Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite papers???  (Read 3765 times)

fortisi876

Favorite papers???
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »

Hello!

I'm new to the site, my recently acquired Epson 3800 and pigment inks altogether. I did a few searches but haven't really found any clear cut winners where ppl discuss their favorite choice of papers for a variety of printing jobs. So here's my question/plea, if you don't mind sharing I'd love to hear what your favorite papers are, for what and why???

Particularly interested in hearing clearcut faves for the best Gloss, Matte and B&W papers BUT would also like to learn more about other varieties I keep hearing about like Epson's Exhibition Fiber, Ilford's GFS and various Luster papers......embarrassingly, I don't know what category those papers fall into so if someone has the patience to learn me or a link where I can read up on it it'd be much appreciated.

TY in advance!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Favorite papers???
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »

Quote from: fortisi876
Hello!

I'm new to the site, my recently acquired Epson 3800 and pigment inks altogether. I did a few searches but haven't really found any clear cut winners where ppl discuss their favorite choice of papers for a variety of printing jobs. So here's my question/plea, if you don't mind sharing I'd love to hear what your favorite papers are, for what and why???

Particularly interested in hearing clearcut faves for the best Gloss, Matte and B&W papers BUT would also like to learn more about other varieties I keep hearing about like Epson's Exhibition Fiber, Ilford's GFS and various Luster papers......embarrassingly, I don't know what category those papers fall into so if someone has the patience to learn me or a link where I can read up on it it'd be much appreciated.

TY in advance!

Asking for people's favourite papers is kind of akin to asking what is their favourite food - you are going to get as many different answers as people you ask. So, there is never going to be a clear cut winner.

With that caveat.. my current favourites are Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk - both are semi-gloss baryta fibre based papers. I am also quite partial to Hahnemuhle's Museum Etching (matt paper).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:18:25 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Favorite papers???
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »

I wtote about this recently on my blog:

http://www.michaelsebastian.com/blog/?p=1663

I discussed only photo-black ink papers; I'm sure someone will chime in with advice on fine art matte papers.

When I used to print on matte papers, I liked Moab Entrada and Arches (now Canson) Infinity best of all. Not sure what name the Moab is sold under these days.  

Hope you find it helpful.
michael sebast

Gemmtech

Favorite papers???
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Asking for people's favourite papers is kind of akin to asking what is their favourite food - you are going to get as many different answers as people you ask. So, there is never going to be a clear cut winner.

With that caveat.. my current favourites are Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk - both are semi-gloss baryta fibre based papers. I am also quite partial to Hahnemuhle's Museum Etching (matt paper).

This really says it all in a nutshell.  For instance, a lot of people love Epson Exhibition Fiber, I now don't really care for it.  I absolutely love Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  For B&W it's on the warm side, but it's very nice, it's not a white white but as MR says, whatever white you are accustomed to is what is white!  I agree with that.  I also like Epson Premium Luster, great surface, but I wish it had the weight of the Ilford or the EEF.  As stated above do you like steak or lobster, Mercedes or BMW, Chevy or Ford, The Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental?  You get the picture!  

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
Favorite papers???
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:11:27 pm »

Order some sample packs.

Howard

fortisi876

Favorite papers???
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »

I understand opinions vary and I'm ok with what might be one person's favorite may not be the other's but it would still give me some insight on what ppl are using out there, of which I have none.
My exposure to quality papers are limited and primarily for dye ink printers so my knowledge is like.......nada.......with this new (to me) printer. I don't want to waste money testing papers that no one on these forums would have considered for even a second, hence the inquiry.

Thank you for all the replies!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:34:16 pm by fortisi876 »

Marlyn

Favorite papers???
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:04:26 am »

Addicted to Epson Exhibition  (actually called Traditional Photo Paper here),   Also use Ilford Gold fibre Silk.
Still havn't found a Matt paper I like.

Still, print room is a bombsite at present, need to do more tests when renovations are complete !

feethea

Favorite papers???
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 06:04:12 am »

Quote from: Marlyn
Addicted to Epson Exhibition  (actually called Traditional Photo Paper here),   Also use Ilford Gold fibre Silk.
Still havn't found a Matt paper I like.

Still, print room is a bombsite at present, need to do more tests when renovations are complete !

Hi,
I'm with Howard on this topic - order some sample sheets and experiment.

I've just bought the Epson 3880 and although very pleased with my 'traditional' choice of paper (Epson Premium Glossy) from my 2400 days, I've just tried their Premium Lustre - very nice, and have just ordered three Hahnemuhle sample packs covering their entire range for a very small amount of my hard earned cash. Why Hahnemuhle? Well because I've heard a lot about them on this and other sites and they have just released ICC profiles for the 3880. I am desperate to try Ilford GFS and am waiting for them to produce the appropriate ICC profiles.

As Michael Reichman says on Camera to Print video 3, one of the most exciting things about the digital era is the plethora of paper manufacturers, and the equally numerous types of paper each manufacturer produces. So go ahead and experiment? As a former British Prime Minister once said "You've never had it so good!".

Good luck,
Barry

Sven W

Favorite papers???
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:49 am »

Exactly!
The freedom to make the last expression of an image with the choice of paper/media !
In that way I have many favourites:

Epson Premium series
Epson "new" Cold Press
Epson Exhibition/Traditional
Harman Baryt
Innova Smooth/Texture Cotton
Innova Fiba WarmTone
Crane Canvas

+ polyester banner and cotton textile.

...and so on.
Stockholm, Sweden

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Favorite papers???
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »

I understand opinions vary and I'm ok with what might be one person's favorite may not be the other's but it would still give me some insight on what ppl are using out there, of which I have none.
My exposure to quality papers are limited and primarily for dye ink printers so my knowledge is like.......nada.......with this new (to me) printer. I don't want to waste money testing papers that no one on these forums would have considered for even a second, hence the inquiry.

Thank you for all the replies!

Are you making excellent prints on whatever paper you are using now? Then trying new papers makes sense. If you have not mastered printing on one basic paper, then I don;t think it's a good idea to start experimenting with other papers. Hone your printing skills first, then you'll be able to really get the best out of new papers. For a basic paper, I think Epson Premium Luster is hard to beat, and it's not that expensive.

fortisi876

Favorite papers???
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:13:33 pm »

Do I dare admit this on this site?  

The only paper I've run through the 3800 as of yet is the infamous Costco paper, there I said it!
And honestly, I'm somewhat disappointed with the lack of gloss but that aside this printer kicks butt! I'm hoping to find a gloss paper that gives better results than what I got with the kirkland.

I have some left over Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss/Pearl that I was looking forward to running through there but as luck would have it, it's for dye ink only. I was very pleased with both papers on my i9900 but I'm looking forward to experimenting with different papers with the 3800.

Thnx again for all who are sharing!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:14:05 pm by fortisi876 »

Robcat

Favorite papers???
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:27:54 pm »

Do I dare admit this on this site?  

The only paper I've run through the 3800 as of yet is the infamous Costco paper, there I said it!
And honestly, I'm somewhat disappointed with the lack of gloss but that aside this printer kicks butt! I'm hoping to find a gloss paper that gives better results than what I got with the kirkland.

I have some left over Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss/Pearl that I was looking forward to running through there but as luck would have it, it's for dye ink only. I was very pleased with both papers on my i9900 but I'm looking forward to experimenting with different papers with the 3800.

Thnx again for all who are sharing!
Of course you can admit your current paper. Most of us don't bite  
To throw in my 2 cents, I'm really quite fond of Harman gloss FB Al baryta as it lacks the tooth of many of the other baryta papers (except the Epson exhibition fiber, w. is a bit less glossy). It's a bit delicate, but you're not going to be throwing your fine prints loose in your briefcase anyway
Because it's difficult to judge results on a paper that is not properly dialed in (good profile, soft proofing) your first trial may not accurately reflect a paper's capability. It might help you to see some good prints by others who have worked up a given paper properly. Perhaps you know some local photographers or photo groups that will share? Then look and see what you do and don't respond to in regards to texture, weight, gloss, warmth, saturation, depth, etc.

fortisi876

Favorite papers???
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:44:25 pm »

I would like to give a huge THANKS to Randy Carone from 'Shades of Paper' for contacting me via PM offering to send me various sample sheets including Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308, Ilford Smooth G/P and an Epson sample pack and their sample guide.

THANK YOU Randy!

I look forward to trying these out but wanna make sure I pick the right subject for comparisons sake.    I think like the sample guide the best, seeing 20 different types of paper side x side is a nice luxury.

I look forward to doing business with Randy in the future.....as soon as I find my favorites.

As a side note, how do you know which side to print on with the Photo Rag 308, or is it dbl sided?  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:55:52 pm by fortisi876 »

fortisi876

Favorite papers???
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:11 pm »

Sorry for the dbl post.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:52:28 pm by fortisi876 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up