Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for 42" LCD to connect to Mac Pro for my Workshops  (Read 2345 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Looking for 42" LCD to connect to Mac Pro for my Workshops
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:23:42 am »

We are finally getting the print studio up and running and one of the last things to do is to find a 42" LCD for the student learning area. It will be attached to the Mac Pro and I would like to use it like a projector. If I am demonstrating Lightroom I will mirror my screen to the wall unit. The only large screen I found so far that was designed and built for photo display is the new unit from JVC. The JVC LT 42 w X 70. Some pretty good specifications  but runs about $2400 + folding rear bracket and installation total is pushing 3K. I wonder if I would really need this as the options for 42" LCD's start at around $800. I am interested in color output but it is really hard if not impossible to try before buying. Can the larger Lcd television/monitors be calibrated with the same tolerance as desktop units used with our computers?  I will be running videos and slide shows of images, just not sure if the cost is in line with the benefits from the high end JVC. Has anyone here tried the same hookup and if so what equipment are you using?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:32:11 am by Dan Berg »

DonCone

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:49 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
We are finally getting the print studio up and running and one of the last things to do is to find a 42" LCD for the student learning area. It will be attached to the Mac Pro and I would like to use it like a projector. If I am demonstrating Lightroom I will mirror my screen to the wall unit. The only large screen I found so far that was designed and built for photo display is the new unit from JVC. The JVC LT 42 w X 70. Some pretty good specifications  but runs about $2400 + folding rear bracket and installation total is pushing 3K. I wonder if I would really need this as the options for 42" LCD's start at around $800. I am interested in color output but it is really hard if not impossible to try before buying. Can the larger Lcd television/monitors be calibrated with the same tolerance as desktop units used with our computers?  I will be running videos and slide shows of images, just not sure if the cost is in line with the benefits from the high end JVC. Has anyone here tried the same hookup and if so what equipment are you using?

Dan, FWIW, I would suggest the latest 52" Sharp. If you have the wherewithal to calibrate it, it would serve you well. And, it is a lot cheaper than the competition. I have a Mac Mini connected to mine and it is very impressive when calibrated.

Don

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:01:21 pm »

Can the larger Lcd television/monitors be calibrated with the same tolerance as desktop units used with our computers?

I don't know about tolerance, but I have a 42" Vizio that must be sub-$900 now, and it calibrates using its menu-based RGB sliders with Spyder3 Elite just like my desktop monitor.  How it actually looks would be a different question of course.

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:02:46 am »

I'm using a Sony 42" LCD. Calibration was a problem until I found the "theatre" mode (less saturated colors and less contrast). When in this mode, calibration was no problem and I get decent results although it doesn't compare with high end wide gamut displays.
Francois

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:00 am »

Thanks for the replys. It sounds like any decent lcd will do. The JVC is just a little overpriced and I think I will skip that choice. My concerns now are that everything will display through the Mac to the larger LCD. Lightroom demos,videos,Capture Control Pro and slideshows.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:21:39 am by Dan Berg »

DonCone

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:22:20 am »

Thanks for the replys. It sounds like any decent lcd will do. The JVC is just a little overpriced and I think I will skip that choice. My concerns now are that everything will display through the Mac to the larger LCD. Lightroom demos,videos,Capture Control Pro and slideshows.

Dan, if you get one of the new LED illuminated TVs you should be able to get a good wide gamut and as I said before, when calibrated they will do an excellent job. Things like dynamic contrast are not of value for a computer display and they tend to jack up the cost of the monitor. That is what I like about the Sharp 77 series - it's pretty simple but has the latest technology in the panel and produces an outstanding image IF calibrated.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up