Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!  (Read 4004 times)

jwlimages

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:11:01 am »

I have been using LR since the first beta, am quite comfortable with v.2, but am really having a heck of a time with v.3 Beta. Yes, I assume since it's beta it hasn't been fully optimized, but this just doesn't seem right:

Installed it on my MacBook Core Duo 2.4GHz, with 4GB RAM, made a small test catalog on an external FW800 drive, and I am finding it almost unusable - extremely long delays to update preview image, sometimes with every single adjustment in Develop module, the secondary screen (Loupe view) can take 20-30 seconds to update. And forget going to 1:1 view - the little "Loading" window sits there for  literally minutes! - sometimes it never updates until I click out of 1:1 view, then click back to it. Makes it impossible to do basic things like compare the old & new rendering engines.

This is a tiny test catalog, about #70 images (Canon 5D MkII Raws), and running the "Generate 1:1 Previews" command makes no difference. LR v2 on the same setup is downright zippy - even with my main 10K-image catalog.

I haven't seen other reports of this - is it just me, or does everyone accept this non-performance as just part of a beta release? I do have "write metadata changes to XMP files automatically" checked - could this be a fatal error in the beta? Or is there something else I should be doing that I've overlooked?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

francois

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:24 am »

John,
I have installed the beta version on a identical Mac (MBP 2.4 with 6GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm HD). LR 3B is very fast, at least its user interface. The catalog I'm using is around 5000 images, all 1Ds Mark 3 and around 500 or 600 Panasonic RAW files.
The only significant difference is that I have "write metadata changes to XMP files automatically" unchecked.

I would try to leave "write metadata changes to XMP files automatically" unchecked and see what impact it has on speed. Other than that, try to delete LR3 preferecens, rebuild/optimize the catalog, redo the 1:1 previews, check the amount of Camera Raw cache.

Keep us posted and good luck.

PS: you might also want to submit your question on Adobe Beta forum.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:19:47 am by francois »
Francois

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:11 am »

Hi,

I have run quite a lot of testing on LR3 Beta and not seen any problems with performance. I'll check a bit more. May be a good idea to check your activity monitor and check CPU utilisation amd memory usage.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: jwlimages
I have been using LR since the first beta, am quite comfortable with v.2, but am really having a heck of a time with v.3 Beta. Yes, I assume since it's beta it hasn't been fully optimized, but this just doesn't seem right:

Installed it on my MacBook Core Duo 2.4GHz, with 4GB RAM, made a small test catalog on an external FW800 drive, and I am finding it almost unusable - extremely long delays to update preview image, sometimes with every single adjustment in Develop module, the secondary screen (Loupe view) can take 20-30 seconds to update. And forget going to 1:1 view - the little "Loading" window sits there for  literally minutes! - sometimes it never updates until I click out of 1:1 view, then click back to it. Makes it impossible to do basic things like compare the old & new rendering engines.

This is a tiny test catalog, about #70 images (Canon 5D MkII Raws), and running the "Generate 1:1 Previews" command makes no difference. LR v2 on the same setup is downright zippy - even with my main 10K-image catalog.

I haven't seen other reports of this - is it just me, or does everyone accept this non-performance as just part of a beta release? I do have "write metadata changes to XMP files automatically" checked - could this be a fatal error in the beta? Or is there something else I should be doing that I've overlooked?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Erik Kaffehr

jwlimages

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »

Quote from: francois
I would try to leave "write metadata changes to XMP files automatically" unchecked and see what impact it has on speed. Other than that, try to delete LR3 preferecens, rebuild/optimize the catalog, redo the 1:1 previews, check the amount of Camera Raw cache.

Francois & Erik,

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to 'debug' this further. I did notice Camera Raw cache is at (default?) 1 GB. Will try several things including upping that figure.

But I sure hope the final release doesn't force me to uncheck the "write changes... automatically" feature - would hate to be dependent on remembering to save manually every time, especially since I mirror the main catalog between home & studio machines.

Regards,

John

smahn

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »

Is it possible you're running low on hard drive space?

jwlimages

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:32:58 pm »

Quote from: smahn
Is it possible you're running low on hard drive space?

- Nope: 176GB free on MacBook internal, about half the 750GB external is free space.

Thanks anyway. I have more testing to do this afternoon, so will try to update when something's new...

John

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »

Hi!

I did some more checking on LR3Beta. Reading a 24.5 Mbyte image seems to take about 4 seconds on my MacPro in LR2 and I have seen that it can take much longer in LR3Beta. I still have the general impression that LR3Beta works fine, but I have seen at least a couple of times it was waiting long for a 1:1 size image. My MacPro has 16 GByte memory and 2 TByte HD so I don't think it was starved for resources.

The Mac Pro seems to work on four images at a time so throughput seems to be around 1s/image.

Best regards
Erik

- Nope: 176GB free on MacBook internal, about half the 750GB external is free space.

Thanks anyway. I have more testing to do this afternoon, so will try to update when something's new...

John
Erik Kaffehr

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 05:28:53 pm »

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

check out this short post on the adobe lrbeta3 forum...Ian lyons says this is a known bug...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/535092?tstart=30

jwlimages

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
I did some more checking on LR3Beta. Reading a 24.5 Mbyte image seems to take about 4 seconds on my MacPro in LR2 and I have seen that it can take much longer in LR3Beta. I still have the general impression that LR3Beta works fine, but I have seen at least a couple of times it was waiting long for a 1:1 size image. My MacPro has 16 GByte memory and 2 TByte HD so I don't think it was starved for resources.

Thanks for this, Erik.

I had some time, so I optimized the catalog, rebuilt previews (again), unchecked the "write changes ... automatically", upped the Camera Raw cache to 2GB:
No significant change - still waiting, sometimes for minutes! for the display to update.

Then I noticed that the primary display (the one with the menu bar, where the Develop module, e.g., opens) actually updates much quicker. Still not exactly fast, but much better performance than the secondary display window. Unfortunately, the "secondary display" is the (better quality) external monitor - though I use the MacBook's screen as the "primary" one with menu bars, etc., just like with Photoshop, it's not workable to make color critical judgments on the laptop screen.

Unless something changes, I guess I'll have to drag the whole LightRoom app. window onto my external display, do all corrections there, & only use the secondary display window to show a grid layout on the MacBook screen. LR v2 offers the luxury of using the external monitor to display an image full screen, but at least for now, that's out for v3.

I just hope this isn't permanent.

John

jwlimages

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

Quote from: momo2
check out this short post on the adobe lrbeta3 forum...Ian lyons says this is a known bug...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/535092?tstart=30

Just saw this, and it seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing.

Thank you!

francois

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:15 am »

Just saw this, and it seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing.

Thank you!
If it's a known bug then it'll be corrected in the final version. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until its release.
When I'm working with an external display attached to my MacBook, the external is the "main" display, that's probably why I didn't experience performance problems.
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:32:44 am »

Quote from: francois
If it's a known bug then it'll be corrected in the final version. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until its release.
When I'm working with an external display attached to my MacBook, the external is the "main" display, that's probably why I didn't experience performance problems.

I'm kinda hoping they fix this sooner and release a beta 3.1...ok, I'm dreaming, but waiting till late april/may seems a long time...i like to keep the main window on the laptop and use the large display for the big images...except when I'm importing and keywording, then I use the main display window on the large monitor...anyway, for the price, it's hard to complain  

francois

LR Beta 3 - so slowwwww!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:52:55 am »

Quote from: momo2
I'm kinda hoping they fix this sooner and release a beta 3.1...ok, I'm dreaming, but waiting till late april/may seems a long time...i like to keep the main window on the laptop and use the large display for the big images...except when I'm importing and keywording, then I use the main display window on the large monitor...anyway, for the price, it's hard to complain  
I also wish that they correct some bugs but I wouldn't bet anything on it… I'm already happy that we have access to a very good beta version…

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up