Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality of ND filters  (Read 1616 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Quality of ND filters
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:26:21 pm »

I'm in the market for a couple of neutral density filters. I spend large sums of money on the best gear that I can get my hands on. But is it worth spending over $200 for a ND filter? I see at B&H that the Schneider brand retails for well over that price. While the same size Tiffin ND filter is between $15 and $60.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Paul Sumi

Quality of ND filters
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

Quote from: bellimages
I'm in the market for a couple of neutral density filters. I spend large sums of money on the best gear that I can get my hands on. But is it worth spending over $200 for a ND filter? I see at B&H that the Schneider brand retails for well over that price. While the same size Tiffin ND filter is between $15 and $60.

Higher quality ND filters (I would also include Lee and Singh-Ray among others) are definitely worth the premium.  Tiffin ND filters can have color casts and are not truly neutral.

One caveat (which I have not experienced personally): evidently certain frequencies of light filtered through NDs will interact with digital sensors to create a reddish effect on parts of the image at long exposures.  I've used my Singh-Ray Vari-ND down to 30 seconds without seeing this effect.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:05:52 pm by PaulS »
Pages: [1]   Go Up