Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is sleeping in car safe ... when on an extended photo trek??  (Read 24798 times)

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Is sleeping in car safe ... when on an extended photo trek??
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »

Jan, in a pinch, perhaps you could rent in one location and UPS the items back to the REI store. Would they accept that? REI tends to be pretty easy to work with, but I can understand the difficulty of maintaining rental inventory levels at each store based on local needs, as well as concerns about the condition of returned gear, etc.

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »

Quote from: bellimages
I'm planning a month-long solo trek through the west (Death Valley, Alabama Hills, Big Sur, areas north of San Francisco). While in the parks, I can sleep in my SUV in their campgrounds. And I have parked on the dirt roads of the Alabama Hills (near Lone Pine, CA). I see that people pull off Highway 1, near Big Sur and sleep. But I've always wondered whether it's safe. Anyone could park a mile down the road, walk to my vehicle, and break a window. Any thoughts on all this? MOTELS GET VERY EXPENSIVE.

I do this (and sleep in a tent) all the time in the eastern Sierra and Death Valley and elsewhere in and around the Sierra. I don't advertise the fact that I'm a photographer while I'm in campgrounds, and I keep a close eye on my equipment.

I would most certainly NOT "camp in my car in San Francisco itself, if you were thinking of that. I do see people pull off the highway along parts of the coast highway, but there I'd be more comfortable in a regular campground I think.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45:10 am »

I've slept in my car on various outings for well over 10 years and never had a problem.  Having said that, what you consider "safe" might be different from what I consider "safe".  Lock your doors, be aware of your surroundings, have an escape plan and make sure someone you trust (family, friend) knows where you are and where you will be sleeping.  If you park somewhere and you get the heeby jeebies - move.  Your gut feelings are generally fairly accurate and I'd rather find someplace to park where I can sleep more comfortably even if it means going to bed later in the night.

richard laughlin

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »

(Death Valley, Alabama Hills, Big Sur, areas north of San Francisco)..
I have car camped in DV, AH and the Big Sur coast. I would NOT trust the north coast above SF, even though the areas are populated by the kind and considerate, they are also traveled by those who take easy advantage of those same easy going people. Down around Big Sur it is easy and so far very safe to crash for the night.

Hope you enjoy the trip and get the shots. My worst events (dangerous, threatening interactions) have occurred at evenings in the Eureka CA area, and in early morning along the road in Montana. Not bad for many hundreds of times in the wild.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up