file; so one would *think* not to hard to implement.....but I'm not a software developer....just a greedy consumer who always wants more and more!  LOL....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: francois
Thanks for the link! I've been looking into that feature for a long time.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Statistical summary
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:11:38 am »

Quote from: Tklimek
Cool!  I'm not sure why you can't seem to do that in LR though.  Seems that the data exists in the EXIF file; so one would *think* not to hard to implement.....but I'm not a software developer....just a greedy consumer who always wants more and more!  LOL....

Todd in Chicago

Use the Metadata Filter ( backslash key)

Set a filter panel to Lens and you'll get a list of all the lenses used as well as a number of image per lens.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Tklimek

Statistical summary
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:09:53 pm »

Thanks Nick....I'll double check, but what I'm referring to is not the lens I used......but the focal length (which usually is included in the EXIF if I'm not mistaken).

It's just a silly request, but one that I thought was interesting.

For example, if I currently have a 70-200 mm lens and don't have a prime in that same focal length and was interested in getting one, I could review my existing images and see (statistically) where do my images (in focal length) fall?  That could point me to where I *may* want to look for purchasing a prime.  I know, sounds a bit goofy but I think that information would be intersting to see.  More than just for purchasing a new lens, but where do my tendencies as a photographer fall?  Let the data speak!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Nick Rains
Use the Metadata Filter ( backslash key)

Set a filter panel to Lens and you'll get a list of all the lenses used as well as a number of image per lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up