Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: developing color negs and/or transparancies at home  (Read 5229 times)

harlemshooter

developing color negs and/or transparancies at home
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »

how many do this?  are there any good tutorials on setting up one's own "lab?"  i read on largeformatphotography that sensitization is a big problem.

DanielStone

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:58 pm »

howdy!

you might want to waddle over to www.apug.org

its a film-discussion only forum. no digi talk. I'm over there, and frequent it quite regularly.

I don't want this to go stale, and I'd like to see you get the info you need. Go to APUG. you'll get the answers in no time flat.

blessings,

Dan

Greg Campbell

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:47 am »

Quote from: harlemshooter
how many do this?  are there any good tutorials on setting up one's own "lab?"  i read on largeformatphotography that sensitization is a big problem.

I'm doing 220 and 35mm E-6 using daylight roll tanks.  The Kodak "5 liter" kit produces great results, at significantly less expense than commercial labs.
You don't really need a 'lab,' just a bunch of beakers and a large tray full of moving, temperature controlled water.  You can go with a dedicated, electronically controlled thermostat driven system, or kludge together something using a fountain pump, manually adding hot water to the bath as necessary.    

As suggested, APUG will deliver plenty of specific advice (and opinions!).    

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:55:22 pm »

In my experience, color neg is fairly straightforward. You need a water bath approximating 100-F, and the right chemistry, otherwise it's no different than b+w neg. (My experience was about 10,000 rolls of color neg developed in small tanks in nine years as an AP stringer. I could soup film while half drunk and three quarters asleep.) I did try slide film once or twice, but of course it's a little more particular about the details like exact times and temps.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

cyberean

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:33:16 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
I could soup film while half drunk and three quarters asleep.) I did try slide film once or twice, but of course it's a little more particular about the details like exact times and temps.
the trick with slide film is being only a quarter drunk and no more than a third asleep ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up