Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mossbrae Falls  (Read 12755 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:34 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
I like the compositions and the effect of the long exposures; there are a couple of falling horizons, but that is easy to fix.
However, there is something strange about the colors, I see oversaturated blues and greens, but no reds at all; is that intended?
I hear everyone talk about unlevel horizons. But, I must say that I don't feel it necessary to always line them up with the frame. I mean think of this ..... when you shoot a scene from a side angle, the horizon (or in this case, where the water's edge lines up with the river's edge) isn't aligned with the photo. Why do you find it necessary to line it up?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

bellimages

Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 10:14:18 am »

I like the compositions and the effect of the long exposures; there are a couple of falling horizons, but that is easy to fix.
However, there is something strange about the colors, I see oversaturated blues and greens, but no reds at all; is that intended?
I hear everyone talk about unlevel horizons. But, I must say that I don't feel it necessary to always line them up with the frame. I mean think of this ..... when you shoot a scene from a side angle, the horizon (or in this case, where the water's edge lines up with the river's edge) isn't aligned with the photo. Why do you find it necessary to line it up?

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 03:08:41 pm »

There are many times you want the horizon to be straight but when you are photographing a hillside or bank that isn't straight to your camera it will always fall away.  But sometimes its best to show the scene falling so the viewer see the water moving downhill.  

It really depends on your scene.  But I answered this in another response.  Tim

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 05:57:02 pm »

Quote from: bellimages

Yes, I see what you mean: sometimes, you have a perfectly level camera, but perspective makes the horizon look like falling. Technically, the photograph may be correct; but now think about the viewer: he may not have any visual reference to understand the problem, and from his point of view, the photograph looks unnatural; sometimes you have vertical elements, but sometimes you have nothing. In my humble opinion, the worst case happens when the horizon is just a bit tilted. What do we must do then? Sometimes I try to 'correct' the photograph, sometimes I left it as is; I wish I had the answer.

bellimages

Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »

Yes, I see what you mean: sometimes, you have a perfectly level camera, but perspective makes the horizon look like falling. Technically, the photograph may be correct; but now think about the viewer: he may not have any visual reference to understand the problem, and from his point of view, the photograph looks unnatural; sometimes you have vertical elements, but sometimes you have nothing. In my humble opinion, the worst case happens when the horizon is just a bit tilted. What do we must do then? Sometimes I try to 'correct' the photograph, sometimes I left it as is; I wish I had the answer.

Tim, I am planning a three week photo trip in the spring. It will take me from Death Valley to Mojave .... over to Big Sur and up to areas north of San Francisco. I have been to these areas several times, but never up in the area of mossbrae Falls. Would you say that it's worth the five hour car ride to get there from San Francisco? If so, what else would I find photographic in that area? If there are many more things to photograph, I might spend a few days up there.

Thanks

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »

I have been to these areas several times, but never up in the area of mossbrae Falls. Would you say that it's worth the five hour car ride to get there from San Francisco? If so, what else would I find photographic in that area? If there are many more things to photograph, I might spend a few days up there.

I haven't worked the area a great deal, but Hedge Creek Falls is quite nearby, about a tenth of a mile hike and the trailhead is just at an offramp from Southbound I-5, I can't drive by it without stoppind and taking the walk.  http://www.rockslidephoto.com/leaf.php?id=2240&gallery=9

Mt. Shasta is also nearby as well.
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:57 am »

Tim, I am planning a three week photo trip in the spring. It will take me from Death Valley to Mojave .... over to Big Sur and up to areas north of San Francisco. I have been to these areas several times, but never up in the area of mossbrae Falls. Would you say that it's worth the five hour car ride to get there from San Francisco? If so, what else would I find photographic in that area? If there are many more things to photograph, I might spend a few days up there.

Thanks

Jan, surely Tim should answer as he sees appropriate, but when one considers the 5-hour radius from San Francisco one meets the dilemma of choosing between the California Redwoods and the southern Oregon coast, weighed against a water fall in Dunsmuir, CA. Tim has captured the fall beautifully, and I hope to visit the site as well, as it's reasonably convenient to me, but if one is limited in time, there may be many other opportunities along highways 101 and 1, rather than Interstate 5. That said, Joe has offered another destination in Hedge Creek Falls to add bounty to an I-5 course. Of course, one could travel up I-5 to Dunsmuir and then cross over back to the coast via Highway 299 out of Redding, CA to spend time in both regions. Highway 299 has some beautiful views in its own right, so it's not as if it's wasted journey.

Your trip sounds fantastic, and I hope is very fulfilling.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:18:26 am by DFAllyn »

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

Jan, I can't really tell you whether you should visit Mossbrae, I never ever take suggestions from people on how great a location is until I see some kind of snapshots from the location.  I have gone back there many times, I believe it is an amazing location and the images sell very well.  But I cherish the time I get to shoot and make the most of it.  However the time your coming, with the grace fro the rain gods, when they come, if they come should make for some great spring images.  

But if let me know exactly when you are coming I could ask my friends and try to provide you updates as time gets closer.  However if you go to early to Mossbrae the moss will be brown, it does not go green until mid to late May.

I would be happy to help you as everybody's time is valuable and we mont to make the most out of the times we get to spend with nature.

Don't trust any GOV sites since they are always and never correct. I will also be checking for myself and post some new images very soon on spring in Cal that should help you.  But send me your dates, and lets chat either by phone 9098789214 gallery or tdwolcott on skype.  

Sorry had troubles with my computer and had to get them fixed.  Tim

Thanks

JamiePeters

Mossbrae Falls
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:10 am »

Are you willing to share the info with some of us others.  Since it sounds like you are going out to shoot for yourself, can I call you also.  Are you planning any workshop in the spring of california this year.  JP

Quote from: tim wolcott
Jan, I can't really tell you whether you should visit Mossbrae, I never ever take suggestions from people on how great a location is until I see some kind of snapshots from the location.  I have gone back there many times, I believe it is an amazing location and the images sell very well.  But I cherish the time I get to shoot and make the most of it.  However the time your coming, with the grace fro the rain gods, when they come, if they come should make for some great spring images.  

But if let me know exactly when you are coming I could ask my friends and try to provide you updates as time gets closer.  However if you go to early to Mossbrae the moss will be brown, it does not go green until mid to late May.

I would be happy to help you as everybody's time is valuable and we mont to make the most out of the times we get to spend with nature.

Don't trust any GOV sites since they are always and never correct. I will also be checking for myself and post some new images very soon on spring in Cal that should help you.  But send me your dates, and lets chat either by phone 9098789214 gallery or tdwolcott on skype.  

Sorry had troubles with my computer and had to get them fixed.  Tim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up