Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating NEC2690Wuxi2 alongside another monitor  (Read 2800 times)

Neuffy

Calibrating NEC2690Wuxi2 alongside another monitor
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »

I've just picked up an NEC 2690Wuxi2, and I'm having some trouble calibrating my monitor setup.

Setup:
Monitor 1: NEC 2690Wuxi2 with Spectraview & Eye-One Pro.
Monitor 2: Westinghouse 24" MVA with Eye-One Match and Eye-One Pro.
WinXP, nVidia 8800GT.

The NEC is being hardware LUT calibrated, but the Westinghouse is incapable of being hardware calibrated.

As far as I can tell, this OS/hardware setup is incapable of having two different software monitor profiles.

The only "solution" I've thought of so far is to software calibrate the Westinghouse first. Then, hardware calibrate the NEC specifically disabling any non-hardware icc profiling. I quite simply do not know if this will work and am uncertain as to whether there could be any problems introduced by hardware-over-software calibration. For all I know, I could be completely off-base with this.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »

I've got a similar setup and went through the same thought process as you.  I do not believe that XP allows one to have 2 differently calibrated monitors on one system.

I finally just calibrated the NEC using SpectraView II and did not calibrate the second.  The smaller monitor was used mainly for PS tool bars and other apps where color calibration is not necessary.  And it also allowed me to color check web images on a more "typical" monitor setup.

Paul

Neuffy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:42:27 am »

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Quote from: PaulS
I've got a similar setup and went through the same thought process as you.  I do not believe that XP allows one to have 2 differently calibrated monitors on one system.

I finally just calibrated the NEC using SpectraView II and did not calibrate the second.  The smaller monitor was used mainly for PS tool bars and other apps where color calibration is not necessary.  And it also allowed me to color check web images on a more "typical" monitor setup.

Paul

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:09 am »

Quote from: PaulS
do not believe that XP allows one to have 2 differently calibrated monitors on one system.

I have XP with 2 differently calibratet monitors and it works fine with my ATI Radeon, but there's something wrong, usually with nVidia drivers, and many times I couldn't properly calibrate two monitor setups of my friends and clients - no matter if the system was XP or Vista, any additional profile managing software (Color Control Panel Applet and so on) also didn't help .

The problem was that the system identifies both monitors as the same one, and associetes the same profile to both devices as a result. For the first time I thought, that maybe the graphics card has only one LUT, but it wasn't the case - I could manually load different linearisations to both LUT-s using PM Calibration Tester, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't associete two different profiles to two different monitors. It's especially irritating when you work with wide and normal gamut display, and the CMM is using wide gamut profile while managing colors on normal gamut display, and desaturates colors.

If someone knows the solution of that issue, I'd be really grateful to learn it. My observation is that it usually doesn't work with nVidia cards, and it sometimes work with ATI Radeon cards, but there's no rule.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:46:57 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:22:38 pm »

The problem with XP has always been one location in the registry to store profiles. So if you made one and then a second, the second was stored right over the first. Vista does not have this limitation. It is also not a video lut issue as mentioned above. However if you use the windows Color Applet with XP or an ATI video card the problem is indeed solved.
However there is another problem. What I can't say for sure is whether there is an issue of the NEC lutloader not loading a non nec profile.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:50:01 am »

Quote from: jackbingham
The problem with XP has always been one location in the registry to store profiles. So if you made one and then a second, the second was stored right over the first. Vista does not have this limitation. It is also not a video lut issue as mentioned above. However if you use the windows Color Applet with XP or an ATI video card the problem is indeed solved.
However there is another problem. What I can't say for sure is whether there is an issue of the NEC lutloader not loading a non nec profile.

NEC software stores calibration data in a .mcs file and loads it into internal 12bit LUT of the display, so of course it doesn't care about calibration data from vcgt tag in a profile. But Neuffy had mentioned, that he also has i1Match software, that puts gamma loader application to autostart - so it should load calibration data into graphics card LUT.

As for XP registry issues, I tried to install Color Applet, and it didn't help, and once I also had the same problem with Vista. It rather looked like driver issue.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:22:49 am »

I'm not sure what the issue was for you and the color applet but I have helped a large number of customers install and use it as a loader.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

Neuffy

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:31:02 am »

It looks like Color Applet may have solved the problem. It allowed two separate profiles to be loaded. Over the weekend I'll check through it and see if they're working properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up