Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Pro8A compared to Broncolor ScoroA4S  (Read 27940 times)

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Profoto Pro8A compared to Broncolor ScoroA4S
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2009, 04:04:19 pm »

Quote from: teddillard
Nobody interested in doing this?  Ulf?  I scared you off?

Hi Ted,

not scared off, but probably a waste of time. I cannot see where this should lead to. You would bring in a lot more variables like shutter and aperture tolerances of a camera and want to state power consistency of these precise packs? I would suggest the use of the best test equipment for this kind of work instead, but IMO, you won´t experience color or power consistency problems with these packs in your daily work anyway.

Cheers, Ulf

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2009, 04:56:40 pm »

Quote from: UlfKrentz
Hi Ted,

not scared off, but probably a waste of time. I cannot see where this should lead to. You would bring in a lot more variables like shutter and aperture tolerances of a camera and want to state power consistency of these precise packs? I would suggest the use of the best test equipment for this kind of work instead, but IMO, you won´t experience color or power consistency problems with these packs in your daily work anyway.

Cheers, Ulf

Well, OK...  It would simply lead to anyone out there finding out how consistent their systems actually are.  How do shutter and aperture tolerances come into play?  Same camera, same head, same pack, 5 flashes in a row?  The point is to see if each of the 5 exposures are identical.  

I was mostly interested in seeing how your modified Profoto heads compare to your Bron heads- that would be a simple test with the same camera/lens.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:58:01 pm by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

UlfKrentz

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2009, 05:27:38 pm »

Well, OK...  It would simply lead to anyone out there finding out how consistent their systems actually are.  How do shutter and aperture tolerances come into play?  Same camera, same head, same pack, 5 flashes in a row?  The point is to see if each of the 5 exposures are identical.  

I was mostly interested in seeing how your modified Profoto heads compare to your Bron heads- that would be a simple test with the same camera/lens.

I know what you like to see, but you assume that there will be no tolerances with your camera system during that 5 shots. Did you ever work with a DB sinar/copal shutter ;-) ? If so, you know what I mean. Even up to date cameras will vary from shot to shot, like the packs will slightly do. Concerning the different heads, like I posted earlier, it´s not the head it´s the pack that creates the differences. If I will find some time during the holidays I might do the testing, would do it in darkness without using a shutter and without touching the aperture. The greatest problem will be finding that color chart, I know I had one 10 years ago ;-))

Cheers, Ulf

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2009, 08:12:48 pm »

If you used a slow shutter speed, say longer than 1/100 second, shutter speed will have no effect on flash consistency because it is wide open before flash fires and still wide open after flash firing is complete. The only time shutter might have an effect on flash consistency is when shooting near max sync speed.

teddillard

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2009, 07:35:21 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
If you used a slow shutter speed, say longer than 1/100 second, shutter speed will have no effect on flash consistency because it is wide open before flash fires and still wide open after flash firing is complete. The only time shutter might have an effect on flash consistency is when shooting near max sync speed.

Thanks for that, I was biting my tongue...    

Shutter speed has no bearing whatsoever on the exposure if there is no ambient light.  Aperture variations between lenses have no bearing on the exposure, either, if you're comparing the same camera/lens shot-to-shot.  

That is the entire basis for our testing.  

Anyway, the offer's still on, anyone want some real data on their systems, just DM me.
Ted Dillard

AlDoori

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2009, 11:59:57 am »

this review compares the pro8a and the scoroA4S: a different conclusion
www.pdngearguide.com

teddillard

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2009, 02:38:10 pm »

Quote from: AlDoori
this review compares the pro8a and the scoroA4S: a different conclusion
www.pdngearguide.com
...yeah, I always like to read reviews that start with a "Buy It Now" button.    

(and have no testing data...  just sayin')
Ted Dillard

UlfKrentz

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 04:37:55 pm »

Thanks for that, I was biting my tongue...    

Shutter speed has no bearing whatsoever on the exposure if there is no ambient light.  Aperture variations between lenses have no bearing on the exposure, either, if you're comparing the same camera/lens shot-to-shot.  

That is the entire basis for our testing.  

Anyway, the offer's still on, anyone want some real data on their systems, just DM me.

Hi Ted, Hi Jonathan,

Ok guys, thanks for pointing out, BUT - I never talked about shutter speed, what I actually meant was shutter release and the following setting of the aperture in the lense from full open to the working aperture. This is a new mechanical setting done each new exposure, why do you assume there will be no tolerances from shot to shot alone through the camera?
(May I quote from your review: "There is variation from head to head and from channel to channel, but not more than what we’re seeing just from flash to flash, making it pretty difficult to come to any conclusions about where any variations are coming from.")

But regarding shutter speed (for the first time): It can have influence, too. It does not really matter if the shutter speed is near the max sync speed but if the whole flash duration fits in the time window. For example: Bron Scoro has a flash duration of 1/132s at max power (this is test series three) and can even be set down to 1/85s with other powersetting, so even using a leaf-shutter being able to sync 1/500s can "cut" some light when set to slow 1/100, which is far from the max snyc speed, OK? BTW, leaf shutter times are defined from the beginning of opening until complete closing, it´s not the time being full open, flash sync is given reaching full opening. Using radio-sync, especially with channel separation will add some delay to flash sync, making things even worse. For these reasons you can get a lot more light from a big pack, especially the older ones, if you use slower shutter speeds with leaf shutters. (Regarding the equal max. output of both systems: Which shutter speed did you use during your tests? To which measuring time was your flashmeter set or working with? ...)

FYI, color temp of my bron lampbase is 5500K, measured with FCC (non esoteric Camera/software measurement configuration) - and I am reading this result every pop. Just tried 10 times with setting 8.0, using Grafit packs. Color temp with Scoro is 5600K, opt. color (no different readings between the pops) or 5800K set to speed mode, giving constant color but NOT shortest flash duration. The Profoto system is supposed to be very close to that color, too. With your tools used you will probably find out daylight in Boston is around 4650K :-)

So, have fun, go on making your tests, but be careful with the results (and biting your tongue), nothing more to say.

Cheers, Ulf
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:04:42 am by UlfKrentz »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up