Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 Highlights on HM PhotoRag Baryta  (Read 1223 times)

ddolezal

HP Z3200 Highlights on HM PhotoRag Baryta
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:06:46 am »

Dear ladies an gentlemen,

I do have a Z3200 and did calibrate my favorit HM PhotoRag Baryta 315g/qm.
I also let the internal profiling solution create a profile for the paper.

The problem I am running into is that the extreme highlights do not have any definition at all. They are simply white, which irritates me a little.

In the image, the areas have RGB-Values of 243 to 252 - and I am curious if anybody else encounters this problem.

Another question is how to setup color in Photoshop:

Do I check "Let Printer handle color" and set Printer to Grayscale in the Print Dialogue
or
Do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "eciRGBV2" as Profile and Grayscale in the Print dialogue
or
do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "HMPhotoRagBaryta" as Profile and Grayscale in the Print dialogue
or
do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "eciRGBV2" as Profile and Color in the Print dialogue?

Thanks for your comments in Advance,

best regards from Hamburg, Germany,

Dieter

Geoff Wittig

HP Z3200 Highlights on HM PhotoRag Baryta
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

Quote from: ddolezal
Dear ladies an gentlemen,

I do have a Z3200 and did calibrate my favorit HM PhotoRag Baryta 315g/qm.
I also let the internal profiling solution create a profile for the paper.

The problem I am running into is that the extreme highlights do not have any definition at all. They are simply white, which irritates me a little.

In the image, the areas have RGB-Values of 243 to 252 - and I am curious if anybody else encounters this problem.

Another question is how to setup color in Photoshop:

Do I check "Let Printer handle color" and set Printer to Grayscale in the Print Dialogue
or
Do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "eciRGBV2" as Profile and Grayscale in the Print dialogue
or
do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "HMPhotoRagBaryta" as Profile and Grayscale in the Print dialogue
or
do I check "Let Photoshop handle color" and choose "eciRGBV2" as Profile and Color in the Print dialogue?

Thanks for your comments in Advance,

best regards from Hamburg, Germany,

Dieter

Hmmm. I've actually had very good results using the similar HP Z3100 with Hahnemüle photo rag baryta, including decent highlight detail, but I'll have to go and examine some of my prints a little more closely to be sure. Most of my black & white prints are heavy on the shadow and 3/4 tone side rather than high key, so it might be concealed from me if there's a problem.

As far as settings, for black & white I choose 'let printer handle color' and HP's black & white mode, which I find tones my images very nicely. (I usually tilt the shadows warm and the highlights cool). Then in the Photoshop dialogue I choose the HPR baryta profile, so the printer driver has access to that information. This seems to work great.

I guess if all else fails, you can apply a levels adjustment layer just before printing, and pull the highlight output slider back to an RGB value around 248 and see if that preserves tonal distinctions in your highlights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up