Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 - Quad Printing with Gloss Enhancer not possible  (Read 2451 times)

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Z3100 - Quad Printing with Gloss Enhancer not possible
« on: December 11, 2009, 02:33:07 am »

Trying to profile the Tecco BTI290 Baryt Ivory for quad printing on the Z3100 I would like to use a custom preset for quad printing and using the gloss enhancer to avoid bronzing.
On the HP technical paper "Working with Other Commercially-available Paper HP Designjet Z2100 and Z3100 Photo" there are only two paper options for quad printing: "Fine Art paper >250 g/m²" and "Super Heavyweight Coated", but both settings doesn't use the gloss enhancer (to avoid bronzing with b&w printing).

Using the paper preset of the HP Baryte Satin Art Paper I don't get a sufficient Dmax at 100% Global Ink Limit.

Any hints from Z3100 Black&White geeks are welcome!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:21:13 am »

Quote from: ThomasK
Trying to profile the Tecco BTI290 Baryt Ivory for quad printing on the Z3100 I would like to use a custom preset for quad printing and using the gloss enhancer to avoid bronzing.
On the HP technical paper "Working with Other Commercially-available Paper HP Designjet Z2100 and Z3100 Photo" there are only two paper options for quad printing: "Fine Art paper >250 g/m²" and "Super Heavyweight Coated", but both settings doesn't use the gloss enhancer (to avoid bronzing with b&w printing).

Using the paper preset of the HP Baryte Satin Art Paper I don't get a sufficient Dmax at 100% Global Ink Limit.

Any hints from Z3100 Black&White geeks are welcome!

Thomas,

The Gloss Enhancer is used to avoid bronzing and gloss differentials on gloss papers both for color and B&W.

The only quad configuration possible is Matt K, Photo K, Grey, Light Grey.  And that is usable for matte papers. I very much doubt that the Gloss Enhancer will have enough effect to even out gloss differences when Matt K is used on gloss papers. Most likely the Matt K will not penetrate the gloss coating well and the print is easily damaged too on the MK areas.

You can run the print through twice to check what I have written. First the gloss paper with a Quad setting after that a white image with GE for the entire print page. Next use a normal gloss media preset including GE.

The Dmax of MK and PK on matt paper are very close anyway for a quad set, there is some gain made there in the tone distribution over 4 inks as the MK will make a higher Dmax. On gloss there isn´t anything to gain in Dmax in my opinion. Then the only question remains whether 3 monochrome inks on gloss are doing a sufficient job. The dedicated quad ink sets are mainly used for matte papers so one can not compare a 4,5,6,7 monochrome inkset on gloss. There is also the droplet size, if I recall it correctly the MK is 6 picoliter, the PK 4 picoliter.

I think that using a custom QTR profile on a calibrated printer plus a gloss media preset does more to the quality than using the Matt Black ink on gloss prints.

The HP Baryte Satin Art paper has a haze on the print that reduces its Dmax. Don´t use the GE as it doesn´t help on that issue. Polish the print slightly with a woollen cloth after it dried and then either give it a GE run or put varnish or wax on the print. The HP media presets for that paper are not optimal either, Z3100 or Z3200, linearity in the tone range isn´t correct after calibration, due to the haze effect. Calibration after polishing and the varnish applied is a difficult trick on the printer.  I have a roll here and it can be used but the compromises are too big.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:01:35 am »

Thanks a lot, Ernst.

In fact printing B&W with the settings of "Fine Art paper >250 g/m²" results in bronzing because of the missing gloss enhancer. Running the print another time with only gloss enhancer would be a solution, but it's too time consuming when printing for clients.

I will profile another preset using the settings of "Fine Art Pearl Paper (more ink)". This preset uses the gloss enhancer and a ink limit of 46 instead of 60 with "Fine Art paper >250 g/m²".
Pages: [1]   Go Up