Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder arrangement  (Read 2624 times)

Bill Jaynes

Folder arrangement
« on: December 01, 2009, 06:59:11 pm »

In Windows Explorer, I have a folder of RAW images from a particular shoot. In the folder I have a subfolder for all the variants I've created from those RAW images. When I import these nested folders into the library [3 beta], the resulting folder list appears okay but the browse window shows all the images from the main and the subfolder together. Bridge didn't do this. Have I got a view setting off? I don't want to rebuild my way of looking at my storage.
Bill
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Folder arrangement
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:57 pm »

Not sure I understand your question, but LR will show everything under the folder you are viewing; all images in the child folders will show as well.  If you open the arrow next to the folder and drill down, it will "zoom in" on that folder and show what is in that folder along with any images in child folders within that folder you've highlighted.

You are correct this is different than bridge, but this is the way most, if not all database DAM programs work.  It's not Bridge, and it requires you to think more like a matrix than like a file system.

Dave

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Folder arrangement
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:55 pm »

Quote from: Bill Jaynes
In Windows Explorer, I have a folder of RAW images from a particular shoot. In the folder I have a subfolder for all the variants I've created from those RAW images. When I import these nested folders into the library [3 beta], the resulting folder list appears okay but the browse window shows all the images from the main and the subfolder together. Bridge didn't do this. Have I got a view setting off? I don't want to rebuild my way of looking at my storage.
Bill

That's how LR works. A parent folder shows all the images it and its subfolders contain. THis makes a lot of sense once you get used to it.

Bill Jaynes

Folder arrangement
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10:19 pm »

I'd sure as heck like a choice in the matter. I have 2 businesses on this computer apart from my photography and, having developed an uber way of seeing all my stuff over many years, I feel jerked around by this. Really don't need anybody at corporate telling me how to see or how to organize. Just pass the tools please. finis <<rant>>
Bill

Quote from: PeterAit
That's how LR works. A parent folder shows all the images it and its subfolders contain. THis makes a lot of sense once you get used to it.
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

walter.sk

Folder arrangement
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:34:34 pm »

I'd sure as heck like a choice in the matter. I have 2 businesses on this computer apart from my photography and, having developed an uber way of seeing all my stuff over many years, I feel jerked around by this. Really don't need anybody at corporate telling me how to see or how to organize. Just pass the tools please. finis <<rant>>
Bill
You do have a choice.  I don't remember if it is in LR's Preferences, or under View, or if you right-click on the folder, but somewhere among these you will find the choice of showing the files in the parent folder only, or in all subfolders.

howardm

Folder arrangement
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:39:05 pm »

it would be nice to have a choice in the matter.  Let's say that I have one 'vault' where all my images are kept, including panos, WIPs, etc etc held in subdirectories down from the main subdirectory where the source images are.  Many times, I might not want to really browse (if imported) or necessarily even import some of them.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Folder arrangement
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »

I'd sure as heck like a choice in the matter.

User error on your part...pretty easy to fix. Under the main Library menu, deselect Include Photoshop from Subfolder.

Be useful to perhaps learn the various possibilities in the app before condemning it...and Bridge CAN do what Lightroom does by default with the subfolder but it take a heck of a lot longer to display and ya gotta do it each and every time you go to the folder–which sucks...

walter.sk

Folder arrangement
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »

Bill

I just checked.  In the Library module, in the menu item "Library" there is an option to check: Show Photos In Subfolders.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Folder arrangement
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:29:04 pm »

LR is flexible, and with the addition of collections, about as configurable as you can get.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up