Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spyder elite3 question  (Read 1681 times)

runee

Spyder elite3 question
« on: December 14, 2009, 04:07:15 am »

Hi,

When I run my Spyder3 calibration, I have the option of choosing whether to calibrate an LCD monitor or a CRT monitor. Obviously, I normally choose LCD for my LCD monitors. However, I am about to calibrate one of the new iMac monitors with the glossy surface and that got me to thinking: Why the choice between the two different technologies in the calibration software? Is the color reproduction really that different or is it because the software takes account for stuff like added glare in the glass surface on the CRT... and if that is the case, would it make more sense to calibrate the iMac glossy screen as a CRT? Or should I stick to what the technology is, and calibrate it as an LCD?
Any insights would be appriciated

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Spyder elite3 question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

Quote from: runee
Hi,

When I run my Spyder3 calibration, I have the option of choosing whether to calibrate an LCD monitor or a CRT monitor. Obviously, I normally choose LCD for my LCD monitors. However, I am about to calibrate one of the new iMac monitors with the glossy surface and that got me to thinking: Why the choice between the two different technologies in the calibration software? Is the color reproduction really that different or is it because the software takes account for stuff like added glare in the glass surface on the CRT... and if that is the case, would it make more sense to calibrate the iMac glossy screen as a CRT? Or should I stick to what the technology is, and calibrate it as an LCD?
Any insights would be appriciated

CRT monitors use 3 color guns focused on a cathode ray tube screen to produce color and can are calibrated independent of the video card.
LCD monitors such as in the new iMAC are backlit by white LEDs and only have physical control of the brightness or backlight. All color adjustment are done via the video card.

So there is a huge difference and your only choice for the iMAC is to use the LCD adjustment mode.

Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up