Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas-end of roll distortion left by end cut  (Read 1608 times)

Rocco Penny

Canvas-end of roll distortion left by end cut
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:46:57 pm »

Maybe this is quibbling, but have any of you noticed the end of the roll of canvas having clear and remarkable lines, distortions really, left from where the end of the roll was wound against?
The last 7 feet on my 40 foot roll of canvas is thusly marked.
I'm a little reluctant to order more of the same if fully 25% of the roll could have these marks.
I actually think this is a Q.A. issue that has to be addressed.
If it isn't possible to sell a roll of canvas w/o the marks, there should be a warning to users that 40 feet of canvas really means 33 feet for all intents and purposes,
the last 7 feet would be great to proof on or something.
What is the next logical step?
Avoid the manufacturer?
Thank you.
Rocco
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:48:27 pm by Rocco Penny »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:38 pm »

If you avoid all the manufacturers who have that problem you will have to give up on using canvas.  It not just on canvas, I have seen similar problems at the ends of paper rolls as well, but not as noticeable as on canvas.

7 feet does seem a little long, I think it's more like 4 feet for most of the rolls I have used.  Heavier canvases have less of a problem.  It doesn't bother me very much because I glue down my canvases which removes the lines, but for those who stretch it's a big issue.  One technique is to reserve those ripply short ends for proofing.  I heard a suggestion that you can press the lines out with a large dry mount press, but that sounds like too much work.

ghaynes754

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:31 am »

So if you consistently lose 4 feet out of 40 then it should be marketed as a 36 foot roll.  If it told you that when you get your shirts back from my laundry that I cleaned all but the bottom 10% you wouldn't use my cry cleaning business anymore.

Reminds me of the early inkjet days when HP was sued.  Didn't disclose that you got 'starter' ink supplies.  Everyone was expecting an "INK" cartridge, just like they bought off of the shelf.

Maybe the paper folks, in the truth in selling department, say something like '44"x40 ft (36 usable)'

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:34 am »

That and some other things make me wish those canvas rolls were longer.  My Epson could probably take 60 foot rolls, which would save a lot of time in production situations.  How did we get stuck with those piddly little 40 and 39 foot rolls?

Neuffy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 03:45:48 am »

Oooh! 60 foot rolls would be nice. I'd definitely buy them with preference if the pricing was along the lines of 40;+50%. Technically, they should be slightly cheaper since they should be a little bit less labor to manufacture [per amount of canvas].
Pages: [1]   Go Up