Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 profiles changing printer behavior  (Read 1365 times)

dgardn

i1 profiles changing printer behavior
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »

I just installed the new Epson driver for the 2200 on my i5 iMac 27" computer running Snow Leopard 10.6.2. As I work on a particular image, I will print 5.3" versions on 8.5x11 paper. This way I can print 4 separate versions on a page for comparison. The way I do this is to resize an image in photoshop by changing width and letting the resolution change to whatever it need to be. In other words, I do not resample.

- I choose PRINT to get the print preview dialog box. Here I see my 5.3" image in the middle of the 8.5x11 paper size.

- I uncheck "Center Image" and place the image in one of the corners.

- I click on PRINT and the printer does print.

Results: If I have placed a horizontal image in the upper left corner of the paper (landscape view), the image does print in the proper place. However once the image is printed, the printer head continues to progress back and forth across the paper as if it was printing, without laying down any ink. It does this until the full length of the paper is reached. The way the old driver worked in 10.5, was that once the image was printed, the printing would stop and the paper was ejected.

If the image is placed on either right side of the paper, the printer would feed the paper until the proper spot was reached, then start printing. With the new driver, the print head starts it's back and forth motion at the start of the paper without laying down ink until it gets to the proper place, then starts laying down ink. All of this causes printing time to double and needlessly requires the print head to run.

I have tracked this problem down to the i1 profile I created for the paper. So I tried re-measuring the targets in Snow Leopard using the newest Match 3 software (3.6.3) and built a new profile to test if there would be any change. Same results. I tested an Epson profile (created by Epson) and the result was as expected. I also tested another profile produced by Moab papers. The image would print, then the paper would spool out as it should. The i1 profile seems to be the problem.

I talked with Epson support and they of course feel this is a profile problem since theirs work properly.

I talked with x-rite (makers of the i1) and the feel it is a combination of Snow Leopard/printer driver problem.

However, the only difference in my workflow is changing from Epson to my custom profile.

I don't know how many people print this way, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen behavior anything like this?

Thanks,

David G

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:05 pm »

Quote from: dgardn
I have tracked this problem down to the i1 profile I created for the paper. So I tried re-measuring the targets in Snow Leopard using the newest Match 3 software (3.6.3) and built a new profile to test if there would be any change. Same results. I tested an Epson profile (created by Epson) and the result was as expected. I also tested another profile produced by Moab papers. The image would print, then the paper would spool out as it should. The i1 profile seems to be the problem.

I talked with Epson support and they of course feel this is a profile problem since theirs work properly.

I talked with x-rite (makers of the i1) and the feel it is a combination of Snow Leopard/printer driver problem.

However, the only difference in my workflow is changing from Epson to my custom profile.

I can't think of anyway a profile would be the cause of the symptoms you describe.  PS remaps the image colors into the selected output space, then sends the resulting data on to the printer.

What you describe is most likely a driver/OS issue, perhaps a corrupt preference file somewhere,  or a workflow glitch.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:28 pm »

I have the same combination of hardware/software:  2200/new drivers/i1match profile/SN 10.6.2 (on a MBP).

The printer advances the paper to the beginning of the image like it used to without the heads going back and forth, so I don't see what you do.

I've printed out of PS and LR; no difference.

Note: I use the USB port, not the firewire 400.  Not that that should make any difference...

Dave

dgardn

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »

Thanks for your replies. I will keep working on this problem and if anything is resolved, I'll report back.

Best,
David G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up