Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB Software comparison  (Read 3080 times)

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
MFDB Software comparison
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:26 pm »

Since so much of the MFDB purchase is about working with the software, I did a comparison of Leaf, Phase and Hasselblad (Phocus).  It's pretty interesting to see all three side-by-side, especially since I've seen the stuff from over ten years of evolution.  The more things change, the more they all begin to look alike.  

Take a look at the comparison, let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:12:52 pm by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:44 pm »

Quote from: teddillard
Since so much of the MFDB purchase is about working with the software, I did a comparison of Leaf, Phase and Hasselblad (Phocus).  It's pretty interesting to see all three side-by-side, especially since I've seen the stuff from over ten years of evolution.  The more things change, the more they all begin to look alike.  

Most detailed side-by-side comparison to date. Like anything you spend time with, the little tricks here and there really make the difference. I wonder if others would find value in hearing from superusers of all the applications for the tips that are golden?

BTW if anyone wants to get a copy of Phocus 2.0 and some sample files, please let me know OTB - to not have thousands of "me too" in the thread...OK , OK - maybe just hundreds

Great effort and analysis Ted,

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Nick_T

MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:52:48 pm »

Ted
Thank you for all your hard work.
A couple of comments for you (based a a pretty brief skim)
On the first page you have written "Flextight" instead of "Flexcolor", you've been spending too much time with those scanners!
The release of Phocus 2.0 has I'm afraid made a fair chunk of your review a bit redundant, as there are a significant number of changes.
In Phocus you can customize your tabs just like the Capture One quicktab (If I understand you correctly).
You do NOT have to have a serial number for a Hasselblad camera to be able to download the software (though this was the case some time back).
And yes it's Snow Leopard compatible though as you say it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Frank Doorhof

• http://
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:10:01 am »

Very nice compare.

What I LOVE about C1 5 is the new contrast mask for checking focus, that's an amazing tool and even would be a reason for me to upgrade to a back that is supported in C1 with tethered shooting.

For workflow I've grown to using Leaf Capture in the studio, I hated the way the focus check was working in C1 (which has been very much improved in the new 5 version + the added contrast mask checkmethod).

What I don't like is that both C1 (I could be wrong, if so please tell me how) and Leaf Capture are not able to use the DCP files created by the colorchecker passport.

tho_mas

MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:30:57 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
What I don't like is that both C1 (I could be wrong, if so please tell me how) and Leaf Capture are not able to use the DCP files created by the colorchecker passport.
somehow a strange point of view.
Can Color Sync or WCS read DCP files? Can you assign DCP files as a profile to images in Photoshop? ...
ICC is the standard and DCP is just a workaround since Adobe couldn't manage to incorporate full blown colormanagment in their RAW softwares.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:18:12 am »

Quote from: teddillard

Thanks Ted!

Just a correction - you don't need a serial number to download Phocus.  You simply need to register on Hasselblad.com and you can download away.  (It is also a full version, not a trial)

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/phocus-20.aspx

You can also download raw files.

David
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:19:30 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:07:39 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Thanks Ted!

Just a correction - you don't need a serial number to download Phocus.  You simply need to register on Hasselblad.com and you can download away.  (It is also a full version, not a trial)

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/phocus-20.aspx

You can also download raw files.

David

NICE!  Thanks for that correction, and I'm glad to see Hasselblad has changed that.

I have messed with 2.0 a bit, and was trying to figure some sort of update info addendum to the review.  Naturally, just as soon as we got done posting it, the new ver. came out.  (Sometime I'll tell you the story of my Smart Object Pipeline book and PS CS4- not to mention the release of Camera RAW 5.2, only a month or 2 later...     )
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:08:36 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 10:08:34 am »

Great review Ted and it is nice to see Capture One establishing itself as THE capture solution.

I have to disagree with you on the last statement about the change of trends to a non-tethered workflow, though...with Capture One offering tethered support for many cameras (including Leaf backs very soon) and the likes of Canon, Apple and even Adobe investing in this area, there are more people now then ever before who appreciate the benefits of shooting tethered, at least indoors.

Would be great to see a tethered test added to your review (if you need kit for it, let us know). In my biased opinion Leaf Capture would shine big time there and might possibly leap ahead of the competition in some aspects.

Regarding the installation "experience"; A restart is only required after the first install or after an OS update and relates to a super fast Firewire 800 driver that is employed.

As regards Windows support, there is LC 11.1 and a new beta of 11.2.9 available on the Leaf website

Happy holidays

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

bcooter

MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 12:19:45 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Great review Ted and it is nice to see Capture One establishing itself as THE capture solution.

Yair

[attachment=18701:disturbance.mov]

RichA@FotoCare

• http://fotocare.com
MFDB Software comparison
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:33:57 am »

Perfect - loved the reply!  What a great laugh & way to start my morning.

Yoda - "There is another Skywalker"  Lets Phocus on that.

Quote from: bcooter
[attachment=18701:disturbance.mov]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:34:47 am by RichA@FotoCare »
Pages: [1]   Go Up