Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Figure Study  (Read 3492 times)

alangubbay

Figure Study
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:34:04 am »

Any comments please?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Figure Study
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:21 am »

Overall I'd say it's well done, but... just can't put my finger on it.  Have you seen Michael Ezra's work?  Not that you have to copy his style, but it might give you some ideas...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Figure Study
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:47:22 am »

Great looking photo of a great looking gal.  Excellent control of highlight and shadow details.  Superb tonal subtlety, and especially in the difficult medium to dark shadow transitions.  B&W done right, congrats!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:47:49 am by bill t. »

Rob C

Figure Study
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:04 am »

Never mind anybody else's work; stick with what you are doing.

If any criticism is to be made, it would just be that I prefer totally unmarked and simply toned backgrounds to the folds etc. that some surfaces create. But that comes down to what's available at the time as well as what you might prefer in an ideal world. Hey, the girl is more than enough and if she's coming to Spain on holiday, send her my address; sure would lke to use that D700 on something other than just my 'paintings' these days!

Rob C

alangubbay

Figure Study
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:06:45 pm »

[quote name='wolfnowl' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:45 AM' post='332855']
Overall I'd say it's well done, but... just can't put my finger on it.  Have you seen Michael Ezra's work?  Not that you have to copy his style, but it might give you some ideas...

Wolfnowl, Thank you for the tip.  I had not previously heard of Michael Ezra and his work is certainly interesting.  Many thanks also to Bill T and Rob C for their kind comments.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:10:55 pm by alangubbay »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Figure Study
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:28:02 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I prefer totally unmarked and simply toned backgrounds to the folds etc. that some surfaces create. But that comes down to what's available at the time as well as what you might prefer in an ideal world.
Come on Rob, you more than most should know that Irving Penn made it forever acceptable to bend, fold, spindle, mutilate, stain, tear, and generally crease the background to one's heart's content.  It's artistic.

Rob C

Figure Study
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:59:05 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Come on Rob, you more than most should know that Irving Penn made it forever acceptable to bend, fold, spindle, mutilate, stain, tear, and generally crease the background to one's heart's content.  It's artistic.

I am delighted to see that your adobe humour hasn't left you, whitewashed or not!;-)

Rob C

Ed Blagden

Figure Study
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:06:42 pm »

Weird pose - kind of like she has just remembered something important.

John R

Figure Study
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:23 pm »

The lighting is excellent and the pose is tasteful and pleasing to the eye. Something about photographers and artists that compels them to depict the human form in unnatural ways so that the end result looks pleasing to the eye. Very nice all the same.

JMR

blansky

Figure Study
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »

I think I saw her silhouette on the mudflaps of a truck I was following for 20 miles. She seems almost like I know her now.

JUST KIDDING. I like it.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up