Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Test your color skills  (Read 31120 times)

walter.sk

Test your color skills
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 05:21:39 pm »

Quote from: Justan
FACT: 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency.
Take the online color challenge, based on the official FM100 Hue Test by X-Rite.

Best possible score is 0 and the worst or highest is 1241

I got 16

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
I'm 69 and male.  A quick rearrangement of the color tiles gave me a score of 11.    I had 7 problems in the green-to-blue range, and 4 in the pink area.

I have a well-profiled NEC 3090.  I think I could have done better except that it got too tedious and I became bored.  I'll go back in a few days and try again, before I work on my pictures for the day.

I'm not sure what this test actually shows, and how valid or reliable it is.

Thanks for posting the link.  Just something more to obsess about, I guess.  At least it didn't cost me any money!

schrodingerscat

Test your color skills
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »

Interesting exercise. As I moved the tiles around, my perception of a given tile changed depending on it's location in the line. Had a bit of fun just playing with that.

And since we see with our brain, many other factors can influence the outcome at any given time as well and renders it somewhat subjective.

For the morbidly curious - Age 58 male, calibrated '06 iMac, score 7(trouble with blue/green). At this time.

Ray

Test your color skills
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 01:15:42 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Interesting exercise. As I moved the tiles around, my perception of a given tile changed depending on it's location in the line. Had a bit of fun just playing with that.

And since we see with our brain, many other factors can influence the outcome at any given time as well and renders it somewhat subjective.

For the morbidly curious - Age 58 male, calibrated '06 iMac, score 7(trouble with blue/green). At this time.

It's well known that the perception of a specific color will change depending on its proximity to an adjoining color. This effect is also very obvious with shades of black and white. A pale grey square next to a deeply black square may appear as white. But the same pale grey square next to an even paler grey square will appear grey, and the paler grey will then seem white.

Checking on the RGB values of the squares in the first row in this test, I find a few pairs of values that are probably too close to differentiate, no matter how well-calibrated your monitor or how good your eyesight, but I could be wrong   .

They are: (1) 164, 114, 92, and 164, 114, 88, (2) 163, 121, 81, and 163, 119, 82, (3) 162, 117, 84, and 163, 115, 86.

The 0-255 system of 8 bits per channel creates a maximum range of 16.7 million colors. There's no way any person could visually distinguish between all those different shades (outside of numerical description). Most images, even high resolution images processed in the ProPhoto color space in 16 bit mode (capable of several billion different shades), in practice contain only a few thousand, or fewer, perhaps only a few hundred, visually distinguishably different shades, so I believe, but you understand I haven't personally counted all the different shades that may exist in any one of my photographs.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:33:25 am by Ray »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Test your color skills
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 05:18:56 am »

I took a screen grab of my first test prior to scoring and went back to view it in Photoshop to check if I could see the difference on any tones I got wrong first time.
I could, so it just needed some patience to work through it and get a perfect score second time around.
It would be interesting to get a secondary score based on how long it took to complete the test or how many you could arrange correctly in a given time.

Score 6 at first attempt, 0 on second.
53 male.
NEC Spectraview 1980

lmwacctg

Test your color skills
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:52 pm »

Just tried it with my Dell 2408wfp regularly profiled with a ColorMunki, luminance level 120, whitepoint D50.

Score: 0

Found it quite difficult in certain areas, but obviously guessed right. IE is not colour managed, so I'm not sure what the result means.

hsmeets

Test your color skills
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 11:59:36 am »

Score 0, age 46, male

At first try. However the way you can shove around the tiles makes this test somewhat easier as you can compare to siblings, so more a less a relative test then an absolute test of color vision, as in absolute hearing, no worries, in a few minutes i'm of to a new years eve party with friends :-)

[attachment=19052:Schermaf...17.55.02.png]

(iMac 27", calibrated)

Happy new year everybody!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:06:40 pm by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Paul Sumi

Test your color skills
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 12:33:41 pm »

A 32, on my uncalibrated monitor at work.  Some difficulty in the blue-ish green region.  male, 54 yo.

Paul

natas

Test your color skills
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 04:59:15 pm »

lol, I got a 121....and yes I am color blind (2 different kinds)

It was very hard for me to do some of the colors, In fact 2 of the rows looks almost identical other than the darkness of the colors...so I arranged by how dark some of them were.

Luckily I have a wife who proofs all my print work before going to a client, she also helps me get WB right when I forget my gray card.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:02:54 pm by natas »

natas

Test your color skills
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 05:12:13 pm »

Quote from: natas
lol, I got a 121....and yes I am color blind (2 different kinds)

It was very hard for me to do some of the colors, In fact 2 of the rows looks almost identical other than the darkness of the colors...so I arranged by how dark some of them were.

Luckily I have a wife who proofs all my print work before going to a client, she also helps me get WB right when I forget my gray card.

I just did the test again and I am still in the 100's  Man I wish they would come out with a color blind treatment

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
Test your color skills
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »

couldn't resist. I'm 57, male, got a score of zero. dang.

David Saffir
http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com

David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Test your color skills
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 09:25:09 am »

Quote from: stamper
I think this shows the futility of the test.

No, I think it shows its sensitivity. Small errors are easily caused by partial colorblindness, and many people are partially colorblind. From other tests I know my color vision is good, and this test gave me a zero score.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Test your color skills
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:05 am »

Quote from: natas
I just did the test again and I am still in the 100's  Man I wish they would come out with a color blind treatment

I'm so disappointed! Your 121 beat the heck out of my 108. But I only have one kind of color blindness to my knowledge.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Test your color skills
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2010, 03:01:46 am »

Surely, color-response/color-blindness is an important component here – as is monitor condition and status, i.e. calibrated or not, new or old, high quality or old, etc. But there is also another element that is missed in these discussions (this fun test is making the rounds): technique plays a roll as well. Many people do not know that there is something referred to (in some circles) as the "master eye effect". This is a bit different than the "dominate eye" in which we have one eye which dominates over the other with regard to perspective. It's used 100% of the time in diamond grading to determine the color grade of diamonds as they are compared to "masters" of known color grades.

Without getting into to the details of color grading diamonds (for fear of boring folks), one may see an improvement in the test results here if they are deliberate in the way in which they analyze troublesome patches. When you are confronted with squares which are difficult to separate, be sure to view them on opposites sides of each other. That is, if the tiles are "A" and "B", view them as AB and BA and back again – sometimes several times if needed. This is how diamond grading is done (with additional rules applied for when AB shows no difference, or BA shows no difference, but the converse does show a difference, etc. [colorimeters aren't great for diamonds because transparency enters in and it gets messy, etc.] )

Marco Ugolini

• http://
Test your color skills
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2010, 04:41:35 pm »

Quote from: Justan
FACT: 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency.
Take the online color challenge, based on the official FM100 Hue Test by X-Rite.

Best possible score is 0 and the worst or highest is 1241

I got 16

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
My advice, if you work with color on a regular basis, is that you schedule a battery of color vision tests (Farnsworth-Munsell 100-Hue Test, Ishihara, etc.) at a local university's optometry department.

I do that based on the rule that knowing whether your color vision is accurate or not is always better than not knowing. At least, if you detect a problem, you will know when to be careful, thus avoiding embarrassment, and will preserve a certain level of professionalism by not being too cocky.

I go to UC Berkeley every four or five years. Last time it cost me $175.
Marco Ugolini

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Test your color skills
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »

64 yo male.

Got a 4 last night.  Drove around a couple hours today in bright sunlight with sunglasses, got a 28 shortly thereafter.

No matter.  It's not how big your gamut is, it's how you use it.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Test your color skills
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2010, 04:13:46 am »

I got a zero too, and I had fun doing it! Thanks for posting the link!
Rolleiflex USA

Ken R

Test your color skills
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2010, 04:55:47 am »

Hi, just did the test a bunch of times.

Lowest score was 101, highest 131. Did the test on 3 different computers with different monitors. Blue/green is a problem for me.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:56:04 am by sneakyracer »

AlanShaw

Test your color skills
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »

Hmmm, scored 4, on a calibrated iMac. I could even see where the problem was, but couldn't get the tiles into a pattern that looked right.

PdF

Re: Test your color skills
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 04:33:04 pm »

I got 9 on a MacBook Pro (not calibrated).

PdF
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:34:43 pm by PdF »
PdF

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
Re: Test your color skills
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 08:28:59 am »

didn't try, been colourblind since birth, so no use re-inventing the wheel.   :)

However, one thing these tests all miss, not just this one, is your skill at determining contrast.     I have gone for a few studies & extensive testing on my lack fo colour vision, and what has been found out is that over the past 17-18 years, my colour vision has "improved" by 18%.

These stats are form studies I have participated in at a local university that has my records/tests on file and can do comparisons.

What they think is really happening however is my ability to detect contrast has remarkably improved, likely due to necessity more than anything else.   You know that old wives tales about a blind man having superior hearing, but in reality all it boils down to is that person needs their hearing more than somebody with sight, so they work at paying attention to what they are listening too.

My whole point is this - regardless of what your test scores are, you can, each one of you, but working at it, imcrease your ability to detect contrast.  Think the zone system if you will.  And if you have good skill at detecting contrast in a scene or a photo, that will in the long run translate into better photographs.

So don't give up, just work harder at it.
:)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up