Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 155   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Trees  (Read 859253 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Re: Love those Trees
« Reply #880 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:56 am »

Thanks for the comments. In the photo I have adjusted the tree to be brought out a bit more, while the surrounding area was darkened to support this. I felt that any more so would make the lighting seem unrealistic, so I decided to stop. I think the composition could be helped by better lighting, but I do enjoy the colours created by the light within this scene as is. I plan to try this as a black and white to see if that can better isolate the tree, but I have a fear the entire composition might be lost to the textures if a conversion is made. Colour helps to bring order to this, I think.

The water colour is mostly a result of the reflection from the sky (overcast blueish-grey). I tried a couple shots with a polarizer but the texture underneath the water, in my opinion, worked better by being hidden by the reflection. Not sure about the texture though.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #881 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:55 pm »

Thanks for the comments. In the photo I have adjusted the tree to be brought out a bit more, while the surrounding area was darkened to support this. I felt that any more so would make the lighting seem unrealistic, so I decided to stop. I think the composition could be helped by better lighting, but I do enjoy the colours created by the light within this scene as is. I plan to try this as a black and white to see if that can better isolate the tree, but I have a fear the entire composition might be lost to the textures if a conversion is made. Colour helps to bring order to this, I think.

The water colour is mostly a result of the reflection from the sky (overcast blueish-grey). I tried a couple shots with a polarizer but the texture underneath the water, in my opinion, worked better by being hidden by the reflection. Not sure about the texture though.

Thanks for explaining the water. Yeah, sometimes it does that to the sensors. I hope you have more photos to look at!

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #882 on: February 18, 2013, 01:19:59 am »

This is just the bottom half of a vertical stitch of five shots, but I think it works better on its own

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #883 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:18 am »

I like it, but can we see the entire image?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #884 on: February 18, 2013, 09:50:03 am »

This is just the bottom half of a vertical stitch of five shots, but I think it works better on its own
This is quite an exciting photograph of a somewhat common piece of nature. The lighting here is the main ingredient of success. It makes this so three dimensional I can feel a part of the image. The second layer of trees adds another element of surprise and beauty. I am a tree lover, and shoot many failed images of trees, so when I see one working this well, I am very excited.

Your framing is dead on perfect here. Without "seeing the photograph" it would be tempting to try to get the treetops into the picture. But they are superfluous and you have properly framed the story here with the shadows and the b/g trees in their proper roles. There's plenty of terra at the bottom to provide the base to anchor everything and give the shadows room to dance. There's even some rhythmic cloud ribbons in the back too. Fabulous!

I don't want to spend too much time on small technical things, but maybe the blacks could blacker for my taste. Feels a trifle light? Maybe a tad more contrast? But these are just the way I might see it. I like my trees a bit contrasty, and if you don't then fine, the picture is gorgeous either way because you put some of your "self" into seeing this image. It shows. What an enjoyable photograph!

LTP

• Lost Trail Photography
« Reply #885 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:43 am »

My first post in LuLa...  I love trees.  These were taken in the Great Smoky Mountains.

-Shoekai

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #886 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:00 am »

Welcome, Shoekai.
I like #1.
#2 has the trees against two very different backgrounds, the darker landscape and the bright sky. Sometimes a more consistent background, as in #1, works better. Lots of examples in the foregoing images.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:42:11 am by sdwilsonsct »

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #887 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:17 pm »

My first post in LuLa...  I love trees.  These were taken in the Great Smoky Mountains.

-Shoekai
Welcome! Don't take any of my comments personally. They are about the photographs.

#1 I am passing by because I have a negative reaction to the "feathery water" idea, which for me has become a cliche of technique that is overused and usually doesn't say much other than "trick."

But, #2 is a tree lover's delight and I am happy to see it. It has color, composition and mostly character. The character coming directly from your appreciation and love of trees, I assume. It is restful in some ways, and dramatic in others. The color values balance nicely with no distractions. The subjects are clear and I can wander through the photo at a leisurely pace.

However, I think the framing could have been better if you allowed a bit more ground under the bases to support them. The point you have chosen to cut them off feels unbalanced. I would go further down, or further up - preferring down.

I think there is an expressive mood in the photograph, and it's very enjoyable. Hope you have more!

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #888 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

As requested, the full image of those beech trees

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #889 on: February 18, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

I like the Beeches and, though hearing no request, here they are again.

Bruce

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #890 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »

I like the Beeches and, though hearing no request, here they are again.

Bruce

It was here -

I like it, but can we see the entire image?

Mike.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #891 on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

Yes, but I took the liberty of adjusting them a little before I returned them.  If you don't like it I will take it down.

Bruce

LTP

• Lost Trail Photography
« Reply #892 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »

Welcome, Shoekai.
I like #1.
#2 has the trees against two very different backgrounds, the darker landscape and the bright sky. Sometimes a more consistent background, as in #1, works better. Lots of examples in the foregoing images.

Hi Scott - Thanks.  For #2, yep, I wish I had a little better separation between the foreground trees and the background.

Welcome! Don't take any of my comments personally. They are about the photographs.

#1 I am passing by because I have a negative reaction to the "feathery water" idea, which for me has become a cliche of technique that is overused and usually doesn't say much other than "trick."

But, #2 is a tree lover's delight and I am happy to see it. It has color, composition and mostly character. The character coming directly from your appreciation and love of trees, I assume. It is restful in some ways, and dramatic in others. The color values balance nicely with no distractions. The subjects are clear and I can wander through the photo at a leisurely pace.

However, I think the framing could have been better if you allowed a bit more ground under the bases to support them. The point you have chosen to cut them off feels unbalanced. I would go further down, or further up - preferring down.

I think there is an expressive mood in the photograph, and it's very enjoyable. Hope you have more!

Hi RedwoodGuy - I really appreciate your comments.  For #2, yes, I were totally immersed in that subtle but compelling beauty of these trees in that foggy and drizzling morning.  For #1, I know what you meant by the overuse and cliche of "feathery water".  So, nowadays, I use it with caution, and only when there is a very clear intention.  Thanks.

-Shoekai

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #893 on: February 18, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

, I know what you meant by the overuse and cliche of "feathery water".  So, nowadays, I use it with caution, and only when there is a very clear intention.  Thanks.

-Shoekai
Thanks for the reply - that seems like an excellent idea to me.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #894 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:36 pm »

I like the uncropped verson better, Bill. There will always be someone who does, right?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #895 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:12 pm »

Well I started off shooting the bottom bit, but then looked up & thought, 'vertical panorama, why not give it a try'. So I did. But the 'crop' was the shot I was after & the version I prefer.

BTW, I tried stitching with Hugin & got a complete mess. Until I thought to rotate the individual photos & stitch as per a normal pano, then rotate the finished image. Then it worked.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #896 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:30 am »

godawful wetlands, despite what appears to be a trail. Not quite swamp, but might as well have been.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #897 on: February 21, 2013, 02:03:19 am »

If you want to get technical, a 'swamp' is a wetland that has trees growing in it.  But you probably don't.   ;)

Mike.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #898 on: February 21, 2013, 06:16:58 pm »

I don't know if he loves that tree, surely he loves the Virgin Mary.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #899 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:21 pm »

I wonder if the artist has ever heard of the Haudenosaunee 'False Face' society.  Masks were carved into and then separated from living baswood trees.  The carving must be very fresh in this image - once the ground thaws out and the sap starts running the face will be unrecognizable and eventually completely buried.  But the artist will still be aware of it, and maybe that was the point.

Mike.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 155   Go Up