Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturation versus luminance tool needed.  (Read 7012 times)

thierrylegros396

Saturation versus luminance tool needed.
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:57:29 am »

Interresting feature needed !

Up today I think the following tool doesn't exist, so for next version of Lightroom ?!

Like curve, the tool would give us the possibility to set the saturation versus luminance.

That would solve many problems.

Color cast in blown highlights or in dark areas and color speckles in dark areas when the "color noise reduction tool" is not enough for example.
But also we know the problem of photos with too much saturation in low light areas and highlights not enough saturated.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

stamper

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:50:38 am »

Quote from: thierrylegros396
Interresting feature needed !

Up today I think the following tool doesn't exist, so for next version of Lightroom ?!

Like curve, the tool would give us the possibility to set the saturation versus luminance.

That would solve many problems.

Color cast in blown highlights or in dark areas and color speckles in dark areas when the "color noise reduction tool" is not enough for example.
But also we know the problem of photos with too much saturation in low light areas and highlights not enough saturated.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

ACR has one, have you tried it?

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:50 am »

Quote from: stamper
ACR has one, have you tried it?

Global saturation versus luminance ?

With all the possibilities that a "curve" tool gives ?!

How is it implemented ?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:27 am »

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you go to the HSL panel in LR you have 8 colour groups and for each you can independently manage hue, saturation and lightness. What else did you have in mind?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:15 am »

I think the OP wants a saturation curve as we had in LinoColor a very long time ago. Then you can adjust saturation based on its location on the curve based on luminance. Its been a request by a number of regular alpha’s for both Photoshop and Lightroom for eons it seems.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:42 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
I think the OP wants a saturation curve as we had in LinoColor a very long time ago. Then you can adjust saturation based on its location on the curve based on luminance. Its been a request by a number of regular alpha’s for both Photoshop and Lightroom for eons it seems.

Has there been any feedback from the Adobe folks about the merits of this idea? If they haven't done it, seems to indicate that for whatever the reason they don't think it high priority.

jdemott

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

I'm not sure what the OP is asking for, but it may be something similar to what is offered in Nikon Capture NX2.  In NX2, one can fade (i.e., adjust opacity from 0 to 100%) either the luminance or the "chrominance" (or both) of any adjustment, using any blend mode.  For example, one can apply a curve adjustment to a selected area and then reduce the chrominance effect of the adjustment to 40 percent while leaving the luminance effect of the adjustment at full strength. I find it very useful.
John DeMott

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:29 am »

Quote from: jdemott
I'm not sure what the OP is asking for, but it may be something similar to what is offered in Nikon Capture NX2.  In NX2, one can fade (i.e., adjust opacity from 0 to 100%) either the luminance or the "chrominance" (or both) of any adjustment, using any blend mode.  For example, one can apply a curve adjustment to a selected area and then reduce the chrominance effect of the adjustment to 40 percent while leaving the luminance effect of the adjustment at full strength. I find it very useful.

OK, but what does this do that you can't do say in Lightroom by adjusting the various exposure controls and the tone curve and then tweaking the vibrance, or the saturation and luminance of particular colour groups in the HSL tab?

jdemott

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:13:12 pm »

OK, but what does this do that you can't do say in Lightroom by adjusting the various exposure controls and the tone curve and then tweaking the vibrance, or the saturation and luminance of particular colour groups in the HSL tab?
Quite a few things, actually.  If you adjust Vibrance on the main tab, or adjust saturation and luminance on the HSL tab, you are adjusting the entire image (in the case of the HSL tab of course the adjustments apply to particular color ranges).  The chrominance and luminance opacity sliders in NX2 will only affect those pixels that are the subject of the particular adjustment at issue.  So, for example, an adjustment to the tone curve might apply to a limited portion of the tone curve such as highlights, but the vibrance adjustment to correct for any unwanted color effects would affect all pixels throughout the tone curve.  Likewise, if an adjustment is applied locally through the use of a mask (adjustment brush in Lightroom) the chrominance and luminance effects in NX2 can be adjusted for only that local area, whereas in Lightroom, the HSL adjustments for example can't be applied locally.

More broadly, the benefit I see in the NX2 approach is that one applies only the desired amount of chrominance or luminence effect to any adjustment as it is made, without worrying about how to undo the effect in a separate step.  Of course, many are comfortable with using LR and I'm not arguing against it, just trying to respond to the OP, but I'm still not sure if the NX2 feature is the sort of thing the OP is talking about.
John DeMott

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:21 pm »

OK, I see what you're getting at, and it makes sense.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:33:05 am »

Quote from: digitaldog

This is exactly what I wanna have in a future version of Lightroom !

It would be a very powerfull tool.

Thierry

thierrylegros396

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 04:17:27 am »

Yesterday, I just discovered that Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 has a powerful tool which has that feature.

But differently implemented, you have a "Protection versus luminance feature" and you can choose the range of color.

So, Adobe it's time to propose us that tool !

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Pages: [1]   Go Up