Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom -> Edit in Photoshop glitch [wrong RAW processing engine]  (Read 2984 times)

Hoang

• http://www.hxpham.com

I just noticed a bug in Lightroom 3 Beta that when you use "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS4" on a RAW file processed with the current Lightroom 3 Engine "Process Version 2 Latest", the image opens up in Photoshop CS4 with the CS4 ACR / LR2 engine rather than the new LR3 engine. I've checked all the settings in LR3 and Photoshop and cannot figure out how to fix this. It looks like the only way is to use LR3 to export a TIFF or JPG and then open that in Photoshop. Is this a glitch or was this done on purpose for some reason? It is a waste of time to have to convert RAWs to TIFFs before I can open them in Photoshop.
I found this out when I was trying to open an image needing lots of noise reduction. It was clear in comparing the noise in LR3 (Yes, I know I have to goto 100% view to see the noise reduction effect) to the splotchy mess in Photoshop.

Thanks,

[attachment=18315:lr3bug.JPG]

edit: I have also tried changing the file type in LR3 options from PSD to TIFF and it has no effect. Also, I am not importing as a smart object, so that is not the issue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:39:57 pm by Hoang »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Lightroom -> Edit in Photoshop glitch [wrong RAW processing engine]
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:08:45 am »

Quote from: Hoang
I just noticed a bug in Lightroom 3 Beta that when you use "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS4" on a RAW file processed with the current Lightroom 3 Engine "Process Version 2 Latest", the image opens up in Photoshop CS4 with the CS4 ACR / LR2 engine rather than the new LR3 engine. I've checked all the settings in LR3 and Photoshop and cannot figure out how to fix this. It looks like the only way is to use LR3 to export a TIFF or JPG and then open that in Photoshop. Is this a glitch or was this done on purpose for some reason? It is a waste of time to have to convert RAWs to TIFFs before I can open them in Photoshop.
I found this out when I was trying to open an image needing lots of noise reduction. It was clear in comparing the noise in LR3 (Yes, I know I have to goto 100% view to see the noise reduction effect) to the splotchy mess in Photoshop.

Thanks,

[attachment=18315:lr3bug.JPG]

edit: I have also tried changing the file type in LR3 options from PSD to TIFF and it has no effect. Also, I am not importing as a smart object, so that is not the issue.

Wouldn't this be because ACR doesn't have the LR3 Beta raw conversion engine yet ?

I assume if you make a TIFF and don't go via ACR but straight into CS4 it will have converted using the new engine (assuming you've set that correctly in LR 3 Beta)
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1]   Go Up