Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shutter efficiency and stitching  (Read 1485 times)

narikin

shutter efficiency and stitching
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

any stitch experts out there using leaf shutter lenses at higher shutter speeds?

if so can you tell me if you have noticed any issues with vignetting from the efficiency of leaf shutters tailing off at 1/400 or 1/500 second?

basically I was wondering if this makes for problems in short duration exposures? the work proposed involves shooting at something around 1/500 at f8 or f11

thanks

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »

Quote from: narikin
any stitch experts out there using leaf shutter lenses at higher shutter speeds?

if so can you tell me if you have noticed any issues with vignetting from the efficiency of leaf shutters tailing off at 1/400 or 1/500 second?

basically I was wondering if this makes for problems in short duration exposures? the work proposed involves shooting at something around 1/500 at f8 or f11

thanks
A partially open shutter acts like a reduction in the aperture diameter, reducing the effective exposure. Hasselblad cameras can allow for this.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

michele

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:48:27 am »

If you are using a phase back, you can take a photo for the color cast, it will correct the light falloff... I use the mamiya afd3 and, i don't know why, i can't go faster then 1/60 with the syncro flash, so when i use a 1/125 a take a shot with a white plate

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:18:45 am »

Quote from: narikin

thanks
When you use a small flash at full power, the flash duration can be more than 1/500th - check the spec of your kit... using a large flash at low power is better.

Synchro (TTL flash metering) flashes ... I think they meter during the exposure, which lengthens the exposure.

Remote  flash or slave flash also causes delays - and I think they can be significant at 1/500th.

I had problems with my Leica when some of the studio lights were not triggered directly by the camera flash.

Light travels fast, but electronics are not instant.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:04:17 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up