Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Releases and Legal Crap  (Read 1693 times)

CBarrett

Releases and Legal Crap
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:03:34 am »

I didn't know where else to ask this, but figure you guys might have an answer.

I shot this restaurant for an architect client and then they asked me to go back and shoot it filled with the people, off the cuff (thank God I have the D3!).  Now they are wondering, what are the legal restrictions.  Obviously I didn't ask everyone in the restaurant to sign a release.

Then again if you see a pic of a parade in the newspaper, they haven't secured releases from everyone on the parade route.  Can they use the shots in a book without getting sued by the lunch crowd?

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

-Chris

ASSEMBLY

• http://www.assemblystudio.net
Releases and Legal Crap
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:19:54 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
I didn't know where else to ask this, but figure you guys might have an answer.

I shot this restaurant for an architect client and then they asked me to go back and shoot it filled with the people, off the cuff (thank God I have the D3!).  Now they are wondering, what are the legal restrictions.  Obviously I didn't ask everyone in the restaurant to sign a release.

Then again if you see a pic of a parade in the newspaper, they haven't secured releases from everyone on the parade route.  Can they use the shots in a book without getting sued by the lunch crowd?

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

-Chris

Dont quote me on this, but I believe that if you are in a public place you are not required to get releases from the people you photograph as long as the intended use is strictly for marketing for the designers.

DanielStone

Releases and Legal Crap
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:01:08 am »

chris,

are these going to be architectural shots, or shots of diners themselves?

I'd imagine that you could just stop down, and keep your ISO low, so everyone is blurred to the point of not being able to been picked out of the crowd.

just sayin, "blur em"  

-Dan

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Releases and Legal Crap
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:31:10 am »

You already mention the difference, news vs. commercial use. In the former you do not need releases (in most cases) in the latter you do (in virtually all cases). An advertisement is quite clearly commercial use where you should have releases, a book might be seen as in the 'grey zone. It is difficult stuff to fully grasp, CYA is always your best option when possible. I always thought in the US people are even more aware of these issues than over here and here people are already being very difficult about this. No I would not put people in a book without their consent in writing, at least not recognizable.

Otherwise blurring the ones without release could do the trick.

Pages: [1]   Go Up