Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase/Mamiya DF bodies out yet?  (Read 3500 times)

narikin

Phase/Mamiya DF bodies out yet?
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:15 am »

anyone got one for real yet (not just a sample for testing) - are they actually shipping?

CBarrett

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12551

No idea when mine's coming and whether I'm even going to keep it.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »

I just heard mine is on the way from the factory to my dealer, so with some luck I should get it next week...  Having shot with a Demo DF body in our S2 comparison, I can say with certainty I will be keeping it -- at least assuming it is in proper registration with my back
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:37:41 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

CBarrett

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:57 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
I just heard mine is on the way from the factory to my dealer, so with some luck I should get it next week...  Having shot with a Demo DF body in our S2 comparison, I can say with certainty I will be keeping it -- at least assuming it is in proper registration with my back

Just got word that mine has shipped.  Should be in Friday.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:18 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Just got word that mine has shipped.  Should be in Friday.

Congrats -- I think you'll notice faster and more accurate AF as well as less latency.  But the grip is smaller now which really pisses me off since I have big hands...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:44:29 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Congrats -- I think you'll notice faster and more accurate AF as well as less latency.  But the grip is ..........

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0912/09121102spaceyvid.asp

CBarrett

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:04:03 am »

Quote from: bcooter

WooHoo... FedEx just knocked on my door... hello DF.... later AF.

TMARK

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:56:33 am »

Did you check out the new PEN?  I just ordered it with the 17mm for $700 or so.  I can't believe that this little camera packs so much inovation into such a small package.  I'm going to give it a shot with editorial.  All for less than half the price of an Arca tripod head.

The PEN got me thinking about EVF's.  Note to the MFDB makers, um OK, Phase and Blad:  DUMP THE MIRROR.  EVFs are great.  The one on the Red One is fantastic.

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 01:46:32 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Did you check out the new PEN?  I just ordered it with the 17mm for $700 or so.  I can't believe that this little camera packs so much inovation into such a small package.  I'm going to give it a shot with editorial.  All for less than half the price of an Arca tripod head.

The PEN got me thinking about EVF's.  Note to the MFDB makers, um OK, Phase and Blad:  DUMP THE MIRROR.  EVFs are great.  The one on the Red One is fantastic.

If I get a schedule break, I'd like to compare it to that Panasonic G or whatever it's called.    I like the thought of these little cameras especially in a production where all the effort and budget is on the front end, (in front of the camera) rather than in camera, lights, grip and crew.

Maybe I'm just jealous of TR in the fact he can walk on set with a rangefinder and a bag a film for equipment. He probably get's his assistants from Craigs list and the interview goes something like this. TR- "Can you hold my camera?  Assistant-"Yes."  TR-"does full frontal nudity bother you?"  Assistant "no".    TR-"Your Hired."  

I'd love to see his estimates.  

Camera rentals, grip,  lights . . . $25

Film and Processing $3,484

Styling, makeup, talent, wardrobe, hair . . . $265,410.

Anyway back to reality, I read the reviews of these little cameras and they seem innovative, but then it always makes me wonder why Leica didn't take the money they spent on the S camera and make a real full frame autofocus M camera with Video.  That would be something that would get my attention, even though I know with the Red dot it's going to be 4 times the price.

BC

TMARK

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:08:47 pm »

T-Bone has a few steady assistants, and one person who is his first assistant/body guard/traveling companion/drinking buddy/manager.  He makes sure Terry isn't messed with.  He also loads the T4s on occasion.

I'll try the PEN alongside whatever else I shoot on an editorial.  I'm scheduled to shoot a director in New Orleans in January.  I'll give it a shot there, assuming I'm not in a food coma.

How about this:  a larger than 35mm snsor in a Mamiya 7 type RF body that takes Mamiya 7 lenses, has an EVF and a giant LCD, say a P65 sensor in it, a jpeg engine, selectable formats.  Video would be nice.  You know, some of what's offered by the PEN.  I'm sure this will never happen, but it would be nice.

EVFs are so good, so detailed.  The mantra is The Cup Doesn't Lie, the Cup being the eye cup on the RED.  Its detailed and large, acurate as can be.  

An AF super M system would have been great, but they would have charged $20k for it.  Since they were starting the S2 from scratch, why a mirror?  It would have been lighter and theoreticaly faster with an EVF.

Maybe the target demographic doesn't like the idea of an EVF?  Oh well, time to go buy a snow shovel.  

Does anyone like one brand model over the other?  Are any snow shovels closed systems, or should I look for one with interchangeable handels?

TIA

If I get a schedule break, I'd like to compare it to that Panasonic G or whatever it's called.    I like the thought of these little cameras especially in a production where all the effort and budget is on the front end, (in front of the camera) rather than in camera, lights, grip and crew.

Maybe I'm just jealous of TR in the fact he can walk on set with a rangefinder and a bag a film for equipment. He probably get's his assistants from Craigs list and the interview goes something like this. TR- "Can you hold my camera?  Assistant-"Yes."  TR-"does full frontal nudity bother you?"  Assistant "no".    TR-"Your Hired."  

I'd love to see his estimates.  

Camera rentals, grip,  lights . . . $25

Film and Processing $3,484

Styling, makeup, talent, wardrobe, hair . . . $265,410.

Anyway back to reality, I read the reviews of these little cameras and they seem innovative, but then it always makes me wonder why Leica didn't take the money they spent on the S camera and make a real full frame autofocus M camera with Video.  That would be something that would get my attention, even though I know with the Red dot it's going to be 4 times the price.

BC
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:34:41 pm by TMARK »
Pages: [1]   Go Up