Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impressive Z3100 moment.  (Read 3053 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Impressive Z3100 moment.
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:34:55 am »

I was printing a study on HP Premium ID glossy photo paper and my Z3100 was working away making it’s tinny yooooohhh-yooooohhh-yoooohhh noises. And then the printer paused briefly, then started, paused and started. I theorized that it was because one of the ink cartridges was running out. I knew this moment was coming. In the past I tossed the cartridge when it showed about 8% ink remaining. I did this because I got tired of the annoying reminders provided by the HP color center. But this time I wanted to let the ink run dry, and didn’t know how the printer would respond.

A moment later the printer stopped. I don’t remember if it beeped but when I looked, the front panel proclaimed that an ink cartridge had gone dry. It displayed a simple diagram to show me which cartridge needed to be pulled. It was the gloss enhancer. I pulled the old one and put a new one in it’s place.

Next came the part that was entirely cool.

After a few seconds of trundling, the printer picked up right where it left off and a minute later it finished the print I started before the ink change.

When I looked at the print, I could not tell where the old ink cart ran out and the new one started.

I thought that was impressive and a great feature for maintaining work flow. Don’t know if will be as seamless when a color ink cartridge runs dry....

KenLane

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:57 pm »

My small consumer epsons work this way with color and I've never had an issue with the print.  I'm at 1% or less on my 7900 for the LK cartridge and expect the same behavior if it empties during printing.

Ernst Dinkla

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »

Quote from: KenLane
My small consumer epsons work this way with color and I've never had an issue with the print.  I'm at 1% or less on my 7900 for the LK cartridge and expect the same behavior if it empties during printing.

I have worked with enough wide formats that had that feature but showed color differences when the print was finished. I had no high hopes when the feature was added to a Z3100 firmware upgrade. It worked perfect on the three occassions that I misjudged the content of a near empty cart. I wonder whether the fast drying of the Vivera inks is part of that success.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

namartinnz

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:33:26 am »

This was one of big hassles with the Z3100 when I got it. Back then with the old firmware I could right off a print if I ran out of ink. With the newer firmware, hassles gone. I did find if I left the printer too long when stopped to change ink I'd notice a small band where it looked like the GE hadn't been put down. A quick spray of Lyson printguard sorted it. Otherwise ink swaps are pain free and the 3100 keeps chugging after nearly three years of use.

Neal
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:34:04 am by namartinnz »

Roscolo

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »

Quote from: Justan
Next came the part that was entirely cool.

After a few seconds of trundling, the printer picked up right where it left off and a minute later it finished the print I started before the ink change.

When I looked at the print, I could not tell where the old ink cart ran out and the new one started.

That is awesome! I'm still working under an old firmware because I'm paranoid about having downtime if I do something wrong upgrading, but I thought I might upgrade the firmware over the holidays while business is slow and I'm glad the cartridge replacement / print saving fix has been addressed and works.

Thanks for the info. Now I know I can update my firmware!

deanwork

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:35:55 pm »

Yea, I was surprised too, but  the firmware update really works. Or at least it did for me twice. I had a large print and ran out of light magenta. Popped one in halfway through and there was no sign of the pause.

This is good because its not easy to know with 12 inks when one will run out completely. One thing I know for sure is that when the software says "ink low" that doesn't mean much. I've gone for a whole week with one saying that.  As a whole, we've been throwing away too much ink ( as in the Epson days) out of paranoia of running out in mid stream. Give them a hand. HP did something right here.

john

Quote from: Roscolo
That is awesome! I'm still working under an old firmware because I'm paranoid about having downtime if I do something wrong upgrading, but I thought I might upgrade the firmware over the holidays while business is slow and I'm glad the cartridge replacement / print saving fix has been addressed and works.

Thanks for the info. Now I know I can update my firmware!

Phil Indeblanc

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:47:27 am »

Quote from: deanwork
Give them a hand. HP did something right here.

john

I agree.  
Although I wish they would get on the ball making updates to profiles on their EFI Proofing software.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:40 am »

With most of the colors you have about 60 seconds to complete the change before you see the band.  I keep the appropriate cartridges handy as soon as they get to Very Low.  I learned that the hard way.

Xanthor

Impressive Z3100 moment.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »

This is a great feature but one time mine did not do this!  The ink well went dry and it kept on printing!  Normally it stops - tells me its empty.   I considered a fluke as the next cartridge that went dry sounded the alarm.   But when the print came out looking like it was missing something ... an empty ink cartridge was not at the top of the list... and I spent about an hour trying to fix things that worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up