Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Itchy Fingers,  (Read 5856 times)

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:48:08 am »

Hi Michael and Chris

Okay, let's begin with declaring belief in your devine right as kings.

But, don't you think you may possibly be erring on the side of too much caution? Closing two topics so quickly might turn out to be somewhat counterproductive, you know; if you drive away anything approaching later than late teen conversation you might well distance people with worthwhile points of view to express. Should a real imaginary line be crossed, you can always delete the offending post and life will continue as before...

There's something rather disappointing in having things snuffed out just when they become interesting. For example, I had never heard of that particular acronym; now I have, and it does no harm to learn something new, even at my venerable age! (That assumes, of course, that I can find something old to jettison from the files in order to accommodate the new information; we get limited in capacity as we age. Trouble is, another fact of life is that the moment we dump something, the very next day we suddenly discover a need for it.)

Your ship!

Rob C

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »

My thoughts on receiving complaints (ie Report to Moderator) about a thread are:

- Is it adding anything of value to this _photographic_ Forum?
- Having already offended at least one person, is it likely to offend others?
- Is it likely to be inflammatory?

Having answered those questions, I may close or delete.
The advantages of simply closing are that the thread stands and that anyone can choose to restart it...

Chris

John Camp

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:20:07 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
There's something rather disappointing in having things snuffed out just when they become interesting.
Rob C

Yeah! We were just about to start slagging Schewe and the French. Anytime's a good time for that, I sez.

JC

[Sarcasm alert for the humor impaired.]

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 01:25:02 pm »

Quote from: John Camp
Yeah! We were just about to start slagging Schewe and the French. Anytime's a good time for that, I sez.

JC

[Sarcasm alert for the humor impaired.]

Oui!

Rob C

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:28:02 pm »

Quote from: ChrisSand
My thoughts on receiving complaints (ie Report to Moderator) about a thread are:

- Is it adding anything of value to this _photographic_ Forum?
- Having already offended at least one person, is it likely to offend others?
- Is it likely to be inflammatory?

Having answered those questions, I may close or delete.
The advantages of simply closing are that the thread stands and that anyone can choose to restart it...

Chris

Chris

I went out and bought some art paints today so you can tell I'm a bit disoriented at the moment. Are you saying you actually received a complaint about the thread(s) as it were?

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:41:48 pm »

... There's something rather disappointing in having things snuffed out just when they become interesting....
Exactly... and right when we were about to embark on yet another "freedom-fries" war!  

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:42 pm »

Are you saying you actually received a complaint about the thread as it were?
Yes

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 03:31:27 am »

Yes

In that case - I guess you had no option. Sorry I mentioned it.

Rob C

stamper

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:04:24 am »

Yes

How do you know if a complaint is valid? If someone feels insulted, maligned or defamed by a poster do you automatically believe them? I was a moderator of a forum for over two years and taking complaints at face value is extremely difficult. The complaint could be malicious and if the moderator is seen as a "soft touch" then you will be getting a lot of complaints from posters trying to get at other posters? You have a very difficult job akin to walking a tightrope.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 09:07:51 am »

Quote from: stamper
How do you know if a complaint is valid? If someone feels insulted, maligned or defamed by a poster do you automatically believe them? I was a moderator of a forum for over two years and taking complaints at face value is extremely difficult. The complaint could be malicious and if the moderator is seen as a "soft touch" then you will be getting a lot of complaints from posters trying to get at other posters?...
I take your point. But as a matter of fact, the complaint was from a regular and valuable contributor.
Perhaps a measure of the maturity of this Board - a fairly large and diverse community - is that we get very few complaints.
And yes, there have been complaints on which no action was taken  

Chris

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:55:58 am »

Chris

I'm not the sharpest internet knife in the drawer, so perhaps the answers to my next couple of questions/suggestions already exist and I simply can't find them because I don't know how or where to look.

Q 1.  If a person makes a complaint, is that complaint registered in a manner visible to the rest of the forum members?

Q 2.  Taking stampers's point, which was semi-formulating in my mind before I returned here and read his input, would it not be a reasonable idea for two things to happen: a. the offended person should post and indicate that a complaint has been lodged, within the thread; b. he should explain where he finds offence.

This would achieve several things, not least amongst which, one would know with which people one can be light-hearted, and also those with whom it is better not to jest. Much like real life, in other words, with the advantage that awkwardness might be prevented.

I don't imagine any here are unmindful of the value of the site to each of us; however, there is an unpleasant undercurrent stirring when unknown persons seem able to manipulate life for others under a cloak of anonymity. Disclosure (here as in politics), would, of course, in no way prevent the Administration from doing what it felt to be in the best interests of LuLa and might encourage people to think a little more deeply before crying foul!

Rob C

DarkPenguin

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »

Jesus tap dancing christ

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 02:27:25 pm »

Tap d dee tap-tap TAP
Q 1.  If a person makes a complaint, is that complaint registered in a manner visible to the rest of the forum members?
No. Not in a 'Report this Post to Moderator'

Q 2.  ...would it not be a reasonable idea for two things to happen: a. the offended person should post and indicate that a complaint has been lodged, within the thread; b. he should explain where he finds offence.
If the poster making the complaint wishes to do so - of course he or she is free to do just that.

...however, there is an unpleasant undercurrent stirring when unknown persons seem able to manipulate life for others under a cloak of anonymity. Disclosure (here as in politics), would, of course, in no way prevent the Administration from doing what it felt to be in the best interests of LuLa and might encourage people to think a little more deeply before crying foul!
There is no manipulation of others lives here of which I am aware!  
Wouldn't life be just grand if everyone thought a little more before committing their reactions to voice or print  

Chris

[THINKS:] maybe I should close this one out too...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:29:18 pm by ChrisSand »

Rob C

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

Tap d dee tap-tap TAPNo. Not in a 'Report this Post to Moderator'

If the poster making the complaint wishes to do so - of course he or she is free to do just that.

There is no manipulation of others lives here of which I am aware!  
Wouldn't life be just grand if everyone thought a little more before committing their reactions to voice or print  

Chris

[THINKS:] maybe I should close this one out too...

Well, Chris, I'd have thought that an anonymous reader calling time on a conversation simply because he/she doesn't like it is close to manipulation? Maybe not.

"Jesus tap dancing christ"

Now that's a tough one, Mr P; this is a photo-forum so there must be a connection; lemme guess: Fred Astaire? Funny face? Richard Avedon?

;-)

Rob C

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 03:12:09 pm »

...I'd have thought that an anonymous reader calling time on a conversation simply because he/she doesn't like it is close to manipulation? Maybe not.
That person is not anonymous to me and if I too decide that the time to draw a line under the conversation has arrived & my fingers are itchy, the line will be drawn.

DarkPenguin

Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:16 pm »

Well, Chris, I'd have thought that an anonymous reader calling time on a conversation simply because he/she doesn't like it is close to manipulation? Maybe not.

This seems to imply that the moderators have no free will.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 04:01:27 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
This seems to imply that the moderators have no free will.
...indeed and we have even less free time. Gentlemen, I am trying to get the finishing piece of LLVJ-19 complete and out the door before the cock crows. You will forgive me if I quit this discussion.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 05:07:29 pm »

...indeed and we have even less free time. Gentlemen, I am trying to get the finishing piece of LLVJ-19 complete and out the door before the cock crows. You will forgive me if I quit this discussion.

We all giving up.  19 is coming, so this is the end
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 05:51:10 pm »

... You will forgive me if I quit this discussion...
Hurrrrray! Freedom at last! When the cat's away, the mice will play!

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that my post:

- Is NOT adding anything of value to this photographic Forum
- has probably already offended at least one person, and is likely to offend others
- Is quite possibly inflammatory at least to someone

However, just could not resist it (being silly, that is)  

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Itchy Fingers,
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »

and Blas - you're baaaad. No more VJs for you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up