Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2  (Read 31009 times)

BJNY

Leica S2
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I'd suggest you may be wrong on the raw converter issue, we don't need more raw converters we need a couple of good ones. The lens line may broaden with time.

I'm not sure of how the S2 fits in the market. The MF market seems to be limited and dominated by Hasselblad and Phase One. The professional/well headed amateur market can probably accept the prices Leica has, if the system lives up to expectations.

Leica can also probably improve the camera and correct some issues with firmware upgrades.

Best regards
Erik

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/well-heeled
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:36:39 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Leica S2
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:13 am »

Thanks!

Slip of toungue/brain/fingers!

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: BJNY
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/well-heeled
Erik Kaffehr

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Leica S2
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 04:01:11 am »

Quote from: ddk
If anyone has the gall to introduce an ultra expensive camera, without even a basic lens line up nor bother to come up with a halfway decent dedicated raw converter, and call it a pro product, its Leica. It seems to me that as long as there's a red dot, its holy.

The die hard Leica fan must be a different animal. The M8 fiasco should have killed them outright; they sold a faulty product which they tried to coverup and lie about, at a very high prices. Instead what did they do when the proverbial $hit hit the fan? Absolutely nothing! They convinced the groupies to spend more money for overpriced filters and stick them on top of their very expensive glass and these people bought into it. WTF, I rest my case...

I have never figured out why people have this almost racist attitude to Leica and it's users. I have never owned a Leica myself. I can see why other people would buy it, RF, small, quality lenses, No AA, quality results, weighs little and quiet. As for the IR issue, Leica quickly admitted the fault and worked the best solution they could. Try getting Canon to admit to a fault, they had my 1DsmkIII back 3 times, every photographer I know that has one had the same fault and sent them back to get them fixed, yet talk to someone at Canon about your concerns and always the reply was "never heard of that before". So Canon sold me a camera that couldn't do infinity, crucial for my work and a basic prerequisite for any camera I reckon. It's sort of fixed, but should go back as all my lenses are microadjusted roughly by the same amount. If all I had to do was screw a filter on my lens to fix it, tat would of been easier and quicker than sending the camera off 3 times (One was for a new shutter, about 20,000 clicks, 5000 less than my smkII made).
If I have a criticism of Leica it's that they always technology wise appear to be one step behind others.
Kevin.
Kevin.

fredjeang

Leica S2
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 04:47:24 am »

Quote from: KevinA
I have never figured out why people have this almost racist attitude to Leica and it's users. I have never owned a Leica myself. I can see why other people would buy it, RF, small, quality lenses, No AA, quality results, weighs little and quiet. As for the IR issue, Leica quickly admitted the fault and worked the best solution they could. Try getting Canon to admit to a fault, they had my 1DsmkIII back 3 times, every photographer I know that has one had the same fault and sent them back to get them fixed, yet talk to someone at Canon about your concerns and always the reply was "never heard of that before". So Canon sold me a camera that couldn't do infinity, crucial for my work and a basic prerequisite for any camera I reckon. It's sort of fixed, but should go back as all my lenses are microadjusted roughly by the same amount. If all I had to do was screw a filter on my lens to fix it, tat would of been easier and quicker than sending the camera off 3 times (One was for a new shutter, about 20,000 clicks, 5000 less than my smkII made).
If I have a criticism of Leica it's that they always technology wise appear to be one step behind others.
Kevin.
Kevin,

I do not think there is any kind of racism towards Leica. Most users, me included, have a great respect for such a lengendary brand. But I think that a lot of us and also potential buyers are feeling that something goes wrong in the red circle house.
The M8 was a problematic camera, and Leica tried to fix it, it is true. One big mistake is one thing and everybody has forgiven with the very impresive M9, but it seems that they haven't really learned from it.
In your example with Canon, if I understand well, this was a quality control problem, not a conceptional mistake. One think is a bad exemplary, another is an immature design. They will probably fix most of the problems in the future, but what they have done so far is put their image at risk and gave a bad taste  to the pros. When you talk about a camera in this price, targeting the high end professional, you can not allowed yourself to make such basics imperfections.
If I write something wrong here in the forum, the consecuences are zero. When Leica put an imperfect product on the market, it is all an industry and human beings who are putten at risk.
Also, the S2 project was a very courageous but a very risky one. The natural way would have been, according to me, a R9 digital successor, FF in the spirit of the D3. They have choosen another path, more extreme but much more dangerous. (now Hasselblad is coming with cutted prices, Red is on the corner etc...) So mistakes are even less tolerated, they had to proove that their system is really competitive and failed so far for mistakes that could have been avoided if a better care and listening would have been done.
So there is this impression that they allowed themselves these sort of imprecisions just because they have the best reputation...mmm, very dangerous actitude.
My feeling, and I may be badly informed, is that they have the best fine engineers and "savoir faire" of photographic industry but there is serious problem in other departments.
Their commemorations special editions tell a lot about what kind of mentality has emerged recently from their marketing department.

Fred.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Leica S2
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

Hi,

I'd suggest you may be wrong on the raw converter issue, we don't need more raw converters we need a couple of good ones.

Hi Erik,

I wish it was so, I have products from Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, Leaf and Phase and in every case the dedicated converters give better results than my universal software, ie PS, LR, SP, RC, and LZ. The differences aren't subtle either, I get superior results with the dedicated software everywhere; noise, dr, tonal range, color, moire and even sharpening. I would love to do everything with one or two pieces of software, but the nature of the beast doesn't allow it yet.

The lens line may broaden with time.

I'm sure that it will and maybe at that time I'll look at the S2 seriously again, of course if its chip isn't out dated by then...Price is also an issue, one can get great deals in higher spec'd products from others today, how the do you think the market will look like by the time they have a competitive lens line up?

I'm not sure of how the S2 fits in the market. The MF market seems to be limited and dominated by Hasselblad and Phase One. The professional/well-heeled amateur market can probably accept the prices Leica has, if the system lives up to expectations.

Leica can also probably improve the camera and correct some issues with firmware upgrades.

MF isn't just for the pro sector, there are plenty of serious amateurs out there shooting MF too. IMO the S2 could have fit very nicely in the market if Leica had put out a complete system. I was in line to buy one but I can't take them as a serious player at this point, specially when I see what Phase and Hasselblad are offering. Maybe they'll get their act together for the S3.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Leica S2
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:06 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Kevin,

In your example with Canon, if I understand well, this was a quality control problem, not a conceptional mistake. One think is a bad exemplary, another is an immature design. They will probably fix most of the problems in the future, but what they have done so far is put their image at risk and gave a bad taste  to the pros. When you talk about a camera in this price, targeting the high end professional, you can not allowed yourself to make such basics imperfections.

Fred.
Fred,
No there are some very anti Leica people about, all to ready to pick up on anything that does not fit in with their way of working and thinking. The M8 had problems, mainly the IR fiasco and somethings it did not do as well as other cameras, but the Leica had plus points that no other camera had or has.
No design issue, every single professional photographer I know had the same problem.
And what basic flaw does the S2 have, have I missed something?

Kevin.
Kevin.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Leica S2
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 11:16:38 am »

Kevin.

Nothing racist about it Kevin, that's how things are in Leica land. Would you have kept your Canon if they came out and said to you that your mk3 was designed with a major flaw, it will never focus properly but you'd be able to get away with it if you spend another $200 each for a bunch filters to stick in front of your 85/1.2, TSE 17mm, 300/2.8 or any other expensive lens that you own, would you go along with it? How many high end Canon users do you think would say fine and carry on?

Flash forward to 2010, a brand new NICHE product with a 20k+ price tag just for a digital body that's becoming obsolete as we speak. Better still, no lenses to shoot with, just a promise of something in the future, from a company that never kept a deadline, and is horribly stretched thin both physically and financially. Would any serious photographer but a devoted Leica fan go for this? Lets not forget the software issue, they're banking on some future release by Adobe of something, but for now its all a bunch of band aids, compromises and promises. We don't even know how far is Adobe willing to customize their software for Leica. Would any serious photographers stick by another company if they unloaded this BS into the market. Yet here we are still talking about the S2, people writing reviews about it and even defending it when we would have laughed our heads off and dismissed it outright if it wasn't Leica...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:09:04 pm by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

fredjeang

Leica S2
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:08 am »

Fred,
No there are some very anti Leica people about, all to ready to pick up on anything that does not fit in with their way of working and thinking. The M8 had problems, mainly the IR fiasco and somethings it did not do as well as other cameras, but the Leica had plus points that no other camera had or has.
No design issue, every single professional photographer I know had the same problem.
And what basic flaw does the S2 have, have I missed something?

Kevin.
Kevin,
I would like sincerely to see Leica into the battle in the next years. That would be a lot better for all of us if such a brand with this level of savoir-faire and approach will survive and provide top level tools. I wish they do it.
But DDK's posts, sorry if I may name a poster, resumed my feeling about the S.

The sensor body in a few years will be obsolete, and there is nothing you can do but buy another one again. They have not taken into consideration the video capability, wich would have suit very well the body design, and that would have been a great sale argument.
I know here in Spain, all life Leica R users that had to swich to Canon because they realised that their brand abandonned the R serie to put itself into a format where they first need to give confidence to potential buyers. (and that not many R users are willing to adopt because of its price and imposibility to use their expensive optics they have been invested on for many years). This is where they failed so far to me: users first impressions=This has problems, it is not matured. Of course, they will, like with the M8, fix most if not all the issues, but you know that impressions, feeling have a lot of power.
I think that they had a market for, first R9 succesor, and then going further with something bigger later, but they've done a huge step and it looks that this jacket is a bit big.

Hope I'm wrong and we will see Leica as a serious and settled player in the future.

Regards,
Fred.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica S2
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 01:06:06 am »

Nothing prevents Leica from designing the S2 to be factory-upgradable to a new sensor - send it in, and get a new hi-rez or hi-iso or CMOS chip, and maybe LiveView electronics drop-shiipped back home for $10K? Maybe get the shutter and mirrorbox swapped too, and a new battery thrown in? Also, this would be a steady revenue stream which would bypass the dealers, just like Microsoft got - dealers sell an S2 once, Leica gets 2 or 3 upgrades out of it because used cameras can be upgraded too ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Leica S2
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 03:31:15 am »

Nothing racist about it Kevin, that's how things are in Leica land. Would you have kept your Canon if they came out and said to you that your mk3 was designed with a major flaw, it will never focus properly but you'd be able to get away with it if you spend another $200 each for a bunch filters to stick in front of your 85/1.2, TSE 17mm, 300/2.8 or any other expensive lens that you own, would you go along with it? How many high end Canon users do you think would say fine and carry on?

Flash forward to 2010, a brand new NICHE product with a 20k+ price tag just for a digital body that's becoming obsolete as we speak. Better still, no lenses to shoot with, just a promise of something in the future, from a company that never kept a deadline, and is horribly stretched thin both physically and financially. Would any serious photographer but a devoted Leica fan go for this? Lets not forget the software issue, they're banking on some future release by Adobe of something, but for now its all a bunch of band aids, compromises and promises. We don't even know how far is Adobe willing to customize their software for Leica. Would any serious photographers stick by another company if they unloaded this BS into the market. Yet here we are still talking about the S2, people writing reviews about it and even defending it when we would have laughed our heads off and dismissed it outright if it wasn't Leica...

I was not specifically talking about the S as it was the M you mentioned. To be honest as I don't own or plan to own any Leica non of it is my problem. It's an endless expensive merry-go-round where ever you place your bet. Sometime I just wish digital would go away altogether.

Kevin.

Kevin.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Leica S2
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 03:57:40 am »

I was not specifically talking about the S as it was the M you mentioned. To be honest as I don't own or plan to own any Leica non of it is my problem. It's an endless expensive merry-go-round where ever you place your bet. Sometime I just wish digital would go away altogether.

Kevin.

Kevin.

Rob C

Leica S2
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 05:59:37 am »

Sometime I just wish digital would go away altogether.

Kevin.

Kevin, sometimes I feel exactly the same. Then, I get the urge to try something and I get almost instant results which changes everything...

I think that it depends on what you're doing at the time. I loved transparencies and the fact that after the shoot they were your problem only until the edit and then you just sent in the bill or, if personal, pulled out the scanner.

Mainly, I resent the time sitting at a computer tempting DVT which, for me, is no idle fear. I had an extraordinary event happen two days ago: I was spotting out a file, saving as I went along, and saved again at the end of the work. Next day, I opened it up and had lost all the spotting. I have no idea why, nor how, but it happened nonetheless, and I had to re-do it all. This time, it stayed put. So far.

Rob C

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
Leica S2
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 08:11:11 am »

In my opinion the biggest mistake Leica made was dumping on their loyal R users.  I sold almost every piece of my Leica equipment (still offering my 280/400 APO modular system with f2.8 focusing module if anyone is interested) because Leica trashed all R users.  Some people think this was a good move on Leica's part but, to me, it was the mistake, that if Leica fails, will be the main reason for their demise.  You just can't throw out 20 years of loyal customers as if they are trash.

fredjeang

Leica S2
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2010, 08:14:44 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen
In my opinion the biggest mistake Leica made was dumping on their loyal R users.  I sold almost every piece of my Leica equipment (still offering my 280/400 APO modular system with f2.8 focusing module if anyone is interested) because Leica trashed all R users.  Some people think this was a good move on Leica's part but, to me, it was the mistake, that if Leica fails, will be the main reason for their demise.  You just can't throw out 20 years of loyal customers as if they are trash.
I agree!
See this link: http://www.summilux.net/r10/index.php?lang=en

Cheers,

Fred.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Leica S2
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:59 am »

One of the keys to the market success of the S2 will be if they can become a presence in rental houses. So far a search for Leica S2 Rentals points to our companies Leica S2 Rental page, Dale Photo's, and an online warehouse-style rental place.

I personally don't think that any of us will get a particularly strong response for rental until there are at least the four initial lenses out in LS versions. However, with a 35mm, 70mm, 120mm, and 180mm leaf shutter lens version out we may get response from those fashion shooters who are:
1) currently shooting dSLRs
2) want to differentiate themselves branding and image quality wise from 5DII, 1DsIII, D3X etc shooters
3) are shooting on a budget where the difference between renting a 5DII kit and a renting a S2 kit is only a small % of the production budget

We have more than a few shooters a month who only request prime lenses and often enquire about Zeiss for the Canon because they want top notch lenses.

We also have a lot of shooters in Miami who rent the H system specifically for the leaf shutter lenses.

So there is a potential for a market there IMO. Only time will tell.

Doug Peterson

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

erick.boileau

• http://
Leica S2
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:44 am »

Quote from: gdwhalen

I agree 100%

vgogolak

• http://
Leica S2
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2010, 12:24:37 pm »

Leica strategy is obvious; announce the discontinuance of "R" line. R users sell to those with Sony or Canon bodies, or just trash. Put out M's and S's for 2-3 years.

In 2012 a Leica R-AF will be announce, 50MP FF, with a new line of lenses, R mount (or R adaptable). There will be enough holdouts, with a few R lenses, just enough to seem 'worthwhile"
Any you will buy it!

So will I

Or it may be a 4/3 but it will come with AF lenses, S2 technology and a new lens line. The adapter for older R lenses only requires a registry distance compatible. (or a simple reverse say .7x extender)

Why do I think this? Leica has repeatedly said, "there will be a product for the "R" users. They Said R lenses were disc. and R bodies. They did NOT say you would never again have a Leica product for R lenses.

But I have been known to be wrong  :-).....

....rarely     LOL

Best regards
Victor

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Leica S2
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:31 pm »

I really would like to know whether Leica is SELLING the camera to people and if the new Leica dealers are happy how it is going ? I can only speak for two dealers in Germany, who both took the path of wanting to sell the S2. They both had around 10 preorders and so on, in the end they both canceled their contract  with Leica and haven't sold one single S2. The only two things remaining are a Leica Logo on the Homepage and around 20-40 Leica S2 booklets.  So is it better in the US ? ?
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

fredjeang

Leica S2
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:20 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
Leica strategy is obvious; announce the discontinuance of "R" line. R users sell to those with Sony or Canon bodies, or just trash. Put out M's and S's for 2-3 years.

In 2012 a Leica R-AF will be announce, 50MP FF, with a new line of lenses, R mount (or R adaptable). There will be enough holdouts, with a few R lenses, just enough to seem 'worthwhile"
Any you will buy it!

So will I

Or it may be a 4/3 but it will come with AF lenses, S2 technology and a new lens line. The adapter for older R lenses only requires a registry distance compatible. (or a simple reverse say .7x extender)

Why do I think this? Leica has repeatedly said, "there will be a product for the "R" users. They Said R lenses were disc. and R bodies. They did NOT say you would never again have a Leica product for R lenses.

But I have been known to be wrong  :-).....

....rarely     LOL

Best regards
Victor
Victor, I have to say, after reading your post carefuly over and over again, that you might be absolutely right.

Fred.

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Leica S2
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2010, 01:03:20 pm »

Not sure if he got through a dealer, or Leica themselves since he's on the list for prototype testing (got #21 and #24 M9 models), but I know at least one shooter in the US with an S2. He took it out for a spin the other day.

His blog post about it:
http://aphotocontributor.typepad.com/aphot...real-beast.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:03:38 pm by LiamStrain »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up