Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9880 Platen Marks on Canvas  (Read 1592 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
9880 Platen Marks on Canvas
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:40 am »

I have had this problem really from day one with both of my 9880's, (2nd one was a replacement)
When I print Canvas,  it does not matter the brand or type (glossy or non-glossy), on the back of the
canvas, you will see definate strips of where the canvas has passed over the platen.  These are not
roller marks, as the rollers are not of an even size, instead it's from the gaps in the platen, I have even
measured the spacing and it's the same distance.  

I long ago switched to matte canvas for my 9880 and about 3 months ago started to reduce the suction
to see if this would help.  It seemed to but today I finished a large print that had a lot of pure black in
it for a back ground.  When I hung the print to dry, there were no visible marks showing through to the
front of the print.  But if you turned the print around, you could see faint furrows (as I call them).  

I coated the print this morning (Glamour II gloss) and by the application of the 2nd coat the marks were
now showing through on the front of the print.   Sometimes when the print is stretched, these marks go
away, however on this print, I am not sure they will totally go away after the stretch.  I am going to
try and reduce the suction even more, but am worried I will get head strikes.

Questions, to other users.

1.  Do you ever get these marks, they are on the back of the canvas, and perfectly fit the raised
portions of the platen.  From behind they look just like furrows in a plowed field.

2.  If you get these have you developed solutions for them?  

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up