Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa max + TC - lens recommendations?  (Read 16477 times)

narikin

Alpa max + TC - lens recommendations?
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:59:06 pm »

recently acquired a Max + TC bodies, and wondering what lenses people would recommend in the normal or moderate wide lengths.

I'll be using the Max to stitch 2 P65+ images together, maybe on rare occasions 4, but mostly 2.
so need an image circle of around 95 - 100mm, for what will be a 76x54mm area, something between 70-100mm, perhaps.
for walk around with the TC, no stitching of course, a 60-80mm is ideal for my uses.

Schneider or Rodenstock?

was looking at:

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70  f5.6
Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 90  f5.6
Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 105 f5.6

and

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/72 mm
Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.5/90 mm
Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/100 mm N

but am open to other possibilities/ suggestions, but I do not need or use super-wides.

I like the sound of the Rodenstock Digaron S range for the TC, but they seem to barely cover the P65+ larger sensor I use.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:34:11 am »

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 90 f5.6, very sharp and nice lens. Would be my choice.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

archivue

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:24:01 am »

Quote from: Christopher
Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 90 f5.6, very sharp and nice lens. Would be my choice.

me too, i have one and loved it !

my next purchase will be a 72 or 70, i still hesitate between this two, but in 90 the Digaron W is the way to go.

CBarrett

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:40:18 am »

I have the HR 70 and 90.... those are great friggin glass!

narikin

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:14:10 am »

thanks.

strange everyone is choosing/ recommending Rodenstock over Schneider. any reason in particular?

when you look at the Digaron-S series charts they are off-the-scale sharp, BUT they only cover the sensor precisely, on a P65+ there is barely 2mm spare!

seems you have to 'compromise' (!) to the Digaron-W range if you want to shift or stitch.

cunim

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:17:25 am »

In exactly the same situation, except that I am still waiting for my H4D/60.  Oh well, I will start with the H3D/50 next week and wonder how long it will take to sort out the new Blad, and the 50 back on the technical cameras.  Easy would be nice but faint hope.

Have the HR W 40 and 90 initially.  From all I can see these are great lenses on paper and in the hands of others on this board.  I am fairly concerned by Joe Holmes' articles, however, and will need to verify that each lens is doing what it is supposed to.  Alpa's back calibration procedure should minimze the contribution of camera variables to image degradation.  That leaves the optics.  I would be interested to hear how others have found quality control in the HR series to be?  Has it improved since Holmes made his tests?  Any routine lens testing procedures that you care to share?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:36 am »

Quote from: cunim
In exactly the same situation, except that I am still waiting for my H4D/60.  Oh well, I will start with the H3D/50 next week and wonder how long it will take to sort out the new Blad, and the 50 back on the technical cameras.  Easy would be nice but faint hope.

Have the HR W 40 and 90 initially.  From all I can see these are great lenses on paper and in the hands of others on this board.  I am fairly concerned by Joe Holmes' articles, however, and will need to verify that each lens is doing what it is supposed to.  Alpa's back calibration procedure should minimze the contribution of camera variables to image degradation.  That leaves the optics.  I would be interested to hear how others have found quality control in the HR series to be?  Has it improved since Holmes made his tests?  Any routine lens testing procedures that you care to share?

Well I can only speak for the HR40-W and 90-W on my Linhof. They are probably the best lenses I have seen in a long time. I think the next real interesting lenses will be the new Schneider 28 and 43, once they ship. What test do you mean ? I just use the lens and as long as it does what I want it to do I am happy. However one should be careful not to cut onself. They are quite sharp ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

CBarrett

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:41:23 am »

Speaking of glass, anybody have the scoop on the forthcoming Schneider 28?  Any spec.s?  I keep hearing their release is imminent.  I'm about to plan a trip and want to have this thing in my kit before I depart.  

I may just end up going with the 23HR...

- Mr. Wishy Washy

archivue

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »

Mr Barret, you have a PM to read from me...

archivue

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »

Quote from: Christopher
Well I can only speak for the HR40-W and 90-W on my Linhof.

Can you comment about the distorsion with the 40... can you send me a pic ?

Thanks

PS : i wanted to buy it, but was afraid of it and wasn't able to test it !

schaubild

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 12:55:16 am »

Quote from: narikin
recently acquired a Max + TC bodies, and wondering what lenses people would recommend in the normal or moderate wide lengths.

I'll be using the Max to stitch 2 P65+ images together, maybe on rare occasions 4, but mostly 2.
so need an image circle of around 95 - 100mm, for what will be a 76x54mm area, something between 70-100mm, perhaps.
for walk around with the TC, no stitching of course, a 60-80mm is ideal for my uses.

Maybe it would be a good idea to contact your dealer or Alpa directly, as they for sure know what people use and what works best for specific uses.

archivue

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:05:01 am »

one phrase per lens by Alpa...

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm

The HR Digaron-S 23 mm with the shortest focal length of all digital Rodenstock lenses.

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/24 mm XL

The widest Schneider lens in Digital Photography

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.5/28 mm

Wide and bright

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL

Highest resolution and large image circle

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.0/35 mm

Bright and no center filter needed

Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/38 mm XL

The widest in analog photography

Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/38 mm XL

special version: decentered by 8 mm, can be used on the camera in four positions (= fixed shift of 8 mm in all four directions: upward/downward/left/right, when ordering please define the orientation on the lensboard)

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0/40 mm

The HR Digaron-W 40 mm will become one of the newest members in the digital Rodenstock lens range. It is a sister lens of the Apo-Sironar digital 5.6/70 mm.

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL

The epitome of universality

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL decentered

special version: decentered by 8 mm, can be used on the camera in four positions (= fixed shift of 8 mm in all four directions: upward/downward/left/right, when ordering please define the orientation on the lensboard)

Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/47 mm XL

Super wide with maxiumum shift

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 4.0/50 mm

A little bit more than just standard wide

Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/58 mm XL

Wide but not too wide

Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.0/60 mm N

Small and fast

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.0/60 mm

Speed with image circle reserve

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 5.6/70 mm

100 mm image circle for shift and stitch.

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/72 mm L

High resolution, low distortion

Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.0/80 mm N

A fast alternative

Schneider Super-Symmar Aspheric 4.5/80 mm XL

Versatility at every scale

Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.5/90 mm N

Incredibly sharp

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 5.6/90 mm

A universal lens with reserves for a lot of stitching.

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/100 mm N

Selectivity with large image circle

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.0/100 mm

Family matters

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/120 mm N

Portraits and more

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/120 mm M (macro)

The dedicated digital macro lens

Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6/120 mm L

The missing link

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/150 N

The digital short tele

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/180 mm T

The digital tele

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/180 mm

The longest HR

Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6/180 mm L

Moderate tele photography for the ALPA

Schneider Apo-Digitar 6.8/210 mm T

The longest digital lens

Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 5.6/250 mm

The longest

peegeenyc

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 09:43:27 am »

yeah, the one line comments by Alpa are really not that useful:

"Family matters"  for Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 4.0/100 mm

is really meaningless - its the sharpest of all the Digaron S lenses, the ultimate top resolver, though you'd never guess that.

anywise:

what worries me about Alpa overall is that it gets way too close to the fetish-isation of cameras and their components + craftsmanship.
the camera becomes the thing to own, with its rare wood handles and perfectly formed ultra expensive little accessories.
I dont like to feel I'm buying a $6000 cigarette lighter, carved from a single block of Unobtanium, when a Bic would do the same job.

I say this as an owner, I just catch myself staring at the thing, rather than being out there taking pictures.
the way their brochures self-mythologise the company and its approach is a little too self-conscious.

its about the pictures, not the cameras.
and if a Canon or Nikon, common as they may be, do the job better, as they do for the vast majority of photographers out there, then they should be seriously praised for that, and not overlooked.

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:07 am »

I use an Alpa and both Schneider and Rodenstock.  When possible I purchase Rodenstock.  I have had occasion to send lenses back to both companies and from my little experience, have received better service from Rodenstock.  Also, on one purchase of a 35 mm lens, I had a lot of trouble getting a clean (dust free interior) Schneider.

Just my 2 cents.

Both companies make some great lenses.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »

Pardon the uneducated  in the area of tech/view cameras (but hopefully soon to take the plunge).  Aren't most of the lenses designed for 4x5 view cameras which would have nice large image circles, or have the smaller technical cameras been around long enough most have been designed with those in mind?

narikin

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 09:57:01 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Pardon the uneducated  in the area of tech/view cameras (but hopefully soon to take the plunge).  Aren't most of the lenses designed for 4x5 view cameras which would have nice large image circles, or have the smaller technical cameras been around long enough most have been designed with those in mind?
yes, exactly digital lenses are now designed for smaller 645 size sensors.

For example, Rodenstock reacted so fast to the smaller sensors, that they designed a new series of lenses with an image circle that just fits the 30-39mp sensors. Then full frame 60mp ones arrived, and shifting + stitching arrived, which meant they were of less use. Consequently there's a lens range (Digaron-S) with stunning resolution but nothing to spare in coverage, like 1 or 2mm only!

so... they designed the Digaron-W range, which has some room to spare for larger sensors for shifting or stitching, think of them covering 6x9 with a little extra.

and... you can buy the 'Apo Sironar Digital' ones if you want a really big stitch area, think 4x5" with no extra.

or if you need a massive area, just buy a non digital Large Format 4x5" lens, for huge coverage, but lacking digital quality resolution.

it simply comes down to more resolution OR a bigger image circle - your choice!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:10:39 pm by narikin »

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:24:59 pm »

Quote from: peegeenyc
what worries me about Alpa overall is that it gets way too close to the fetish-isation of cameras and their components + craftsmanship.

its about the pictures, not the cameras.

I agree that it's about the picture for us photographers, but I really, really want those making the gear to have that attitude...it can'tbe a bad thing

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »

BTW,

is anyone using this lens on a P65+

How much real world movememnt is there and is it a good lens?

Cheers

Murray
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

narikin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:17 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
is anyone using this lens on a P65+

How much real world movememnt is there and is it a good lens?
I'd be interested to know this too.

on the Rodenstock chart it has great MTF figures (though note they show it at F5.6, not its widest F4 aperture)
and just 2mm to spare with a P65+ back.

Definitely not one to stitch with, but for sure a great standard-semi wide to walk about with on a TC

real world experience would be better than chart numbers though!

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 10:06:45 am »

I'd be interested to know this too.

on the Rodenstock chart it has great MTF figures (though note they show it at F5.6, not its widest F4 aperture)
and just 2mm to spare with a P65+ back.

Definitely not one to stitch with, but for sure a great standard-semi wide to walk about with on a TC

real world experience would be better than chart numbers though!
the 60HR has about 18 - 20 mm movement on a 36x48mm sensor, so u can estimate that still 12mm are with the p65 possible. its the most conservative rated lens from  rodenstock in terms of image circle ...

rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up