Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P40+ Long exposures.  (Read 3153 times)

ucs308

P40+ Long exposures.
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:13:31 am »

I am on the path to getting a MF digital back that will work with the Horseman SWD II or the Cambo WDS or WRS. I am looking at the PhaseOne P40+ since this seems to be recommended for wide angle work.

The specs say exposure time is limited at 1 minute. Is this true even manually?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:32 am »

Quote from: ucs308
I am on the path to getting a MF digital back that will work with the Horseman SWD II or the Cambo WDS or WRS. I am looking at the PhaseOne P40+ since this seems to be recommended for wide angle work.

yes.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

michaelnotar

P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:20:29 am »

you will want to go with a P25+ or 45+ for movements and long exposures. these can go for longer but consider ISO 200 as a max clean ISO without any compromises. while the 40+/65+ are limited to 1 min they do much better ISOs, so that 1 min is equiv to a longer exp. so the gap closes. i have a reg P25 non plus and a WDS, the WDS is great i recommend it.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:34:28 am »

The back does not stop you from taking a longer exposure; the quality is simply very poor once you pass a certain amount of exposure time. The point being that it doesn't matter what mode/manner you use to trigger the capture the maximum exposure is limited by image quality concerns.

I'm testing the recently released Phase One P40+ firmware 4.8.2 right now as I type with Capture One 5.0.1. First glance results are that 50 seconds at ISO100 or 70 seconds at ISO50 (ambient temperature of 73 degrees F) are the longest exposures one can achieve with good results. After that quality drops quickly.

If you have the budget for a P40+ then I would look instead at a P45+ which will give you the best long exposures available in medium format (up to an hour at normal temperatures, many hours in very cold weather) at the same resolution (39 megapixels) with good compatibility with your tech cameras.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

DanielStone

P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:03:29 am »

doesn't the p40+ have the microlenses? if so, isn't that kind of a no-no for camera movements, even tilt, due to color casts?

but I'd 2nd what doug said about the p45+, bigger chip, bigger pixels, longer exposure times(if needed).

great backs, should work for years.

-Dan

michaelnotar

P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 03:12:05 am »

it does have ML but it can do movements, apparently the problem has been solved with software i think. i think i has less color cast than a P25/45...i think

Doug Peterson

P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:53:38 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
doesn't the p40+ have the microlenses? if so, isn't that kind of a no-no for camera movements, even tilt, due to color casts?

but I'd 2nd what doug said about the p45+, bigger chip, bigger pixels, longer exposure times(if needed).

The P40+ works extremely well on a tech/view camera. It has less color cast / fall off than a P45+.

Doug Peterson

Doug Peterson

P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:59 am »

Quote from: michaelnotar
you will want to go with a P25+ or 45+ for movements and long exposures. these can go for longer but consider ISO 200 as a max clean ISO without any compromises. while the 40+/65+ are limited to 1 min they do much better ISOs, so that 1 min is equiv to a longer exp. so the gap closes. i have a reg P25 non plus and a WDS, the WDS is great i recommend it.

Note that you generally cannot increase the ISO to get past the maximum good exposure time on a P40+. Anything above ISO100 is in-suitable for long exposures.

When I get a chance to review the files from tonight I'll give you a more detailed answer, but after an initial look at tonight's testing 50 seconds on ISO100 is the most I think one can get from the P40+ for long exposures using the latest firmware/software.

Doug Peterson

erick.boileau

• http://
P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 04:57:34 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
If you have the budget for a P40+ then I would look instead at a P45+ which will give you the best long exposures available in medium format (up to an hour at normal temperatures, many hours in very cold weather)

after  20 minutes the batteries are empty , but I agree the files are wonderful

RichA@FotoCare

• http://fotocare.com
P40+ Long exposures.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:54:39 am »

Take a look also at the Hasselblad system of backs also for the Horseman & Cambo.  I have heard Hasselblad & Beta Testers are testing new firmware/software for doing exposures over the current 64 seconds, with no additional calibration exposure.  A 5 minute exposure is just 5 minutes.
Best,
Rich Andres
Foto Care

Pages: [1]   Go Up