Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3  (Read 8956 times)

chariw2003

LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »

I was wondering if anyone else uses the Playstation 3 to view their LLVJs. I have been using one for my HD video and regular and Blu-Ray DVDs for some time, with very good image quality when projected. The LLVJ-18 download files, especially the Antarctica section, were excellent in general.

However, I can't play the LLVJ-19 download files. I have unzipped them, and copied them to the same thumb drive that has my LLVJ-18 files, and the Playstation says "corrupt file" immediately on displaying the directory. In a panic I downloaded the latest firmware (3.10 I believe) and installed it, with no change in this (although the startup screen now has sparkles in addition to the swirlies that were there before). The LLVJ 18 files play just fine.

So, I was wondering if anyone else was able to play LLVJ-19 on their Playstation 3.

Chris.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:39 am »

Quote from: chariw2003
I was wondering if anyone else uses the Playstation 3 to view their LLVJs. I have been using one for my HD video and regular and Blu-Ray DVDs for some time, with very good image quality when projected. The LLVJ-18 download files, especially the Antarctica section, were excellent in general.

However, I can't play the LLVJ-19 download files. I have unzipped them, and copied them to the same thumb drive that has my LLVJ-18 files, and the Playstation says "corrupt file" immediately on displaying the directory. In a panic I downloaded the latest firmware (3.10 I believe) and installed it, with no change in this (although the startup screen now has sparkles in addition to the swirlies that were there before). The LLVJ 18 files play just fine.

So, I was wondering if anyone else was able to play LLVJ-19 on their Playstation 3.

Chris.

Same problem playing LLVJ 19 from Apple TV.

I am not sure why this is occuring as the files are encoded in Mpeg4 which should be playable on an Apple TV (not sure about playstation 3). I ended up re-encoding all of the files with iSquint in .MP4 maximum quality and they now work perfectly on the Apple TV and the picture quality is excellent. You could try the same thing for Playstation.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 09:40:00 am »

This is odd since the encoding method and file handling of LLVJ-18 and -19 were identical. But something obviously has changed. My suspicion falls on an 'updated' QuickTime X component.

The files are I believe too big for the Apple TV.

If the PS will import .MOV files, try simply renaming the file extension to .MOV instead of the .MP4 before going through the trouble of re-encoding. For that matter try any of the PS acceptable file extensions. The file extension simply invokes a media player; the basic codec inside that file wrapper is (as always in the past two years) H264.

Let us know how you fare.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:41:03 am by ChrisSand »

Rob Stone

• Stone Photography
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:32:14 am »

Quote from: ChrisSand
This is odd since the encoding method and file handling of LLVJ-18 and -19 were identical. But something obviously has changed. My suspicion falls on an 'updated' QuickTime X component.

The files are I believe too big for the Apple TV.

If the PS will import .MOV files, try simply renaming the file extension to .MOV instead of the .MP4 before going through the trouble of re-encoding. For that matter try any of the PS acceptable file extensions. The file extension simply invokes a media player; the basic codec inside that file wrapper is (as always in the past two years) H264.

Let us know how you fare.

Chris,

Just tried your suggestion for Apple TV, just out of curiosity and frustration, as I too cannot play LLVJ-19 on Apple TV.  If you learn of a fix, let us know.

Thanks,

Rob

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:24 am »

All you have to do is open the files in itunes and use it to convert to AppleTV Version.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:45:54 am »

With LLVJ-18 and LR tutorials I used PS3 Media Server to stream the high-def MP4 videos from my PC to the PS3, no re-encoding needed. Should work fine with Tversity and probably with Windows media server as well. Waiting for confirmation about LLVJ-19 working without re-encoding before buying it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:46:13 am by feppe »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:12 am »

The Standard Definition version of LLVJ-19 imports directly into iTunes and plays out fine on Apple TV

The HD version at 1280 x 720 is too big for Apple TV - it needs to be  downsized to Apple TV's 960 x 540.

It's about time Apple supported true HD!

Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:53:40 am by ChrisSand »

kaelaria

LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:01:38 pm »

You have your info a little wrong.  ATV has supported 720p for quite some time, I have hundreds of blurays converted to it that play just fine, along with your new HD #19.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:16:04 pm by kaelaria »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »

Quote from: kaelaria
You have your info a little wrong.  ATV has supported 720p for quite some time, I have hundreds of blurays converted to it that play just fine, along with your new HD #19.
Hmm - maybe its my Apple TV that is out-dated!

kaelaria

LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »

It would have to be outdated for over 2 years.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:35 pm »

Ahh I see what the hitch is: 30 fps - Apple TV will take 720P HD only at 24 fps

From Apple's website:

Apple TV Tech Specs - H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Likely the next VJ will be at 24 fps.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:41:08 pm by ChrisSand »

Marlyn

LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 12:51:01 am »

SD version won't play on my Playstation either.   Streamed by a Twonky media server over DNLP.

Mildy annoying.   Will look at doing a transcode when I buy the HD version.

Regards

Mark

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 01:13:08 pm »

...I was wondering if anyone else was able to play LLVJ-19 on their Playstation 3...
Anyone!?

I tried renaming .mp4 to .mpg., .avi, .mov... nothing works... the message on PS3 is still the same: "corrupted file"

What is confusing is that .mp4 files from previous LLVJs (e.g. #18 and #17) still play well. A reasonable working hypothesis would be that something must have changed at the source (i.e. LL).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:12:18 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

knweiss

LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »

FWIW, I tried to stream the HD version from my MediaLink DLNA server on the Mac Pro in the office to the PS3 in the living room but it didn't work. So I watched it on the computer instead of the HDTV (I didn't want to lose time with transcoding). I would appreciate if the next LLVJ would play on the PS3 out-of-the-box.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
LLVJ-19 on Playstation 3
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »

UPDATE: Turns out the MediaLink needed an update, to version 2.0b6. The new version also has a new choice in the Preferences menu: transcoding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up