Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back test  (Read 7461 times)

AlexM

• Alex Maxim fashion and glamour photographer in Toronto
Digital back test
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 10:54:42 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
¿... so, even before Auto Phocus Lock (APL), Phocus 2 and the H4D-60, Hasselblad was way ahead of what competition there was?

IMO yes

Phil Indeblanc

Digital back test
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:11 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
Somebody turn the lights out when you leave.

The lights are already out when you are looking through a barrel.
I'm not sure what you shoot, or if you are a daily shooter with a workflow, but I assure you that the hobbyist landscape shooter is not the only person using DB.  The lights are not going out for maybe another decade at least. The DB is very relevent in many pro applications....And if they get some competitive pricing, I would think for a lvery long time. Unless Canon expands out of 35mm (Why not?).  I have heard / read that the larger chips are just extensions, or fused larger parts of the smaller chips. meaning not made with far superior tech than FF chips.  Anyway.  The fact is that the DB is a important tool. Price will be the factor of where it is going. Are they worth $30K, no. not for anything I do.  Perhaps in the next few years they can drop prices to top out at $10-15K.  With the Mark3 being such a beast at $8k, I can see the DB market compete at higher prices. But with the 5Dm2, this looks like a interesting situation for everyone (as you mention). The price points will likely change drastically. DBs will not be obsolete. ever(that means at least 10 years) :-)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Dick Roadnight

Digital back test
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 03:42:33 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
The lights are already out when you are looking through a barrel.
DBs will not be obsolete. ever(that means at least 10 years) :-)
It depends what you are talking about...

Hi-res sensors >24 Mpx
large > 24 * 36mm sensors
detachable sensors (DBs)

Because of minor inconveniences like the wavelength of light, you cannot get much benefit out of much more than 24 Mpx from a 24 * 36mm sensor, so Canikon will have to invent bigger cameras to join the game.

High-res cameras do not have to have detachable backs, particularly if each back is calibrated to a single body as with Hasselblad - I have a DB cos I have a MFDVC (Digital Medium Format View Camera).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Phil Indeblanc

Digital back test
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
It depends what you are talking about...

Hi-res sensors >24 Mpx
large > 24 * 36mm sensors
detachable sensors (DBs)

Because of minor inconveniences like the wavelength of light, you cannot get much benefit out of much more than 24 Mpx from a 24 * 36mm sensor, so Canikon will have to invent bigger cameras to join the game.

High-res cameras do not have to have detachable backs, particularly if each back is calibrated to a single body as with Hasselblad - I have a DB cos I have a MFDVC (Digital Medium Format View Camera).

Yes, as I wouldnt even consider Hassy to be in the game as the locked themselves out.  Not sure what they are thinking...unless they had something exclusive and worthwhile..... yet to see anything so far.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up