Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need 60" CANVAS Gallery Prints made for Expo. HELP please  (Read 2627 times)

Snook

I need 60" CANVAS Gallery Prints made for Expo. HELP please
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:19:02 am »

Hello All I just got signed on to a gallery for series I have been working 2 years on. I had 22 1.05 X 1.45 cm prints made and Want to have some 60" canvas prints made and hopefully shipped to South America. I have a little time as the expo is in March, But I want to start getting things all put together.
Can anyone suggest the best company that prints on CANVAS on the Larger size printers.
Please help me out with some suggestions.
Thank you in adavance for any recommendations.
Snook

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:19:00 am »

As someone who has been making and exhibiting 60" for the last several years I can tell you that the same image settings don't translate well at that size. For truly excellent results you'll need to develop your images differently for that size and take under consideration any "gallery wrap" areas (the sides) if you intend to stretch them and present them without a frame. Think about the final product you want to present (including surface, stretching depth, framing, etc) and work backwards, tailoring your files for that final product. Find someone truly talented and experienced at working at this size and make many smaller cropped test prints at the full size. Shipping final prints in a tube shouldn't be too hard but you'll need to consider stretching at your final destination, and the implications of transit afterwards. Work with someone local if possible, or consider acquiring the right printer if your quantity of prints makes it feasible.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Snook

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:02:51 am »

Thanks Scott for the input. Actually I already have 22 prints done on canvas that look stellar at 1.05 meters X 1.45 meters. So the little extra width I am wanting won't be much different as far as quality goes.
Again those are meters I am talkig about. I also have 2 images that are 80cm X 2.5 meters and also look impeccable from my  P30...:+}
So again 60" wil print just fine.
Anybody ave any great reliable printers to reccommend that are using the 60" printer.
Thanks again
Snook

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:30:39 am »

1x1.45 cm didn't sound right so I has assumed meters. :-] Still, you'll want to consider increasing localized contrast and possibly noise when going up to 60". It's surprising how different the visual impact of grand format printing can be...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Snook

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06:30 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
1x1.45 cm didn't sound right so I has assumed meters. :-] Still, you'll want to consider increasing localized contrast and possibly noise when going up to 60". It's surprising how different the visual impact of grand format printing can be...

You mean addig noise or getting rid of it?
Thanks for information, I am always open to new or different ideas.
I ma doing a lot of contrast as it is so do not need that.
Thanks
Snook

HarryHoffman

• http://www.harrywhoffman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:59 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Thanks for information, I am always open to new or different ideas.
I ma doing a lot of contrast as it is so do not need that.
Thanks
Snook

Bay Photo can do it. I have used them for Standard + Metal prints. Toured their shop and I think they have a 6 or 8 ft canvas printer

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:50 pm »

Adding a delicate amount of noise can be a good thing on grand format prints where the image resolution at print size is often quite low. This is the case even with 50+ megapixel images at 60+ inches.
I am doing a lot of contrast as it is so do not need that.
Global contrast is one thing but *localized* contrast is another and one of the keys to successful grand format printing.

These things are hard to talk about here and are better demonstrated in person with real world prints. These are minor details but are the icing on the cake for really high quality, grand format printmaking.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »

This is the best large format printer that I know...

http://www.patrickcarrimaging.com/fine-art-printing.html

In Albuquerque, NM.  Has an Epson 11880.

Have been surprised by the difference between prints that I have tweaked in *to perfection* on say 24x60, that needed a whole different look at 40 x whatever.  For some reason even the background wall has a disproportionately big effect on prints as they get larger.  Very informative to view Photoshop composites of the same image against white, gray, black and subtly colored backgrounds.

I think it's that very big prints start to be part of what defines the space they are in, rather than some small object within the space.  The contrast and tonality and color of huge prints has to compete or interact with the space and overall decor in ways little prints don't have to.  Some accommodations are required.  You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:39:22 pm by bill t. »

Snook

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 11:30:17 am »

Yes Bill I do, thank you.
PS.
I have been offered Epson Artist Canvas 390gsm where I live on a an epson 11880.
Is this top of the line canvas or regular?
Appreciate any comments on the Espon Artist Canvas please. Thnak you
Snook

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »

Epson Artist Canvas?  Didn't Epson drop that product a few years ago?  Maybe just a name change.

Print quality is 10% the media, and 90% the guy who tweaks the image for printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up