Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto 7B Charger, AcuteB 85W Adapter Queries  (Read 2102 times)

Conner999

Profoto 7B Charger, AcuteB 85W Adapter Queries
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:30:22 pm »

I've read some indications that using the 7B charger (aka the 2A unit) with the Acute600B (which I just received) supplies enough juice at such a sufficient rate, modeling lamp aside, that it effectively acts as an AC adapter?   In other words, it supplies enough power to charge as fast as the battery is being drained (using pops NOT modeling light)?

Also, if I understand correctly, the optional 85W adapter is strictly for powering the modeling light from mains - isolating the light from the battery?

I use manual focus lenses and find a modeling light, even a modest one, great for helping pull focus/obtaining focus confirmation.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:30:43 pm by Conner999 »

Snook

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »

Yes it does work, I have the 600R and use the 7B adaptor while in studio. I fried a couple of medling lights because I using it with 240V.
Hope that helps
Snook

julius0377

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »

Quote from: Conner999
I've read some indications that using the 7B charger (aka the 2A unit) with the Acute600B (which I just received) supplies enough juice at such a sufficient rate, modeling lamp aside, that it effectively acts as an AC adapter?   In other words, it supplies enough power to charge as fast as the battery is being drained (using pops NOT modeling light)?
This depends on you shooting rate. The 7b charger works fine on the Acute600B and recharges the unit at twice the normal speed (2.5 hours vs. 5 hours from empty.)

The Acute 600B can do about 160 pops at full power, with a recycling time of around 2.6 seconds pr. pop. This means you can drain the unit in under 10 minutes if you fire away, and I'm guessing here that the 7b charger will not be up to the task at this speed and full power.

However, I use my Acute600b in the studio from time to time as a fill light (not at full power) and connect it to my 7b charger. My main unit is a D4 and the 600b will signal a "full charge/green light" throughout a full days shooting keeping up with the D4's speed without problems. So the 7b charger will certainly help out. The charger is very expensive unless you already have a 7b or B2r pack lying around...

Quote from: Conner999
Also, if I understand correctly, the optional 85W adapter is strictly for powering the modeling light from mains - isolating the light from the battery?
This is correct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up