Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quick mac newbie question  (Read 2117 times)

theophilus

quick mac newbie question
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:59 pm »

So I just got a new 13" macbook pro, and I'm still learning my way around.  I downloaded PTGUI, went to my downloads folder, and then drug it into the applications.  It launches, is registered, and runs fine.  However every time I start the program I get a dialog box that "this program was downloaded from the internet, do you want to run it?"  

Did I install it wrong, or is there a way to turn off that warning?

thanks,

Tommy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:05:46 pm »

Did you eject the install disk?

John S C

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:19 am »

Have you moved the installer program to the Apps folder. I've done that myself on a few occasions without thinking and get the same message

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:22:46 am »

Usually when you download an application from the internet, what you get is an installer app. Rather than dragging that app to your folder, double click it and let the installer put the app where it needs to be (along with any other resources.)

Sometimes the download will open with two icons -- an icon for the app and an icon for your applications folder, with an arrow that says to drag the app into the folder. This is still an install process -- do the dragging inside that window for best results.

In your case I would delete the application, re-download the installer, and try double clicking whatever is in the downloaded disc image.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:58 am »

The PTGui download shows up as "PTGui install disk" in the finder window, and also opens up a new finder window showing the PTGui application icon.  You must copy or drag this application icon into the Applications folder.  (There is no separate installer program for PTGui.)  Then you should eject the "PTGui install disk", which is under the Devices heading in the Finder window. It has an eject button beside the icon...

After that, you may delete the PTGui_8.3.x.dmg file that was downloaded into your Download folder.

Double click the PTGui in the Applications folder to run the application.

Hope this helps...

T.

theophilus

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:10:24 pm »

thanks for the responses.  Initially I had dragged the disk image into the app folder.  Then I installed it correctly, took the image to the trash and then it still gave me the warning for a few times.  Eventually it went away.  I did a little more digging and it seems that it is supposed to only give you the warning the first time you run it but occasionally it will do it longer and sometimes you need a reboot.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Mac OS - and this is coming from someone who has been building their own Windows systems since '93.  I can really see myself making the full transition next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up