Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What replaced the Nikon D80?going Canon-->Nikon  (Read 8531 times)

Snook

What replaced the Nikon D80?going Canon-->Nikon
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:04:37 am »

Hey Guys, I have been a canon user for over 10 years but like the colors for prosumer shots from my friends Nikon cameras...:+] Grass always looks greener on the other side..LOL
My wife wants to get a prosumer camera and it seems Nikon has a better line up of cameras for this need.
Our friends have a Nikon D80 and we love the colors but feel it maybe be a little old and I was wondering what the replacement camera was for it as I am sure the newer cameras have better iso/asa capabilities.
Can any body suggest a good buy for me?
I am looking for something used with a good zoom lens which a any suggestions for that would be great aswell.
I would really appreciate any help. I am looking to spend around 700.00 - 1000.00 for a good kit, camera, lens, etc...
Thanks all
Snook

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:53:25 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Hey Guys, I have been a canon user for over 10 years but like the colors for prosumer shots from my friends Nikon cameras...:+] Grass always looks greener on the other side..LOL
My wife wants to get a prosumer camera and it seems Nikon has a better line up of cameras for this need.
Our friends have a Nikon D80 and we love the colors but feel it maybe be a little old and I was wondering what the replacement camera was for it as I am sure the newer cameras have better iso/asa capabilities.
Can any body suggest a good buy for me?
I am looking for something used with a good zoom lens which a any suggestions for that would be great aswell.
I would really appreciate any help. I am looking to spend around 700.00 - 1000.00 for a good kit, camera, lens, etc...
Thanks all
Snook

I believe the D90 is the "replacement" for the D80.

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:44:58 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
And the D5000 is one step down from the D90. It is reviewed by Thom Hogan.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:12:16 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit

Yep, the D90 is supposed to have a much more reliable metering and significantly higher DR and higher ISO image quality. Video is there too, but not that great I hear.

Cheers,
Bernard

Vautour

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:36:07 am »

The D90 used is quite expensive, at least here in Germany. You might save 100€ at the most (I've followed some auctions on eBay). The D80 is much cheaper but relatively rare here. From an image quality point I'd say it's almost equal to the 40D in lower iso regions, at least to my eyes (my wife's cousin has a D80 (and, byt the way, didn't find enough in the D90 compared to his D80 to want to upgrade (is looking at the D300(s) though)) and my father a 40D).
The Nikon 16-85mm is quite a nice lens which features image stabilization. Not terribly fast though (starts at f3.5 at the wide end) and almost as expensive as a used D80. Haven't seen that one used on eBay yet, which might be a compliment to the lense and customer satisfaction, I guess.
The D90 is a very fine camera (I'm not interested in the video part) and beats the D80 in higher isos and has 2 megapixels more resolution. Metering and autofocus system is the same as far as I know which means not that of the professional models (including the D300).

schrodingerscat

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »

If by "prosumer" you mean ruggedness and performance, the D300 would be the place to start.

DanielStone

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:33:37 am »

do you want video?

then the D5000, or, If you're willing to spend more(much) then you have the D300s.

otherwise, the D90's a great little camera, and the successor to the D80, which was great as well! never owned either, but used all 4. all great cameras. the D90 and D300s are by far the best in terms of "ruggedness" if you ask me.

grab a 50mm 1.8D, or if you're a little more spendy, the 1.4G(no aperture ring). that paired with the kit 18-55VR lens makes a nice little combo, especially for the wife. That's what I'd tell my mum to buy if she was in your shoes. Since I'm not married, I used my mum as a ref. . I'm 21....

take here with you, touch em', grope em'(sorry, had to  ), find out which one suits BOTH of you the best, or whoever the primary user will be...

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up