Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Trees  (Read 369184 times)

tim wolcott

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 523
    • http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Love those Trees
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »

That other tree shot was amazing by Melville  "Hats Off".  I will have to go and see that one.  So I want to see yours.  Trees are majestic and fascinating.  

I have been in love with tree since I started shooting.

Here you will see some trees that captured my heart.

The first one is my very first color image I ever shot, while standing in the cold winter waters of Mono Lake 1985.

The second one was shot in The Great Smokey Mtns 8 minute exposure shot under a full moon.

The third shot during the great flood on New Hampshire and 4th shot Pennsylvania.


http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:41:52 PM by tim wolcott »
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8133
Love those Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:08:24 AM »

I must say that I like them all but have a very slight preference for the third one and the last one.
Logged
Francois

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1366
Love those Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 06:59:21 AM »

They are excellent! I am partial to the second one, the spring blossoms.

JMR
Logged

BlasR

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 760
    • http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »

I like the first one

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11076
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »

#s 1 and 2 and 6 for me. The last partly because I have always found evergreens harder to photograph than deciduous trees. Maples, oaks, and dogwoods always seem to have more "personality".

Nice work.

Eric

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website. New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org

tokengirl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 360
Love those Trees
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »

I am really partial to the first one, the clean composition portrays a strong sense of loneliness.


Since you want to see trees, here are a few of mine:

There is a spot along the main road through Everglades National Park where they cypress trees end and the mangroves begin.  This is that spot.


This dwarf cypress is a little over three feet tall.  I was amazed to find out that this tree and other dwarf cypress like it are incredibly old - some as much as 200 years old.


A cypress dome I stumbled upon while walking an obscure trail in the Everglades.


A lone mangrove tree leading the pack into Biscayne Bay.


Another lone mangrove tree at the mouth of the Rogers River, which winds through the Everglades and spills out into the Gulf of Mexico.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:05:12 PM by tokengirl »
Logged

tim wolcott

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 523
    • http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »

Quote from: tokengirl
I am really partial to the first one, the clean composition portrays a strong sense of loneliness.


Since you want to see trees, here are a few of mine:

There is a spot along the main road through Everglades National Park where they cypress trees end and the mangroves begin.  This is that spot.


This dwarf cypress is a little over three feet tall.  I was amazed to find out that this tree and other dwarf cypress like it are incredibly old - some as much as 200 years old.


A cypress dome I stumbled upon while walking an obscure trail in the Everglades.


A lone mangrove tree leading the pack into Biscayne Bay.


Another lone mangrove tree at the mouth of the Rogers River, which winds through the Everglades and spills out into the Gulf of Mexico.
I like what your doing.  Very nice the swamp walk would be very sellable.  I show my images in galleries and museums worldwide.  That would sell, in galleries. Like it very much.  hope to see more from others also.  Tim
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:27:11 PM by tim wolcott »
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5821
    • M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

Love trees... #1, 3, 4 are my favourites.

Here are some recent images...

Mike.
[attachment=18591:DSCF6085.jpg][attachment=18592:DSCF6089.jpg][attachment=18593:
DSCF6653_P.jpg][attachment=18594:DSCF6691.jpg][attachment=18595:DSCF6798.jpg]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:05:06 AM by wolfnowl »
Logged
If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings

button

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 427
    • http://
Love those Trees
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »

Quote from: BlasR
I like the first one

Me too.  That sun position in this context struck me as Gottlieb-esqe.  I also like the clenliness of the lines and colors, and that glass-like water.  Great light painting- you've combined abstraction with surrealism.

John
Logged

tim wolcott

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 523
    • http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Love trees... #1, 3, 4 are my favourites.

Here are some recent images...

Mike.
[attachment=18591:DSCF6085.jpg][attachment=18592:DSCF6089.jpg][attachment=18593:
DSCF6653_P.jpg][attachment=18594:DSCF6691.jpg][attachment=18595:DSCF6798.jpg]
Love the quote, only if people would slow down and enjoy there surroundings.

Photographers need to slow down and look through framing cards.

Love the trees, by the way where is the last one.  What a hugh monster of a tree.  Thanks Tim
Logged

mattpallante

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 138
Love those Trees
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »

Ooh, Tim this is really beautiful[attachment=18612:Looking_..._Birches.jpg]

here's one from the Blue Ridge...[attachment=18613:overlook...4234_lzn.jpg]
Logged

djgarcia

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 341
    • http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Love those Trees
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

Yikes! How do you get the images to come out in small thumbnails? Sorry about that ...

DJ
Logged
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII & 1DsIII, Zeiss & Leica lenses
http://improbablystructuredlayers.net

tim wolcott

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 523
    • http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »

Quote from: djgarcia
Yikes! How do you get the images to come out in small thumbnails? Sorry about that ...

DJ
How did you get your images to come out big.  That's what I want so no one has to click on them.  Like the trees and your right they have great character.  Love the trunk up close with no one carved into it.  Gotta love those trees.  Tim
Logged

djgarcia

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 341
    • http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Love those Trees
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:31:18 PM »

Quote from: tim wolcott
How did you get your images to come out big.  That's what I want so no one has to click on them.  Like the trees and your right they have great character.  Love the trunk up close with no one carved into it.  Gotta love those trees.  Tim
Hi Tim - I just clicked the insert image icon and put the image address from my web site into the dialog box. Long live trees!

DJ
Logged
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII & 1DsIII, Zeiss & Leica lenses
http://improbablystructuredlayers.net

Brad Proctor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 150
Love those Trees
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »

The first one is absolutely beautiful!

Quote from: stamper
On a sour note I don't think hi jacking someone's post with more images is the right thing?

Agreed.
Logged
Brad Proctor

djgarcia

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 341
    • http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Love those Trees
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »

Quote from: stamper
Going back to the original post, I really liked the ones with the autumn colours but I wasn't sure about the strong blue colour cast. On a sour note I don't think hi jacking someone's post with more images is the right thing?
My apologies. I interpreted the poster's "I want to see yours" too literally.

DJ
Logged
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII & 1DsIII, Zeiss & Leica lenses
http://improbablystructuredlayers.net

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5821
    • M&M's Musings
Love those Trees
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »

Quote from: tim wolcott
Love the trees, by the way where is the last one.  What a hugh monster of a tree.  Thanks Tim

Thanks, Tim.  That big one (giant sequoia) is in Beacon Hill Park, Victoria, BC.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings

iancl

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 99
    • http://www.iancoxleigh.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »

Tim, I like the first three a lot. The stark minimalism of the first image's composition works nicely with the strong colour. The dogwood is simply such a phenomenal dogwood and the choice to use lunar illumination has given a deliciously soft light that allows the tree itself to glow. In the third, I am drawn to the strong verticals and the interplay between the vertical trunks and the cascading waters. The panorama crop with the birches in your follow up post strikes my fancy as well.

I am now totally confused as to whether I am expected to share or not. I too took the OPs request to see others' work literally. But, I can see that had been met with criticism upthread.

So, here are a few of my own; however, you have to click the links. A happy medium?

Hoh, Fallen, Climb, Alone, Bristlecone

Others:
 
Tenacity, Piper, At the Edge, Poles, Erratic, Transfiguration, Undulation, Tillamook
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:15:04 AM by iancl »
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11076
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Love those Trees
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »

Quote from: iancl
I am now totally confused as to whether I am expected to share or not. I too took the OPs request to see others' work literally. But, I can see that had been met with criticism upthread. 

So, here are a few of my own; however, you have to click the links. A happy medium?

Hoh, Fallen, Climb, Alone, Bristlecone

Others:
 
Tenacity, Piper, At the Edge, Poles, Erratic, Transfiguration, Undulation, Tillamook
Well, Tim started this thread, and he said 
Quote
So I want to see yours. Trees are majestic and fascinating.
I wonder what part of "So I want to see yours" Stamper doesn't understand.


There is another thread which more explicitly invites viewers to post their "rocks", so I think it is reasonable to suppose that Tim was making such an invitation here. Note also that he didn't complain about Mike posting some trees.

Unless Tim objects, I plan to post some trees of my own here soon (real soon, when I get around to it).

Eric

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes

http://myrvaagnes.com  Visit my photo website. New images each season. Also visit my new website: http://ericneedsakidney.org
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 95   Go Up