Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more aspects to see if working with 35mm .....  (Read 3377 times)

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
more aspects to see if working with 35mm .....
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »

after my enthusiastic tests with the tse lenses i came now to the point to get bored by the few dust spots my sensor showed, searched my old 160$ sensor brushes and cleaned carefull with them and a dust blower. bad luck that the brushes seems to have been not more clean and brought some dirtyness to the sensor so it got unusable. after 1 hour of trying to clean it now with my ( fantastic ) sinar cleaning pads and fluid the canon sensor is 100% unusable dirty now and needs to see calumet. which unfortunately does not exists the next 600 km till madrid. nice.
monday goes my flight to munich, tuesday morning i have to shoot and thought to do it with the canon. better i take my good old artek and bring the 5d2 to calumet ... and buy a second canon too. things are not always as they look to be and there really are many more aspects in the game than only resolution and pixel peepings. this is one of them. sure i handled the stuff not very prof. but mistakes happen and i dont like to be without usable camera for such bs.
i am angry.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:22:59 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Conner999

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:48:46 pm »

I use the VB brush system. While I clean the brush with 99% Iso Alcohol when done every cleaning cycle, every time I stick that brush oh so carefully into that lubricant-laden sensor well on my DSLR I wonder "Is it going to be a good day today or not...?". Never saw the point of a blower just to shift the dust around.  All the other pluses and minuses of using MFDB vs 35mm aside, the ability to simply pop off the back and get unimpeded access to the sensor is one to envy.

Another reason, for me, to avoid the S2. For $25K+++++, I want easy cleaning access to the sensor.

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:02:37 pm »

Quote from: Conner999
I use the VB brush system. While I clean the brush with 99% Iso Alcohol when done every cleaning cycle, every time I stick that brush oh so carefully into that lubricant-laden sensor well on my DSLR I wonder "Is it going to be a good day today or not...?". Never saw the point of a blower just to shift the dust around.  All the other pluses and minuses of using MFDB vs 35mm aside, the ability to simply pop off the back and get unimpeded access to the sensor is one to envy.

Another reason, for me, to avoid the S2. For $25K+++++, I want easy cleaning access to the sensor.

I've always used the blower whenever I see dust.  Never really a problem.  I do, however, tend to use one lens/one camera, rarely changing lenses.  

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:01:37 pm »

Quote from: rainer_v
after my enthusiastic tests with the tse lenses i came now to the point to get bored by the few dust spots my sensor showed, searched my old 160$ sensor brushes and cleaned carefull with them and a dust blower. bad luck that the brushes seems to have been not more clean and brought some dirtyness to the sensor so it got unusable. after 1 hour of trying to clean it now with my ( fantastic ) sinar cleaning pads and fluid the canon sensor is 100% unusable dirty now and needs to see calumet. which unfortunately does not exists the next 600 km till madrid. nice.
monday goes my flight to munich, tuesday morning i have to shoot and thought to do it with the canon. better i take my good old artek and bring the 5d2 to calumet ... and buy a second canon too. things are not always as they look to be and there really are many more aspects in the game than only resolution and pixel peepings. this is one of them. sure i handled the stuff not very prof. but mistakes happen and i dont like to be without usable camera for such bs.
i am angry.  

Sorry to hear about this as I am the one who suggested it.

I avoided cleaning my 1DsM3's myself, beyond the built-in cleaning system, for the first year or so of having them.  I had cleaned my prior 1DsM2's and 1's but I had heard stories of there being a flytrap of sorts in the camera to catch dust that the sensor shakes off.  Don't know if that is true or not.

Regardless, another arch. photographer told me that he has had no problem cleaning his 5DM2's with the Visible Dust brushes.  So, I gave it shot on my 1DsM3's and it's worked fine for me.  No issues at all and the cameras are much cleaner for it.  I clean before every job now.

I haven't had to use them but I do keep some of VD's cleaning swabs and cleaner around just in case.  I always have two bodies, too.

--
Site | Blog

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »

The (outrageously priced) VD system works well - the trick is avoiding getting the brush contaminated with lubricants, etc around the sensor itself and the spreading that #$%^ on the sensor - necessitating a wet cleaning. I tend to use a narrow crop-sensor-sized brush on FF that I further trim down before first use to make narrower. While I 'charge' the brush well and try to just hover it over the sensor (vs make physical contact with it) if I can to just let the static charge on the brush (hopefully) pull the dust off the sensor, it's still like playing that old game "Operation" on occasion. No fault of VD, have to get rid of the dust bunnies somehow.  If I need to wet clean (very rare) I use Eclipse fluid and VD swabs - tend to get best streak-free results with that combo.

That said, to have the ability to pop of the sensor for a quick cleaning before a shoot ... gotta love that.

Hum, that reminds me - need to clean my brush...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:20:35 pm by Conner999 »

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »

[quote The (outrageously priced) VD system
[/quote]

since many years I just use normal artist brushes from the local artist shop for about 10 euros to clean the my 35mm and the mf sensors. never noticed any problems. for that amount of money you can afford to have a few clean extra brushes in all sizes at hand. (I clean them with dishwashing liquid before using them on the sensor). especialy with the canon sensor, I use a bigger brush to brush the dust into one corner of the sensor and then a smaller brush to pick it up from the corners. just like when you clean the sidewalk in front of your house on a saturday (for all non-germans here: that´what you are supposed to do every saturday in germany).

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

fmo

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

despite this is supposed to be the large sensor and digital back forum and i start getting bored of reading more and more 35mm issues here i can recommend sensor film for cleaning of a dslr sensor. only best experiences with my 1dsmk2.

Sensor film

anyway i would never ever switch back from my leaf aptus to the canon.
totally personal opinion. cheers, frank

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:59:34 am »

Quote from: fmo
despite this is supposed to be the large sensor and digital back forum and i start getting bored of reading more and more 35mm issues here i can recommend sensor film for cleaning of a dslr sensor. only best experiences with my 1dsmk2.

Sensor film

anyway i would never ever switch back from my leaf aptus to the canon.
totally personal opinion. cheers, frank

ok. 3 hours later next day got it. 96% isoprop sinar cleaning cloths with a handmade plastik spattle ...
cleaned more than in 4 years of medium format. my sinar sensor together with the artek works WEEKS dustfree ....

and dear frank: many people got ruined sensors for your nice tip ( esp. with the 5dmk2 ) cause the fluid dont get always removed completely  , as it seems after some internet research.
further: you could be a bit more polite ? esp. after complaining formerly also about too much hasselblad and too much personal for your taste here in ll. 3 complaints in 17 posts. not bad. if you are only interested in leaf and your new arca m go where people only speak about this system and dont be here rude as u are.

didnt you got it that i am doing a kind of "real world " test between the systms ? and i do it  at first for me, but in opposite to you i share my findings here and dont just participate/ profitate and complain.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:13:12 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Mr. Rib

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:19:46 pm »

I think it's great  that 'large sensor' forum part tends to revolve around subject of pro photography rather than discuss sensors and only sensor-related subjects. It's so much more insightful and I think everyone reading this forum section benefits from it because so many good pros contribute. It's enough to browse through 'lighting techniques' and 'becoming great arch. photographer' topics to see that.. Large sensor section is like a forum within a forum and I hope it'll remain that way.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 04:55:34 pm »

Quote from: Mr. Rib
I think it's great  that 'large sensor' forum part tends to revolve around subject of pro photography rather than discuss sensors and only sensor-related subjects. It's so much more insightful and I think everyone reading this forum section benefits from it because so many good pros contribute. It's enough to browse through 'lighting techniques' and 'becoming great arch. photographer' topics to see that.. Large sensor section is like a forum within a forum and I hope it'll remain that way.

I second that!!!!!
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

telyt

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 06:00:49 pm »

Quote from: Conner999
... to have the ability to pop of the sensor for a quick cleaning before a shoot ... gotta love that.

One of the many things I like about the Leica DMR.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 07:37:03 pm »

Rainer:
Sensor Klear works everytime for me. First I blow the sensor with a Giotto and after that use the Lens pen. Somehow it works fine. Usually I get rid of 95% of dirt after 2 passes. However never managed to 100%. One bunny here or one over there is no big deal. My advice is don't get compulsive about dslr sensor cleaning.
http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/
Best
Eduardo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:00:09 pm by uaiomex »

alba63

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 07:21:17 am »

Quote from: rainer_v
ok. 3 hours later next day got it. 96% isoprop sinar cleaning cloths with a handmade plastik spattle ...

I have been using a similar method for years: handmade plastic "spattle" (cut of a stripe from an old plastic money card) + pecpads + Eclipse 2 fluid. Method is safe and not difficult to make. Eclipse and Pecpads available in many places (at least in germany), quite cheap also.

and dear frank: many people got ruined sensors for your nice tip ( esp. with the 5dmk2 ) cause the fluid dont get always removed completely  , as it seems after some internet research.

I also would never use something like sensor film. A while ago I bought a used 1ds Mark II, after getting it, it had a technical fault, the Canon service found  "wax- like" residues on the inside of the body (that may have caused the error 99). In the end the seller admitted that it was "Disco film", not wax. He had used it regulary and obviously some of the film had ended up in places where it did not belong.

Repair cost: Sensor + mirror box.  Too much - I gave the camera back.

Same risk is with Q- tips, I saw several people ruin the sensor glass with them. Not the right material.

regards
Bernie
Pages: [1]   Go Up