Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: entry level LF.  (Read 2410 times)

Rasmus Degnbol

• http://www.rasmusdegnbol.com
entry level LF.
« on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:48 pm »

Hey All

I consider myself somewhat a novice compared to many of you in here. Having followed the recent architechture threads etc. has given loads and loads of tips, tricks and good inputs, thanks alot to you all, this is a bit of a spinoff of that thread.

Anyhow, im soon to venture into LF because im constantly missing movements in the studio and on location, and I want to have more control over my pictures. I want to develop my architechtural photography more. I own a H3D-39 and therefore have 2 options.

1) buy the HTS 1.5 and the 28mm. - Expensive.

2) Buy a LF camera + digiback adapter. - "Cheap".

My thoughts are more or less going for the LF camera. I've received a good price on a mint Cambo Master 2, with a 90, 150 and a 210 scheider APO symmar lenses for around 1000€ (1500$).

Would this be a good "development" camera to start out with until my skills and clients are there to take the next step (alpa or the likes), or are there any "better" alternatives or what are your thoughts?

How does the custom white balance actually work in workflow, I've read some people cursing it, and others having no problem with it at all.

I know that there arent any 100% right or wrong in this case, but your oppinions are much appriciated. )

Best regards
Rasmus
Rasmus Degnbol
www.rasmusdegnbol.com

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
entry level LF.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:41:25 pm »

Hi Rasmus-

You could buy the large format but with that setup you wont have a wide angle to work with.
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

Eastway

• http://www.petereastway.com
entry level LF.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »

When you use older lenses (which I assume is what you're getting), you have a lucky dip with the quality - the digital back you have will show up any deficiencies in the lens design. Some of my old 4x5 lenses simply aren't sharp enough on my P45+ back, will others are sharp until you use movements and suddenly you find the limits of the lens's quality.

You will also find the limitations of the camera's ground glass and how you position the back onto the camera - and focusing the lens is a big issue with a MF digital back.

Going with the 28mm and HTS, you lose the wide-angle to some extent, but still it's much wider than the LF lenses you're considering and the 28mm is a great lens in the middle. (It doesn't compare with the digital LF wides.)

Unfortunately, low price for high end digital usually means lesser quality.

Rasmus Degnbol

• http://www.rasmusdegnbol.com
entry level LF.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:30:26 am »

Thanks both.

Im thinking about adding a 47mm, to gain the wide angle needed, which still would put me down around 2000€/3000$ all together, which is less than the HTS alone.

One of my main concerns is image quality with the old LF lenses, but I cant really seem to get a clear answer.

Some say like you Eastway, that they wont perform good enough for digibacks, but some also say that the difference isnt big enough compared to the cost of newer digital LF lenses??  

That being said, as I stated this setup should be for entry level only, meaning that its mostly for my developing my skills and small clients which arent as demanding as the clients most of you are used to. Also I do alot of tabletop studio work (food etc.) where the movements will be a warm welcome compared to the post processing work im doing atm.
Rasmus Degnbol
www.rasmusdegnbol.com

DanielStone

entry level LF.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49:03 am »

if the camera has geared movements, that would be a definite plus.

if not, it can take longer to get the proper movements down to get things you want in focus/out of focus....

if you're in the market, you could get a sinar p2(fully geared movements), and lenses could be gotten for a small amount more.

its your call though. many have stated on here that a sinar p2(originally designed for film), doesn't meet muster to the needs of a digital-only shooter. because the movements aren't "fine" enough for the digital sensor, they state that it is somehow unusable.

cambo makes some terrific cameras, but if you really want to shoot product/food, and time is of the essence, then I'd recommend getting the Sinar. but, in the end, different strokes for different folks...

do you have a rental house near you that you could rent an hts from? beats buying one, to find out you hate it

I personally know a few people who shoot food/products with a Sinar P2, all but one are digital only now, all shot 4x5 film back in the days. one guy's P2 is older than me . just shows you how robust these cameras really are when treated nicely, and serviced regularly(every 3-5 years). the geared tracks go out on the older ones, because Sinar used plastic gear tracks in the original ones, but replaced the plastic ones with brass tracks I believe in the 90s, due to excessive wear.

see if you can find someone near you who has a p2, they're great cameras, and plenty of people are letting em go, damn cheap! renting lenses will be easier too, since most rental houses rent lenses on sinar lensboards vs cambo ones.

-Dan
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:50:24 am by DanielStone »
Pages: [1]   Go Up