Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spyder 3 Elite - what am I doing wrong?  (Read 4317 times)

Tom H.

Spyder 3 Elite - what am I doing wrong?
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:19:04 am »

I'm not sure anyone else has experienced this and I'll do my best to describe the issue.

After calibrating my monitor there is more shadow detail in all the test pictures they supply at the end of the calibration process process, but when I open up my photos in an image editor like DXO or Photoshop the shadow details don't transition smoothly. They look blocky and ramp in an unsmooth manner. They almost look posterized with unnatural colour.

While the colour balance seems fine, I can't seem to get the shadows to a point where they look natural.

Monitor is an older IMB P260 (but still in good shape and crisp and clear)
Video card NVidia 9500GT
XP operating system

Monitor is reset to factory default
working toward 6500K 2.2 gamma
Adobe gamma disabled
video card driver, all adjustments are neutral

During calibration I leave the black point and white points alone. I do not touch brightness or contrast from factory setting. All the ramped grey scale blocks in the visual guide (at left of screen) look good, from white to black and every step along the way. Color is adjusted via red blue and green, guns separately.
It does a grey scale calibration as well. I ask for certification, and ambient light level compensation is off.

Should I try calibrating with a predefined black point level and white point level, instead of the visual guide?
If so, what should the values be?
Any light anyone can shed on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33:56 am »

Quote from: Tom H.
Monitor is an older IMB P260 (but still in good shape and crisp and clear)
An IBM P260 CRT monitor? I don't want to go into all the specifics of CRT calibration but I'll summarize by saying that unlike LCD displays, you'll need to adjust your hardware controls to get the desired black and white points. Unlike an LCD you'll need to use brightness to for the Black density and Contrast for White luminance. Various RGB settings can effect both as well. With the current settings your video card LUT is trying really hard to get a good black and that's why you are seeing posterization in the shadows.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:25 am »

If your display is around three years old or older and has been used quite steadily, it's quite likely that it's not amenable to contemporary standards and techniquues of calibration and profiling.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:47:58 pm »

Amen to both of the above remarks, from the little I've learned and the many hours spent in front of my old CRT :
- yes you'll need to tweak the brightness (and maybe contrast, though that's often advised against) at the calibration stage to reach a decent white point (better to leave the black points where it stands),
- and older CRTs have a tendency to block shadows that requires the profile/LUT to do a heavy "shadow lighting" to bring the tone curve back to something normal, very susceptible to bring posterization as the data is 8bits anywhere along the pipeline. Don't try the gamma options that will further lighten the shadows like L*, for the same reason.
Try to find some black step wedges intended for monitor calibration (Norman Koren has a simple one covering gamma and black level, entire page worth reading, and AardenburgI&A (aka MHMG here) has a PSD file for that). I wouldn't be that surprised if without calibration, you had a way low black level? I got such a CRT at home...

Bottom line : with a CRT, the more you tweak the OSD settings to get a good calibration (white point, gamma and tone curve), the less has to be made by the profile and the more precise the profile ends.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Tom H.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »

It would seem that everyone is saying the same thing .... walk away from the 80lbs of CRT ... just walk away ...

Which could start a whole new thread, which wide gamut LCD to buy?

HP or Dell?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:30 pm »

Perhaps neither. There has been thread after thread in this discussion forum about displays - I'd recommend you do some research about what's been said already, to help formulate in your own mind what features and specs you should look for, and which models have what you'd want.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up