Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 roller marks?  (Read 9870 times)

BobDavid

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:01:35 am »

These marks/impressions appear whenever I print on certain rolls of media (most obvious on PK paper). The print in the photo is 24" X 31"  from  Hahn Photo Rag Baryta. Epson tech support hasn't been helpful. Anybody out there with an idea or two as to what is causing this?

photomike

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:23:39 pm »

I was just dealing with a marking issue as well.  I print a lot of 24" and when I switch to 44 inch I am getting marks at the 24 & 27" position on the 44" paper.  It seems to go away with a few print (getting expensive).  I think mine (possibly yours as well) could be caused by smudged ink.

P.S. I tried looking at the photo you had attached but could not see exactly the marks.

BobDavid

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:40:53 pm »

Here are better examples. One is on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bayrita and the other one is on Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:41:51 pm by BobDavid »

mikev1

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:36 am »

Quote from: BobDavid
Here are better examples. One is on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bayrita and the other one is on Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper.

I don't have any marks on the front of my prints but on the Luster I sometimes notice some similar looking marks on the back.  As they aren't heavy enough to show through I've never investigated further.  I'm not even sure if the marks were there to begin with.

Are these roller marks popping out of the print or going in?  I guess what I'm asking is does it look like the damage is being done from the front side or the back side of the paper.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:42:38 am »

Quote from: BobDavid
These marks/impressions appear whenever I print on certain rolls of media (most obvious on PK paper). The print in the photo is 24" X 31"  from  Hahn Photo Rag Baryta. Epson tech support hasn't been helpful. Anybody out there with an idea or two as to what is causing this?

Any chance these could be created by the re-enforcement slings of the paper reception bin?

Cheers,
Bernard

BobDavid

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:11:08 am »

Quote from: mikev1
I don't have any marks on the front of my prints but on the Luster I sometimes notice some similar looking marks on the back.  As they aren't heavy enough to show through I've never investigated further.  I'm not even sure if the marks were there to begin with.

Are these roller marks popping out of the print or going in?  I guess what I'm asking is does it look like the damage is being done from the front side or the back side of the paper.

The damage is being done on the front "emulsion" side.

Doombrain

Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »

I suggest you turn down the tension on the auto roll back system. It defaults to AUTO in the driver.
Try it on 'normal' and see if that's any better.

WarrenD

Re: Epson 9900 roller marks?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »

I realize that this thread is over two years old, but I am curious as to whether you have found a solution to your problem. I have the same problem and can find no resolution.

Epson technicians spent 8 days in my studio trying to solve the problem with no success. They then replaced my 9900 and the replacement printer has the same problem. It seems senseless to call Epson at this point.

I have adjusted the suction, the platen gap, have changed the tension on the auto roll back system, raised the humidity in the room from 28% to 40%, installed a voltage stabilizer, lowered and raised the amount of ink delivered to the paper, printed at different resolutions... and a number of other things that are not currently coming to mind.

This problem occurs on luster and semimatte paper, but not on matte.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Warren

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »

I realize that this thread is over two years old, but I am curious as to whether you have found a solution to your problem. I have the same problem and can find no resolution.

Do you store the roll paper loaded in place overnight? The problem prolly that the suction of the printer is causing these marks, even just overnight. Release the paper and roll it back up for storage...

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:01 am »

I always release the roll immediately after using it.

When the problem started, I was doing a series of 40" X 60" prints and the marks ran the full 60" on every print.

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:45:29 am »

I bought a big dry mount press on eBay. Heat and pressure eliminate this problem. It is another step. But it works.

WarrenD

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

BobDavid,

I appreciate your suggestion regarding the mounting press. It's just that I have prints of a similar size that were printed a few months back on the same paper (Epson Premium Luster), that show no evidence of these marks. I would like to understand what has changed.

Ultimately, these particular prints will be laminated and pressure mounted.  I had one of the prints laminated and the problem disappeared, so the question is moot regarding this particular job. However, most of my work is matted and hinge mounted.

I would be curious as to how many people have this problem. I have a friend who runs a printing operation with a 9900 and two 9890s and he has never seen striations on his prints.

Thank you,
Warren

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

I live in Florida which is a humid place. I wonder if relative humidity has something to do with the ridges.

rhodofoto

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:29 pm »

I am printing for Larry Fink in his studio in Martins creek..
For the studio, we recently bought the Pro 9890 printer. With the  problems with Museo we went through the
gamut of papers to try & find a replacement. Thanks to Jim Doyle at Shades of Paper, the replacement
is the wonderful Innova Warmtone..Looks just like Mueseo but a hint warmer!! Nice.

My problem is exactly that of a previous thread by Howard Grill,  where I have had tried many papers...
Hahn Baryta Photo Rag, Innova Gloss and with terrible scratching on the surface of the paper. I did everything from Widening the platen gap, to suction increase to creating a custom paper. I ran the gamut of paper choices. Nothing No results!! I have been asked to do the same thing as Howard, make prints on these papers including Exhibition Fiber by Epson and send out the samples.

I am worried that the third party papers are going to be disregarded.
With the clients we want to work with, the paper choice is theirs.
In particular a big name client who will not vary her paper choice because the gallery
uses it!! I will loose my clients and be unable to print for her in these circumstances.
I bought the printer so we could be MORE versatile, not less and am so frustrated...

I will be running the tests for Epson tomorrow_ More to come.

rhodofoto

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »

I have terrible issues with scratching on the 9890

BobDavid

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »

The 9900 has a wider gamut for fine art reproduction.

WarrenD

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »

I live in Florida which is a humid place. I wonder if relative humidity has something to do with the ridges.

My recent problems have occurred from 28% to 41% relative humidity.

jack777

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:57 am »

We have had the same problem on a variety of different papers... But in my opinion the problem lies in the production of roll papers. I base that opinion on that I haven't seen a ridge on a beginning of a roll or on a sheet. However the ridges are clearly visibile in same cases even 5 meters before the end of a paper roll.

This is a pretty serious problem and we haven't found a real workaround. Luckily after mounting or laminating the ridge is no longer visible. And that is what we do with most of our big prints and it's not that a big problem with small ones.

We tried contacting Canson about this issue and they apologized and promised to inform the French about this... however ridges we saw ridges on almost every roll paper we used so I think it must be connected with how roll papers are produced.

WarrenD

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:27 pm »

I have raised the humidity in my studio from about 28% to 41-42% and have maintained it at that for a few days. The problem has not gone away, but it is less noticeable. I am thinking that, in my case,  humidity may be a factor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up