Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self Dimming MBP  (Read 2265 times)

CBarrett

Self Dimming MBP
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:50:15 pm »

Does your MacBook Pro change it's screen brightness whenever it feels like it?

Mine does.  My "Energy Saver" settings seem to have no effect.  It still drops it's brightness as soon as I unplug it, throwing my calibration out the window.

I'm about to throw this laptop out the window... and then go get my nailgun from the garage and pin it to the pavers.

Stupid computers.

Stupid technology.

What the FRACK?!!!

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »

Just go into Display settings in the Preferences and un-tick the box that says "Automatically adjust brightness...."

DanielStone

Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »

hear you on that one chris,

stupid computers!!!!

we should all go back to 4x5 transparencies, with desktop computers for editing those drum scans!

-Dan

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:29:45 pm »

Under energy saver - click over to the battery settings, then the options tab - there should be a check box for "slightly dim the display when using this power source" uncheck that.

That, combined with Derryck's solution for the auto dim in changing light, solved the problem with my MBPro 15 on 10.5.7
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:30:30 pm by LiamStrain »

JoeKitchen

Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:34:12 pm »

Quote from: LiamStrain
Under energy saver - click over to the battery settings, then the options tab - there should be a check box for "slightly dim the display when using this power source" uncheck that.

That, combined with Derryck's solution for the auto dim in changing light, solved the problem with my MBPro 15 on 10.5.7
Awesome, awesome, I have been quite annoyed by that as well and thank you for showing me how to fix it.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 02:39:51 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
Does your MacBook Pro change it's screen brightness whenever it feels like it?

Mine does.  My "Energy Saver" settings seem to have no effect.  It still drops it's brightness as soon as I unplug it, throwing my calibration out the window.

I'm about to throw this laptop out the window... and then go get my nailgun from the garage and pin it to the pavers.

Stupid computers.

Stupid technology.

What the FRACK?!!!

Mine will dim if on battery and no activity.  Other than that no problems.  I have seen one other person complain of this.  If it isn't your energy saver settings as mentioned by others, then perhaps it is still under warranty or applecare ... because it isn't normal.

In the meantime, I have a couple of applescripts which are pretty handy.  You can find them on this thread ...http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38983

Basically you use the first one right after you make your profile.  It will read the % of the brightness slider in the display preference pane.  You then modify the other applescript and plug that number in.  Whenever you run the second one, it will make sure the display is exactly the same value.  I have a couple versions of this second one, after setting the brightness, one launches PS, the other LR.  Whenever I start one of these programs, my brightness is automatically reset.  (I typically turn it up a little to browse the internet and other activities).

CBarrett

Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:43:12 am »

I'm familiar with the "Energy Saver" panel.  I think what's been happening is this...

Whenever I crash, I zap the PRAM while restarting.  I don't even know if this helps OS X....old habits.  Doing this causes the Energy Saver Prefs to reset and sometimes even resets my monitor profiles to the default.

I'll give up on the <Option><Command><P><R> for a while and see if that helps.

-CB

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:28 am »

Ah - that would do it. Didn't know if there was just a button you missed.

For the most part I only zap the pram if I have a kernel panic crash (which is pretty rare on my rig). A regular crash, I haven't bothered.

Cfranson

Self Dimming MBP
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:31:35 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
Whenever I crash, I zap the PRAM while restarting.  I don't even know if this helps OS X....old habits.  Doing this causes the Energy Saver Prefs to reset and sometimes even resets my monitor profiles to the default.
Yeah, that is definitely unnecessary. Still, the Energy Saver preferences are saved to a file that shouldn't be getting cleared when you do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up