Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon  (Read 8330 times)

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« on: December 02, 2009, 02:19:04 pm »

Anybody have experience with this new lens yet? Would like something wide and faster for my 5DMK11, but the 35 1.4 is more than I'd like to pay.
Thanks, Peter
Peter Randall

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:37:33 am »

It's a very good lens, better than the Canon f1.4. Well eaily better between f2 - f5.6. The Canon catches up a bit at around f8 -f11.

The Zeiss does suffer a little  from CA but not to a high degree. Also there is about 2 stops vignetting at f2.

If you don't need autofocus and f1.4 you cant go wrong.

Chris Pollock

Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:20 am »

I'm interested in this lens myself. I wouldn't mind picking one up during my upcoming stay in Japan, but I don't see anyone selling them yet.

philber

Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:51 am »

Peter, I don't think that you can categorize the 35ZE as "a very good lens for those not wanting to spend on 35L". First, it is MF, and 35L is AF, which is a major difference. Second, it is a f:2.0, one stop slower thanthe Canon. Then the ZE comes with the attributes of a Zeiss lens (rendition of colour and contrast, 3D), which makes it different from the Canon. Some people prefer it, calling it more vivid, more contrasty, and the 35L, by comparison, "dull", or "flat", and others not. A clear area of Zeiss superiority is close up, where it is bitingly sharp even at minimum focusing distance.
In summary, people who love the Canon "look" would think of other lenses than the Zeiss if they covet a "lesser 35L", and Zeiss lovers would other lenses than 35L as an alternative to a 35 ZE.
My personal opinion: I sold my 35L and own a ZE 35. A superlative lens with no known weaknesses except those outlined here: very minor, but not minute CA, some vignetting wide open. By comparison, 35 has more CA, easily cured in DPP and vignetting cured in-cam by your 5D MkII.
Hope this helps.

abattaglini

Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:04:00 pm »

Quote from: peterpix
Anybody have experience with this new lens yet? Would like something wide and faster for my 5DMK11, but the 35 1.4 is more than I'd like to pay.
Thanks, Peter
No, I don't and I would like to buy it, I mean, I need a 35 mm for canon 5d, not canon. But I use 18 mm ZE and sometimes the camera doesn't work with it: it stops and I have to switch off the camera and start again shooting!
Andrea
Andrea Battaglini

sojournerphoto

Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:38:27 pm »

Quote from: peterpix
Thanks, Peter

I've got a ZF 35/2 which I use on my 1Ds3 via an adaptor and it's one of my favourite lenses. Great colour and nice rendition of oof areas as well as sharp in the focal plane. Manual focus of course.

Mike

archivue

Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:41:27 pm »

if you don't have a 50mm... you should also consider the Voigtlander 40mm Ultron II... small (pancake) and good !

The 35 zeiss is really good, but quite cumbersome !

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:37 pm »

Quote from: philber
Peter, I don't think that you can categorize the 35ZE as "a very good lens for those not wanting to spend on 35L". First, it is MF, and 35L is AF, which is a major difference. Second, it is a f:2.0, one stop slower thanthe Canon. Then the ZE comes with the attributes of a Zeiss lens (rendition of colour and contrast, 3D), which makes it different from the Canon. Some people prefer it, calling it more vivid, more contrasty, and the 35L, by comparison, "dull", or "flat", and others not. A clear area of Zeiss superiority is close up, where it is bitingly sharp even at minimum focusing distance.
In summary, people who love the Canon "look" would think of other lenses than the Zeiss if they covet a "lesser 35L", and Zeiss lovers would other lenses than 35L as an alternative to a 35 ZE.
My personal opinion: I sold my 35L and own a ZE 35. A superlative lens with no known weaknesses except those outlined here: very minor, but not minute CA, some vignetting wide open. By comparison, 35 has more CA, easily cured in DPP and vignetting cured in-cam by your 5D MkII.
Hope this helps.
I would echo Philber's comments.  I got test the lens and it ran circles around both the Canon and Nikon 35mm's.
And in low light far easier to focus manually with its inherent contrast.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

Many thanks for all the comments.
Peter Randall

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Zeiss 35 f2 for Canon
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:27:06 am »

I have them both.  The 35L for 2 years and the ZE just recently.  I haven't used the 35L since I got the ZE...  

Not that the 35L is bad, it is quite good.  However, the ZE is better in the respects mentioned above, and it is smaller (not lighter).  The 58mm threads match my 90TS so I can carry fewer filters.  The big thing is autofocus and f/1.4. If those don't matter to you then I recommend the ZE.  I searched my database of photos and found very few that were shot at f/1.4.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up