Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White  (Read 3072 times)

Ken Luria

• http://
Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:49:12 pm »

The weather was poor when I walked down to China Beach near the Sea Cliff section of San Francisco. So I converted the color version and processed as B&W.

CORRECTED: The horizon was off (0.94º) and the large boulder needed to be a bit lighter.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:37:31 pm by Ken Luria »
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Nikon: D300 • 28-70/2.8 • 70-300VR • 18-200 VR • 12-24/4 • 35/2.0 • Gitzo 1345 • RRS BH-55

Roger Calixto

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 06:51:21 am »

Niice shot. I like the conversion a lot. I do find the black boulder on the right to be distracting though, maybe lighten it up to balance with the land on the left would be my suggestion.

my $0.02
kt
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:37:54 am »

Quote from: kingtutt
Niice shot. I like the conversion a lot. I do find the black boulder on the right to be distracting though, maybe lighten it up to balance with the land on the left would be my suggestion.

my $0.02
kt
I very fine photo but I agree with you. The dark rock is a bit too distracting. I also find that the horizon is not level but that's nitpicking.
Francois

Ken Luria

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:20:15 pm »

Thank you francois and kt! The boulder could be lighter....and oops, I thought I had leveled but it is off by a lot! The horizon was off 0.94º.and the large boulder needed to be a bit lighter. I've fixed both.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:35:44 pm by Ken Luria »

Nikon: D300 • 28-70/2.8 • 70-300VR • 18-200 VR • 12-24/4 • 35/2.0 • Gitzo 1345 • RRS BH-55

coles

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:09:08 am »

Hi,
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the dark boulder is fine as is, and give good contrast to the rest of the scene. If it were lightened to match the left side, the whole photo would suddenly lack anything interesting and would seem rather flat.

It's fine as-is.

And by the way, the horizon absolutely IS level. You must be looking the bridge or something else.
Scott
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:10:21 am by coles »

francois

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:03 am »

Quote from: coles
Hi,
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the dark boulder is fine as is, and give good contrast to the rest of the scene. If it were lightened to match the left side, the whole photo would suddenly lack anything interesting and would seem rather flat.

It's fine as-is.

And by the way, the horizon absolutely IS level. You must be looking the bridge or something else.
Scott
Scott
Ken leveled the horizon and lightened the dark boulder on the right  before you posted your comment. The original photo was replaced with the corrected version.
I agree with you, it is very nice now, no need to touch anyhting else.
Francois

Ken Luria

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40:05 pm »

Quote from: coles
Hi,

It's fine as-is.

Scott

Thank you for looking, and commenting, Scott!
My bad! I'm sorry; I should have included the original image with the corrected one so it would not be confusing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up