Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland Bound in June  (Read 3400 times)

Iceland Bound in June
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:44:03 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The area near Selfoss, just to the east of Rekjavick, is where most day-trippers go. Iceland is small country, and depending on how much you want to drive you can cover a lot of territory.

You should be aware though that some of the best areas for photography are found on unpaved roads. As long as it's not too wet you'll be ok with a 2WD car, but if it's raining or has been raining and the river fords are high, stick to pavement.

Pick up an Iceland guide book at any travel section of a major bookstore. The tours within a days drive of Rekjavick are well described.

But, I have to ask, why limit yourself to day trips out of Rekjavick? Head east along Hwy 1 toward Hofn. There are spectacular waterfalls, ice fields, glaciers, puffin cliffs and more. You'll also be leaving 90% of the tourists behind.

Michael[/font]

ryssby

Iceland Bound in June
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 12:08:57 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm travelling to Iceland 6/1 to 6/5 of this year on Icelandic Air from NYC. I've been to Iceland 3 times before, all of which occurred in winter as a short stopover to & from Europe.

I've always wanted to go back in the spring to take advantage of the longer days. I located this web site by a Google search and found the images posted here quite interesting.

I will have a rented car (not 4x4) and plan on travelling on day trips out of Reykjavik.

If anyone has suggestions for locations nearby Reykjavik I would be happy to hear about.

Regards,
Robert Swanson
Swanson Lacrosse Photos

[/font]

wsymington

• http://www.northskies.com
Iceland Bound in June
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:52:21 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can´t disagree with anything that Michael has said, but in my now lengthy experience of visiting/working/holidaying up there, there is very little need for a 4x4 unless you want to cross the hinterland. I have been on terrible roads, many times, with my company´s Toyota Corolla (a machine I have growing respect for!) so you should do just fine. Just don´t push your luck  - it can be a long wait for help if you ground the car.

The south coast, as Michael says, is stunning. As you will not be running short of daylight on your trip (I was there last week - it got dark-ish at about 2300hrs) you can stay out as long as you like before heading back to Reykjavík for metropolitan comforts. Besides, you will find it a bit tricky finding hotel/B&B accomodation anywhere by now.

Go as far as Vík í Myrdal (2 1/2 hours drive) on the south coast and you will get a fairly representative idea of what you will see all along the coast. Amazing black sand beaches, ice caps, sheep, waterfalls bla bla. The glacial lagoon is too far to go on a day trip from Reykjavík - but is unforgettable if attempted.

Go north from Rvk to Stýkkisholmur on the Snæfellsnes peninsula (again, about 2 1/2 hours) for more dramatic scenery, thousands of islands and skerries on Breiðafjörður (Broad Fjord), extinct volcano, more sheep.

One drive you can do is to go to Landmannalaugar, a hot spring some way into the interior of the country which is in the most astonishing volcanic scenery. The principal route there is fine for a 2WD, except you´ll have to walk the last 200 yards or so where there is a stream to ford. I guess this is 4 hours from Reykjavík, is off the south coast drive so you can combine it with something else. Highly recommended.

Have a good trip,

Bill[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up