Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using spectrometer/colorimeter combo?  (Read 5488 times)

probep

Using spectrometer/colorimeter combo?
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:52:23 am »

It is known that a spectrometer provides more accurate color measurements than a "generic" colorimeter does when measuring most displays.
But a spectrometer can suffer from drift and low luminance noise issues that can cause problems - specifically when measuring and calibrating near black. - In general colorimeters provide superior low luminance measurements than spectrometer.

There are some applications for home theater display/projector calibration that use spectrometer/colorimeter combination to get full range accuracy and low-light sensitivity.
For example, ChromaPure supports the i1Pro/i1D2 combo. See also a demo.

Why this method is not supported in any monitor profiling software? Are there drawbacks?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:46:26 am by probep »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:55:39 am »

Quote from: probep
It is known that a spectrometer provides more accurate color measurements than a "generic" colorimeter does when measuring most displays.
But a spectrometer can suffer from drift and low luminance noise issues that can cause problems - specifically when measuring and calibrating near black. - In general colorimeters provide superior low luminance measurements than spectrometer.

There are some applications for home theater display/projector calibration that use spectrometer/colorimeter combination to get full range accuracy and low-light sensitivity.
For example, ChromaPurge supports the i1Pro/i1D2 combo. See also a demo.

Why this method is not supported in monitor profiling software? Are there drawbacks?

You can calibrate the display with spectrophotometer first, then use the colorimeter to calibrate it using native whitepoint target, and switch the colorimetric values in the created profile with values from the profile created after calibraton with the spectro.

You'll get better linearity, and proper wtpt and colorimetric informations.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

probep

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:12 am »

Quote from: Czornyj
You can calibrate the display with spectrophotometer first, then use the colorimeter to calibrate it using native whitepoint target, and switch the colorimetric values in the created profile with values from the profile created after calibraton with the spectro.

You'll get better linearity, and proper wtpt and colorimetric informations.
Your advice is very interesting. Thanks.
But it seems to me that the substitution of colorimeter values with spectrometer values is not good enought for LUT based profiles.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:09 am »

Quote from: probep
Your advice is very interesting. Thanks.
But it seems to me that the substitution of colorimeter values with spectrometer values is not good enought for LUT based profiles.

Why? You can create a LUT profile with the spectro, same LUT profile with the colorimeter, and just switch the tags that contain look up tables. And if you'd have a display with hardware calibration, you could calibrate it with a spectro, then calibrate it at native wtpt with a colorimeter, and - in the end  - only profile it with a spectro.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:54:00 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

probep

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:54 pm »

Quote from: Czornyj
Why?
Because a spectrometer suffers from drift and low luminance noise near black. The part of each profile's LUT associated with small Y values will be inaccurate.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:54:31 pm by probep »
Pages: [1]   Go Up